Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.99 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chinese finger trap-like device for fishing wire through walls
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: December 18, 2009 08:30PM
I borrowed one of these from a co-worker and want to get one of my own. It's like a Chinese finger-trap on one end, you collapse it and slide the wire in. Release and it holds the wire tight. The other end has a loop where you can tie on fishing line or connect to fiberglass wire snakes. Anyone know what one of these are called? I assume they can be purchased at a big-box hardware, but not sure when I don't even know what it's called.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chinese finger trap-like device for fishing wire through walls
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 18, 2009 08:38PM
Sounds awesome, but I've never run across one before. Might be more rare than you think.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 18, 2009 08:42PM
It's usually called a "basket puller" or "basket set"

Use those search terms along with "Greenlee" and you should find one

They come in lots of different sizes - up to ones that can pull a couple inches of cable.

<edit>

This what you're looking for ?
[www.toolsdirect.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 08:49PM by lafinfil.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: December 18, 2009 08:50PM
Yes! That's it! $41!? Sheesh... I'll keep looking around. Thanks!
Date: December 18, 2009 08:54PM
That was just one I pulled up on a quick search - probably bigger that you need

Here's a few more starting at $22 - you can probably fin cheaper once you know what you want.
[www.toolup.com]

Probably other brands too. Greenlee was the first that came to mind

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 18, 2009 09:03PM
That, along with one of those loooong, flexible drill bits are miracle workers for putting outlets in after the fact.

Spending the money for the thing that helps keep the drill bit curved so that it fits in through a fresh wall outlet hole but lets the bit be perpendicular to the horizontal 2x4 you can't see at the bottom inside drywall was what I chafed at having to buy.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: December 18, 2009 09:03PM
They sell them in the electronics section of big box Home Improvement stores.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 18, 2009 09:04PM
Back in the old days, we used a fish tape.

You bent the wire over to form a loop and used electrical tape to close the loop.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 18, 2009 09:14PM
Ditto MacArtist!

That is the way I learned to do it at the owner builder center electrical class. Just used that trick this past week.
Date: December 18, 2009 09:20PM
MacArtist
Back in the old days, we used a fish tape.

You bent the wire over to form a loop and used electrical tape to close the loop.

You can use the baskets with a fish tape too. They are handy when pulling multiple wires
at the same time - less of a tendency to come off. If you fold and tape multiple wires the
head gets too big to pull through the conduit. Right tool for the right job.

Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: December 18, 2009 09:20PM
What you're looking for is also called a Kellems Grip. Straight fish tapes are nice but using a Kellems grip is better, it's a much straighter pull, less stress on the wire.

Greenlee makes good ones as well now; I doubt Kellem's is still in business.

[www.mygreenlee.com]

Probably the coolest tool in 20 years for doing that job is the DVersibit system; it's basically a bunch of long drillbits that you can drill up to like 20 feet using multiple extensions with - great for going from one, two, story houses from the basement all the way to the attic. Of course they make short ones too. (If you do electical work professionally, you can have a golf bag full of different sizes and lengths, I did.....), they have eyelets in the end of the bit, once you drill through where you want the wire to go, you put a Kellems grip on the end (it's got a ball bearing swivel like a fishing leader on it) and pull it right back through the hole you drilled.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 18, 2009 09:35PM
When I installed my sprinkler system, the vibratory plow had a wire mesh "Chinese Finger torture" on it. This device pulls the pipe through the ground, about 15" below surface.

[74.125.95.132]

MAXI-GRIPS

Maxi-Grips are the most durable, convenient and economical pipe and cable gripping tools on the market today. They use a uniquely designed steel nose-cone and a replaceable steel mesh grip. Each model has a wide gripping range that will accommodate several sizes of pipe and cable. For instance, an MG-125A will grip 3/4”, 1” and 1 1/4” PVC and Poly pipe sizes. A contractor would need to purchase several competitors’ gripping devices to pull the same pipe sizes.

Gripping and releasing pipe and cable is much easier and faster than other devices – NO CLAMPS, CUTTER, HAMMER, DRILL OR TAPE REQUIRED.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 18, 2009 10:06PM
I learn something new every day here.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 18, 2009 11:27PM
I've used those for wire pulling through long bundles and conduit. They work pretty well.

At home, however, I use fish tape and duct tape for the wire securing part.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 19, 2009 06:39AM
I'll never ever reveal I know this, it's like being the only guy in the neighborhood with a pickup truck.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 19, 2009 06:56AM
I grew up with guys that owned a TOOL RENTAL, where we PLAYED (.22 caliber nail drivers... he he).

Also, mech engineer for auto company, who also builds FUNNY CARS.

etc.

We made (from solid billets) anything and everything that we could not find. We had snowmobiles, 6 wheeled amphibious things, motorcycles, souped up lawnmowers [great hayrides!] everyone had a Hemi this or that, one guy (at age 13) had pilots license. Lots of fun and practical experience. My kids could never come close to experiencing all that stuff. It helped that my cousin was chief of police, too, to get us out of everything. And that the Sheriff lived two doors down. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login