advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heads Up, Foodies! Amazon's having a Le Creuset Sale w/up to 40% OFF!
Posted by: trisho.
Date: January 10, 2010 07:00PM
Thought some folks would appreciate the announcement since a lot of us cook on this forum.

Link: [www.amazon.com]

This deal in particular looks really good: Le Creuset Stoneware 1-1/4-Quart Rectangular Baker with Bonus 16-Ounce Rectangular Baker, Caribbean - $35.99 after 41% off

Those measurements translate to - "10-1/2-by-7-inch 1-1/4-quart rectangular baker and 7-by-5-inch 16-ounce rectangular baker". They have it in a bunch of other colors such as cobalt blue, cherry red, kiwi, black, dijon yellow, etc. Heck, I think I just might pick up some wedding gifts for a bunch of people I know who are getting married this year from this sale...

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heads Up, Foodies! Amazon's having a Le Creuset Sale w/up to 40% OFF!
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 10, 2010 08:19PM
Maybe its me, but I am not so wild about the few pieces I have. For cookware, I like all clad, a couple of black iron skillets, and for bakeware, almost anything else, mostly pyrex.

Maybe I don't know how to use it, but in the skillets, everything sticks, and not when I want it to.

Eggs are better done in nonstick all clad.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2010 08:37PM
....TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods has them ever so often at about 50% off...or more in on clearance (got a few pieces that way)....many different pieces...I think the stoneware is made in China though.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 10, 2010 09:11PM
It depends on what I'm cooking. I just used one of my Le Creuset pieces for today's main course, and it was perfect for the job. There was something else I did in a cheap Teflon coated skilled, and it was the right tool for that job. I always do eggs in my enamel coated cast iron, so it's probably a matter of getting used to using it. I got my first set back in 1965, so I've had a lot of time to practice. smiling smiley
Posted by: trisho.
Date: January 10, 2010 09:30PM
deco, I think the main purpose for Le Creuset may not necessarily non-stick but rather heating consistency which varies a lot with non-stick/Teflon pots & pans.

As for eggs, we normally just scramble them & the greens in the left over bacon grease...so it never sticks! We use either our non-stick skillet or our Lodge cast iron skillet that we've been seasoning for the past year or so. It should finally have a crust on by next year...mmm, cast iron crust.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 10, 2010 11:40PM
Grrrr I just bought some more of these from Pampered Chef.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2010 04:43AM
Le Creuset is for amateurs.

Real cooks use Staub:

j/k!

Deco, All-Clad is great stuff. I've had All-Clad LTD for 20 years now. My dad would get me a piece every Christmas at their scratch & dent sales.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 11, 2010 09:28AM

Real cooks use Staub:

this is a good point.

if you go into professional kitchens you will not see anything like the "fancy" cookware that dominate the kitchens of the absolutely fabulous. it's just plain aluminum and s/s implements. even the baking pans and ovenware is just run of the mill stuff.

the cooking shows are using the fancy stuff for their own commercial purposes.

thanks to trisho for posting this even given the above rant.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 11, 2010 09:52AM
With the heavy cast iron stuff, you get a workout while you cook. We've got an old Le Creuset 12" skillet with a long wood handle and you almost need two hands to lift it...
Date: January 11, 2010 10:10AM
...as I said the Le Creuset Stoneware is made in China so....lead issue might be possible...read some thread discussions on it.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 10:10AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: August West
Date: January 11, 2010 10:39AM
My Le Creuset dutch oven is one of the most used pieces in my kitchen. I am absolutely pleased with the meals I've made and will eventually get a couple more pieces. Take it or leave it on the stoneware though.
Date: January 11, 2010 11:11AM
...I believe the Dutch ovens are still made in France (but don't quote me on it)....

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 11, 2010 12:54PM
NewtonMP2100
...as I said the Le Creuset Stoneware is made in China so....lead issue might be possible...read some thread discussions on it.....

That would explain why over the past years they've gone from being super expensive to having lower prices and big sales.

mrbigstuff

Real cooks use Staub:

this is a good point.

if you go into professional kitchens you will not see anything like the "fancy" cookware that dominate the kitchens of the absolutely fabulous. it's just plain aluminum and s/s implements. even the baking pans and ovenware is just run of the mill stuff.

the cooking shows are using the fancy stuff for their own commercial purposes.

thanks to trisho for posting this even given the above rant.

Depends on the kitchen. Many places, yeah, aluminum. But at quite a few nicer kitchens, they use stainless and cast iron.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 12, 2010 04:26AM
Staub is occasionally at Marshalls and Tuesday Morning. It looks nice. They had some tiny casseroles with lids.

I bought 3 pieces of all clad copper core with copper lids , 1 1/2 qt, 4 qt and 8 qt stock pot for around $100 and that also included a very small le crueset skillet. None of it was used much.

I love this copper core all clad the small pot as not left the top of the stove. I love small pots best. But the stock pot would work for a roast, etc. I would love to run across a few all clad skillets at a real bargain.

I can't justify paying much, because I have a small set of cuisinart stainless, and revere (from my mother 30 years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020