advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Netflix Closed Caption?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 23, 2009 11:38AM
I find closed caption very useful, especially when we lower the volume at night (to hear if the kids are sleeping) or when we miss a word/sentence (ESL here both of us).

Usually the CC is pretty good on TV or DVDs, but streaming from Netflix seems to lack CC. or is there a setting that I overlooked? I use a ROKU connected via HDMI, and I turned on the CC on TV, but there is no CC.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netflix Closed Caption?
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: December 23, 2009 11:53AM
Q:Can I see subtitles or closed captions while watching movies instantly on my PC?

A: Foreign-language movies streamed to your PC, Mac, or TV have subtitles “burned in” to the video (“open captions”). However, we do not currently provide closed captions or subtitles for English language movies when streamed, although you can find them on most of our DVDs.
The technologies we use for streaming do not yet adequately support closed captions, and most viewers object to permanently visible open captions, which they cannot turn off, burned into the video stream for English-language content. We are working on delivering closed captions or optional subtitles in a future technology update, probably first for PCs and Macs, probably sometime in 2010, and later for various TV-connected devices as new firmware can be created and the devices updated.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

~~ eep ~~ eep ~~
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 23, 2009 12:31PM
I find closed caption very useful, especially when we lower the volume at night (to hear if the kids are sleeping) or when we miss a word/sentence (ESL here both of us).

We hearing impaired like it too, eh? smiling smiley

One of the reasons I've typically bypassed the iTunes, Netflix, and other downloadable movie sites; I rely on CC. And, unfortunately, not every disc released has CC or Subtitles (just Portugese? really?!). Not every sale/rental site lists whether a disc has them, either, so that's another hurdle.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Wailer
Date: December 23, 2009 01:47PM
Heh. I'm a native english speaker/reader and I still find CC very helpful. The one problem I have is that I find myself always reading the CC and it definitely throws off the comedic/dramatic timing.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 23, 2009 02:07PM
Zoidberg
[One of the reasons I've typically bypassed the iTunes, Netflix, and other downloadable movie sites; I rely on CC.

Then you're in luck: Apple TV and iTunes videos support closed captioning.

If you have the space, it's time to get Apple TV.
Date: December 23, 2009 04:29PM
Article Accelerator
Zoidberg
[One of the reasons I've typically bypassed the iTunes, Netflix, and other downloadable movie sites; I rely on CC.

Then you're in luck: Apple TV and iTunes videos support closed captioning.

except the topic is about NETFLIX
Date: December 23, 2009 04:31PM
Article Accelerator

another thing: Apple TV is pretty small. if you have the MONEY and the NEED for an Apple TV, it's time to get an Apple TV.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: December 23, 2009 08:28PM
I'm for closed caption as well. There are still tons of media on the internet that isn't closed captioned which excludes Deaf, Hard of Hearing and non native English users. I'm sure the FCC could shut down the internet for not being accessible... tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020