Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $527.15 ( +8.14 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Whose MAC (address) is it anyway?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 20, 2009 01:08PM
been trying to work the kinks out of an old D-Link DI-624M wifi router pressed into service to replace a stubborn, older, DI-614+, and while I'm still grappling w/ connectivity issues, there appears to be a freeloader in the neighborhood; an unknown MAC address shows up in the wifi client table almost immediately after reboot/startup, even though the MAC address filter does not include that address... so how do I find out what device is doing this? one of the connectivity issues is that when I enable WEP in any fashion, Mrs. Buzz's laptop won't get past the wifi router and out to the internet, though enabling WEP seems to curtail the interloper. There are close to dozen different wifi's that can collectively be seen around here from different rooms, and I have no idea how many computers are related to them... according to MAC address vendor guide, I'm looking for something from linksys, but is there a way to figure out if it's a wifi card, cardbus adapter, access point/bridge, usb adapter, etc. to at least get a jump start on finding it? kinda like to have a clue what sort of threat we're dealing with...
thanks,

Buzz
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Whose MAC (address) is it anyway?
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 20, 2009 01:34PM
it's probably me.
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 20, 2009 01:39PM
Not sure I can help you with the MAC address issue, but if you use a 13 character WEP password you may find that Mrs. Buzz can then get on with WEP enabled.

I am not clear from the post whether Mrs. Buzz can or can't get onto the Linksys with WEP enabled, or if it is just getting to the internet. Either way, I'd try it.

Also, I am surprised that if you have MAC filtering turned on, and a table of accepted devices loaded into the router, that it would accept a MAC address not in the table.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: November 20, 2009 01:43PM
As to finding out what kind of MAC address it is, if you already know it is a Linksys you could contact Linksys directly and ask. However, I don't really see how that will help.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 20, 2009 07:30PM
I think the whole thing goes back to the wireless to wired bridging issue... w/ the 13 character WEP, Mrs. Buzz can connect to the D-Link via wifi, but going out to the internet is a no go... w/ just MAC filtering, she can get to the internet as long as a wired device has already established internet connectivity; if her laptop is the first to try, it gets to the D-Link, but no further until a wired device connects, then she is good to go. I see a new router in our future... look for the 614 & 624 coming to a free stuff Monday near you...also, found out linksys is ethernet bridge so added it to OK list.
Date: November 21, 2009 08:37PM
The Gizmodo list that pRICE cUBE posted has a few routers on it. I think there was a basic one for $20.

Good luck.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login