advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
whats that big torpedo bldg in london?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 02, 2010 07:33PM
It figures prominently in just about every brit show I've seen based in London.

Re: whats that big torpedo bldg in london?
Posted by: H1N1
Date: January 02, 2010 07:50PM
The Gherkin
[en.wikipedia.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: AAA
Date: January 02, 2010 07:58PM
London's skyline is not very cogent or attractive.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 02, 2010 08:22PM
It's actually a replacement for Dr Who's police box.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 02, 2010 08:23PM
H1N1
The Gherkin
[en.wikipedia.org]

Ah, would that be "gherkin", as in "pickle"? That is what the shape reminds me of, but I don't know if Brits call their little sweet pickles gherkins.
Date: January 02, 2010 08:31PM
Thanks!

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 02, 2010 09:15PM
I always thought it looked like the top of a Mont Blanc fountain pen.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:24PM
rgG

Yeh, well you've just got more class than some of us. I was probably 40 before I knew what a Mont Blanc fountain pen was, but I've known about gherkins since I was a little kid. smiling smiley
Date: January 02, 2010 09:52PM
AlphaDog
rgG

Yeh, well you've just got more class than some of us. I was probably 40 before I knew what a Mont Blanc fountain pen was, but I've known about gherkins since I was a little kid. smiling smiley

Just wait till RacerX chimes in with what he thinks it looks like. devil smiley

Date: January 02, 2010 09:57PM
rgG
AlphaDog
rgG

I don't think he's creative enough to come up with anything better than what was mentioned in that Wiki article:

"Erotic gherkin, the Towering Innuendo, and the Crystal Phallus (also a pun on Crystal Palace)."
Posted by: decay
Date: January 02, 2010 10:11PM
that's the Bell Ender.

---
Posted by: Spock
Date: January 02, 2010 10:19PM
AlphaDog
rgG
AlphaDog
rgG

I don't think he's creative enough to come up with anything better than what was mentioned in that Wiki article:

"Erotic gherkin, the Towering Innuendo, and the Crystal Phallus (also a pun on Crystal Palace)."

FYI Innuendo is not an Italian suppository.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: January 02, 2010 10:21PM
AlphaDog
rgG
AlphaDog
rgG

Now you have really thrown down the gauntlet, haven't you.

Posted by: blooz
Date: January 02, 2010 11:13PM
"Its erection symbolised the start of a new high-rise construction boom in London."

Poor choice of words.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: AAA
Date: January 02, 2010 11:15PM
I just thought that was wordcrafted too judiciously.
Date: January 02, 2010 11:59PM
AlphaDog
H1N1
The Gherkin
[en.wikipedia.org]

Ah, would that be "gherkin", as in "pickle"? That is what the shape reminds me of, but I don't know if Brits call their little sweet pickles gherkins.
we do
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: January 03, 2010 07:15AM
why not call them 'dickens' (as in 'charles') and satisfy both the literary and lowbrow camps?

=TC
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: January 03, 2010 09:37AM
like the i.m.pei atrocity in front of the louvre, i think it amounts to more of an eyesore than a leap fwd. makes you want to ask, hey what giant alien dropped their @#$%&? i mean could you really design that building yourself and take it seriously? could you imagine being the person who approved a design like that? was there crack-cocaine all around? if a little kid drew a building like that at school a couple of times (before the "gherkin" existed) and said i have a new building design! they would have been expelled. they quickly nicknamed it gherkin to try to stave off the obvious- its not working.

also i hate stories where people lose their building because they can't afford a historical restoration and are forced to sell only to have the next developer find a way to sidestep any restoration at all and build an eyesore.
*grr*
Date: January 03, 2010 04:28PM
MacDoxy
like the i.m.pei atrocity in front of the louvre, i think it amounts to more of an eyesore than a leap fwd. makes you want to ask, hey what giant alien dropped their @#$%&? i mean could you really design that building yourself and take it seriously? could you imagine being the person who approved a design like that? was there crack-cocaine all around? if a little kid drew a building like that at school a couple of times (before the "gherkin" existed) and said i have a new building design! they would have been expelled. they quickly nicknamed it gherkin to try to stave off the obvious- its not working.

also i hate stories where people lose their building because they can't afford a historical restoration and are forced to sell only to have the next developer find a way to sidestep any restoration at all and build an eyesore.
*grr*

Soooo...what're you saying?

Date: January 03, 2010 07:37PM
bazookaman
MacDoxy

*grr*

We should all be living in caves or the original mud huts
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: January 03, 2010 09:18PM
i vote for yurts. and spurts. of yogurt. all around.

yurt mileage may vary.

=TC
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: January 08, 2010 07:59AM
H1N1
bazookaman
MacDoxy

*grr*

yeah caves and mud huts hysterical.
how about challenging themselves to build something new that doesnt make the whole city look like a patchwork quilt of mismatched socks? especially when they put historical restoration aside?
AND gherkin my butt, they built the largest most obviously phallic building ever in london -
so if you say I was implying we should live in caves, then you were implying that the gherkin is progress..
so what's next? a wide shaft with a realistic male mushroom on top called the "beach umbrella" with the entrance called the beach ball pair?
maybe they could model it after jimi hendrix..[www.cynthiapcaster.org]
Date: January 08, 2010 04:33PM
MacDoxy
H1N1
bazookaman
MacDoxy

*grr*

yeah caves and mud huts hysterical.
how about challenging themselves to build something new that doesnt make the whole city look like a patchwork quilt of mismatched socks? especially when they put historical restoration aside?
AND gherkin my butt, they built the largest most obviously phallic building ever in london -
so if you say I was implying we should live in caves, then you were implying that the gherkin is progress..
so what's next? a wide shaft with a realistic male mushroom on top called the "beach umbrella" with the entrance called the beach ball pair?
maybe they could model it after jimi hendrix..[www.cynthiapcaster.org]

homophobic & fear of change
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020