advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Attn: Cyclists - help me pick tires and tubes
Posted by: volcs0
Date: April 15, 2006 03:27PM
Admittedly, I know little about bicycle tires and tubes. I have changed them before, and I'd like to keep doing so.

I have a used Specialized "Rockhopper", and it needs new tires. One of the tubes also is flat.

The tires say "Specialized 26x1.95".

I went to the Specialized site, but it is a morass of options and possibilities. I googled the above name and dimensions, and I get a lots of hits - mostly ebay UK.

What is the best option? Please don't say, "Just take it to the local bicycle guy". I've given that guy hundreds of dollars - I'd like to do this myself.

Thanks.

Sam V.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Attn: Cyclists - help me pick tires and tubes
Posted by: dbow
Date: April 15, 2006 04:23PM
On road/off road or a little of both? Weight important?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 15, 2006 04:29PM
dude, it is rather easy.

You want to do this mail-order I assume? If so, go to www.performancebike.com

You know your tire size, and that tire size will also tell you what size range tube you need. You can go up or down a bit on tire width, but a 1.95 is a pretty standard size for a mountain bike, or a hybrid. Read up on the descriptions, and look at the tread designs to gain an understanding about what the tires are good for, and kind if match that to what you use your bike for,

Right now performance bike has a lot of tires on sale and probably deals on tubes as well. I recommend getting a spare tube or two, a patch kit, and some tire levers/irons. Even super spiffy tires, a few tubes, and the patch kit and some levers should run under $100 shipped, more like $75. [www.performancebike.com]

Lots of tires in the under $30 price range. Your tubes probably have Scraeder type fill valves. they are the same as your car. Some have Presta valves. That is what SV or PV means when they talk about tubes.

Swapping out the tires and tubes may be a 45 minute job if you have almost no experience. If you google, you can probably get some detailed instructions that will walk you through the process.

Any specifics questions, send me a PM.

I'm not a bike expert by any means, but I am my wife's tech support for her triathlon bike. Right now she is training for the Seattle to Portland race in a day, which is 206 miles. That should give you some idea of her skill level, and the quality of bike she has.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2006 04:40PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 15, 2006 09:08PM
nashbar.com

They have a catalog similar to performancebike.com
Posted by: h'
Date: April 15, 2006 09:17PM
Any mountain bike tires (26") will fit.

Anything on this page:
[www.pricepoint.com]

Or this page:
[www.performancebike.com]

Or this page:
[www.performancebike.com]

Or these pages:
[www.nashbar.com]
[www.nashbar.com]
[www.nashbar.com]

All three solid companies I've had good experience with.

I ride mountain bikes around the city almost exclusively these days, and have fallen into a groove of preferring the ones with sort of smooth centers and some tread on the outside, like this:
[www.nashbar.com]
Or this:
[www.nashbar.com]

Or, if you want some good classic all-round not too expensive knobbies, I recommend a Panaracer Smoke on the rear and a Fire on the front:
(oops, can't link to that search-- both $14.95).

Good luck . . . remember that the label goes on the drive side.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2006 09:19PM by h'.
Date: April 15, 2006 10:06PM
didn/t know about the ;abel. I noticed about the tire rotation markings, but never knew about the label always goes on the left side.

I have never done business with nashbar, but they have good prices, and i have heard good things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2006 10:10PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: April 15, 2006 10:11PM
for starters, where do you ride your bike and under what conditions?

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: h'
Date: April 15, 2006 10:18PM
Racer X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> didn/t know about the ;abel. I noticed about the
> tire rotation markings, but never knew about the
> label always goes on the left side.
>
> I have never done business with nashbar, but they
> have good prices, and i have heard good things.
>
>
>
> Edited 2 times. Last edit at 04/15/06 09:10PM by
> Racer X.

Ahem . . . it goes on the DRIVE side, not the driver side :-)

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Date: April 15, 2006 10:41PM
Man, I love this place.

Thanks for all the links - am checking them out now.

It is just city riding, trails, etc. Nothing "off-road".

I'll report back...

Posted by: IronMac
Date: April 16, 2006 06:32AM
I've been cycling for decades and didn't know about the tire label trick. Thanks!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 16, 2006 11:40AM
i also second these tires -
[www.nashbar.com]
Date: April 16, 2006 04:50PM
OK.

Here is what I ordered.

2 Panaracer Fire Xc Pro ATB Tire $13.46 $26.91
3 Nashbar ATB Presta Tube $4.04 $12.12
1 Innovations Seal and Flate $5.36 $5.36
1 Park Tool Essential Tool Kit $13.46 $13.46

Order Totals

Sub Total : $64.27

Thanks for the tips.

-sam
Date: April 16, 2006 11:56PM
good choices. Looks like those tires just went off sale. Now almost twice that.

My wife does triathlons, and it is amazing how many people will do them on mountain bikes on paved surfaces with ultra knobby off-road mud tires. The extra amount of effort to overcome that much rolling resistance made my legs hurt in sympathy. That much noise from the wheels should have been a clue for the clueless.

and I edited my post correcting the side the label goes on last night but it never took I guess.
Date: April 17, 2006 12:46AM
I read a lot of reviews on many of the tires. Any time I saw, "horrible when wet" or "terrible when turning", I got scared. I'm not a great rider, and a lot of my ride is alongside traffic. These tires seemed (from reviews) to be a reasonable combination of good traction and "all-around". I'm sure the other "smoother" tires would be easier to ride, but I'd rather push harder and be a little safer, if that makes any sense.

I should have them Wednesday - then I can try 'em out.

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

-sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018