advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help! Oven door hinge broken.
Posted by: davec
Date: December 23, 2009 11:46AM
Last night the right hinge on our Frigidaire (model GG34BNL-2) oven door broke. There was a loud pop and now the oven door will not fully close.

About a year ago that hinge had been reluctant to allow the door to close. I partially removed the side of the range (a huge task!) and was able to access the hinge and made an adequate repair- gluing a plastic glide back onto a part of the hinge. I had the foresight to purchase a new hinge at that time.

I am quite certain that hinge has now fully failed. When I had previously removed the side of the range I spent some time looking, but never did figure out how to remove the hinge. A google search did lead me to repairclinic.com which suggested lifting and removing the door. I followed their suggestions, but the door does not lift off of the hinges.

Do I need to fully disassemble the oven door in order to remove/replace the hinge? Any other pointers and/or web sites on how to remove and replace the hinge would be sincerely appreciated.

I will have time this evening, while the NW Iowa blizzard rages, to work on this repair.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help! Oven door hinge broken.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: December 23, 2009 12:45PM
Take a look at these diagrams, follow the link on your model number.

[www.partselect.com]

Not the best diagram for your door hinge, but has a price --- not cheap.

[www.partselect.com]

Hope this helps!

I've replaced one on our stove and wasn't that complicated, but then it's not the same make or model of yours.
Date: December 23, 2009 12:57PM
riley5108- thanks for your post! I do, fortunately, have the part already in hand. I will study the diagrams to which you linked. I am hoping to find the quickest, good way to do the job and to avoid spending hours of needlessly disassembling parts (e.g., the door). At this point I am not able to figure out how the hinge connects to the oven door. I wanted to get more information, before I just start removing a bunch of screws and bolts.

Thanks again for your help!

Dave

Posted by: artie67
Date: December 23, 2009 01:13PM
The door should slide off the hinges. Look for a part on the hinge where it pivots. My Whirlpool has a clips which straddle the pivot and when flipped down act like a door stop. The door lifts off from the "stopped" position (about 1/3 open). Hope this helps.
Posted by: Z
Date: December 23, 2009 01:19PM
If it isn't obvious how they are connected at this point, you're probably have to pull the stove out and disconnect the side panels to get at the hinge mounting points. You might get lucky and be able to wiggle a hand up and get at them from the broiler drawer from below without pulling the sides off, but you'll have to be good at 'seeing' with your hands...

I take it all back - with the broiler beneath, they'll have that section sealed off. Do you have a better picture of the hinge? If you take a look at that, might help attacking the problem.
Date: December 23, 2009 01:29PM
artie 67 and Z- thanks for your posts. I do already have the part, but I am not able to figure out how it connects to the door just by looking at the part. This morning I tried opening the door to the 1/3 open position and pulling up and out and it gives no indication that it will just lift off. I will have some more time to look at and work on it later this afternoon. I do appreciate all of the ideas and help!

Dave

Posted by: Z
Date: December 23, 2009 01:41PM
Are there some screws on the side that hold it on the hinges that you need to remove prior to lifting it off, or perhaps tabs to depress?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 23, 2009 03:15PM
Of ya don't get it figured out, try Appliance 411.
Date: December 23, 2009 05:02PM
Z and Fritz- thanks for your posts. The door hinge does go through a slot into the oven door. There are some large machine screws that appear to hold the door halves together, but perhaps they also secure the hinge to the door. I will check out Appliance 411. Thanks for the suggestion! I am hesitant to just start removing a bunch of screws. For me it always seems the screws (bolts and parts) come off easier than they go back on.

The heavy snow is really starting to accumulate. A good night to stay at home and repair an oven door....I guess. I will continue to monitor this thread and I do appreciate all of the help.

Dave

Edit: Z- I did check, there are no tabs to press.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 05:03PM by davec.
Re: Success!! Oven door hinge replaced.
Date: December 23, 2009 06:42PM
Success!! A big thank you to all the MRF members who offered advice, web site links and encouragement! The new oven door hinge is installed, everything lines up well and the oven door opens and closes just fine! woot smiley Two machine screws, which I thought held the two halves of the door together, actually served to connect the door to the hinge. (I discovered this fact after I removed the entire frame and the glass panel from the front of the door.) After I removed the the two machine screws the door did lift straight off the hinges. Two large machine screws held the hinge to the range frame and I was able to remove the hinge from the front of the range after I removed a small access plate. I'm pleased to say that this was half the job that I expected it to be!

Thanks again for all of your support! Best wishes to you and yours for the holiday season and the New Year too!

Dave

Posted by: artie67
Date: December 23, 2009 07:37PM
Good on Ya! That box is a lot lighter with the door removed. When we install, I always take the door off. Gives a better grip and you don't risk ripping off the handle. This is another reason to put those install manuals in a stack in the bookcase for further use. You can use a file or whatever, just put them in one place! Merry Xmas to all.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 23, 2009 10:42PM
and you saved big repair $. I love DIY!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020