Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.75 ( -6.95 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: TiVo Desktop 2.8 and Windows 7
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: December 13, 2009 01:59PM
I have a clean new Windows 7 running on a Dell GX280. It runs on one partition of a 160 GB drive, the second partition for data only. The 160 GB drive was wiped out prior to the new Windows 7 installation. I also have two 1 TB drives striped together as one 2 TB drive, carried over from XP where I have transferred files from TiVo Desktop. All drives are SATA.

Prior to above setup, the previous setup had dual boot XP Home and Windows 7 RC. TiVo Desktop 2.8 had no issue transferring files to the 2 TB drive via Windows 7. After wiping out XP Home and Windows 7 RC with the new Window 7, TiVo Desktop 2.8 can transfer to either partition of the 160 GB drive with no issue. But, when I select the 2 TB drive for transfer, I get a dialogue box that says "Unable to begin transfer of recording. Access is denied."

Any suggestions why I can't transfer with TiVo Desktop to the 2 TB drive with the new Windows 7? I can copy files to and from the 2 TB drive just fine for other things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 02:49PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: TiVo Desktop 2.8 and Windows 7
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 13, 2009 05:23PM
That's a tough one. Have you tried reinstalling Tivo Desktop?

Also, what is the setup of the 2TB stripe? Internal SATA drives RAIDed through software, or external eSATA raided through hardware? My guess is the former?
Date: December 13, 2009 06:52PM
DRR...

The 160 GB drive is on one of the two SATA ports of the Motherboard. The other port goes to an external port on one of the PCI slot-covers in the back, I use that with external SATA devices when needed.

The two striped 1 TB drives are on a SATA PCI card that I picked up from Monoprice, forget the brand right off, I can check if needed. The PCI card has two ports, the two 1 TB drives hook up to that. I don't recall right off hand how I set them up -- software that came with card or software that was with Windows XP? Hmmm... My initial guess is software that came with card.

Curious why Windows 7 RC could use the striped drives and my new Windows 7 cannot through TiVo Desktop 2.8. Did I wipe something important out when dropping the XP Home partition? It was on XP Home that I setup that striped drives. The new Windows 7 sees and copies to & from the striped drives just fine.

I did reload the TiVo Desktop 2.8, same results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 06:54PM by SKYLANE.
Date: December 13, 2009 08:13PM
Do you know what kind of a format it was? Did you have some utility that allowed you to format the 2 TB volume as FAT32? Was the 2 TB volume HTFS set to be shared with no security?

in tha 510.
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 13, 2009 09:26PM
It's a strange problem, because you can copy to and from the 2TB RAID volume for other things, right? Just not Tivo desktop? That means Windows 7 sees the volume, recognizes the filesystem, mounts it, etc.

I wonder if you have some type of permissions/access control restrictions that's preventing Tivo Desktop from writing to the volume?
Date: December 14, 2009 12:42AM
File System is NTFS.

Yes, the new Windows 7 copies files to and from the 2 TB drive just fine.

So, what about Sharing?

So, I set the TiVo Transfer folder to share with EVERYONE. Low and behold, the TiVo Desktop now transfers. I set sharing to NO just for kicks, and TiVo Desktop still transfers. I selected another folder that was there before the Win 7 upgrade, and it still transfers. Go figure. Not sure what I did in SHARING that triggered things to start, but it seems to be working now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login