Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ban photoshop
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 14, 2010 02:17PM
I was waiting to get my hair cut and of course all they had were women's magazine's. Ok, the ones showing all the different hair styles are kind of fun to look through. Most of the women pictures looked almost like cartoons though. Their skin tones had been evened out and everything so perfected it didn't look real anymore. I'm seeing this more and more in different magazines. I think there should be a ban on photoshop except to fix minor lighting problems.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ban photoshop
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 14, 2010 02:21PM
I think if it's illegal to use fake food in food photos, it should be illegal to do this as well. Too many people try to obtain this level of "beauty" when it's not even possible.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 14, 2010 02:24PM
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 14, 2010 02:30PM
M A V I C
I think if it's illegal to use fake food in food photos...

huh smiley
Posted by: timg
Date: January 14, 2010 02:48PM
vicrock
[www.youtube.com]

This should be required viewing for all young girls.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 14, 2010 02:49PM
Makeup and Photoshop make Demi Moore look like a concentration camp survivor.thumbs down
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: January 14, 2010 02:50PM
I used to work for a company that did product shots for food companies and learned a ton of tricks to make food look better than it really did on film. Half the stuff isn't real food and none of it is edible.

Ice cream scoops = Crisco scoops with a sprayed with "gloss water"
Milk in cereal ads/boxes = Elmer's white glue

There was this one bottle we used to spray on burger patties to make them look "hot," like they just came off the grill. I still don't know what it was, but it smelled like rancid gopher nuts (or at least what I think that would smell like).
Date: January 14, 2010 03:09PM
DeusxMac
M A V I C

huh smiley

Others here have posted the actual law before, but my 20 seconds of googling couldn't find it. I did find [www.shutterbug.com]#

There is a law in the U.S.A. regarding truth in advertising. It requires that advertisements about food show the actual food item that a consumer would be able to buy and eat. However, the food surrounding the item being advertised can be artificial, and food used to illustrate cookbooks or magazine articles can be bogus as well.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 14, 2010 03:12PM
Well.... when you buy raw beef, and the ad shows a cooked, sliced roast, that isn't the same thing,
and I'm looking at one right now. The ad is to SELL raw beef. The photo is a "suggested serving."

This doesn't address the REAL or not, but it certainly does the "this is what you are getting" question,
because you are not getting a cooked product.

Posted by: guitarist
Date: January 14, 2010 03:14PM
But if you ban Photoshop, they'll just use a different software application to achieve the same thing.

It's one thing to ban a practice, another to ban an individual software company's product.

Is it realistic to call for a ban? I'm sure the post isn't literal.

It would be beneficial to promote pressuring publications to use a disclaimer, or some kind of label, if there's some reason they should be held to a certain standard.

I think someone has figured out a degree of fair use, though it involved photojournalism, which is obligated to meet a higher standard than fashion photography, which has been highly manipulated since the beginning of the medium, long before the current age of software tools. It can be said that as soon as an enterprising photographer first began to develop skills in the darkroom, early in the 20th century, and with retouching techniques after processing the negative, photo manipulation began. It's always been there. Only the tools are different.

There was a scandal not long ago in the photography community about and awards situation involving images that had been manipulated so much in software, they arguably no longer qualify as journalism, according to a criteria that the judges, or critics, had determined. In the article about this controversy, examples of before retouching and after retouching were included, and it was clear, the journalistic or representational honesty of the image was so distorted by the manipulations, in some cases it violated even common-sense ethical standards. The images were altered so much, they were dishonest.

But fashion? Fashion is understood as art and fantasy, not strictly representational. It's a hard case to make, reigning in fashion mags.

I read a review of a coffee table book displaying the visual history of Playboy centerfolds. The reviewer noted that there was a nostalgic golden era where the women looked both glamorous and natural, sexy and real. Artful setups that revealed genuine beauty and playfulness. Hefner carefully staged and fussed over each photo endlessly, imprinting his recurring theme of always including some small clue of an offscreen male presence, a pipe, slippers, a tie, somewhere in the frame. Then a visible transition in the mid-1980s, when the theme faded, and models began to have an uneasy hardness, detachment, and a bland consistency of skin tone, everything a creamy tanned mocha color, perfectly unblemished skin. It's been downhill ever since.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 14, 2010 03:16PM
You might like this site:
[photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com]

=wr=
Posted by: davester
Date: January 14, 2010 03:17PM
Even if they do use real food products in ads, have you ever seen a fast food "meal" that looks anything like the one they show in the advertisement. I would guess not.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: January 14, 2010 03:18PM
Who needs photoshop ?

might even be cheaper
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 14, 2010 03:32PM
Who cares? Unlike a shellacked Big Mac, the closest I'll ever get to actually consuming a cover model is the cover. It's not like I'm going to go out and buy a Demi Moore, then bring her home and realize she's a lot more wrinkled than she looked on the box.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: January 14, 2010 03:43PM
how about all fakery?
No nail polish, shaving, plucking, make-up, hair color, teeth whitening, teeth straightening, tanning, tummy tucking, face lifting, collagen shooting....
Posted by: weapon
Date: January 14, 2010 03:47PM
That photo is not demi moore. It is her face but it has been PS'd onto another models 20something body. The link below has some compelling info...

check it out:

[popculturemadness.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 03:49PM by weapon.
Posted by: timg
Date: January 14, 2010 03:50PM
billb
Who needs photoshop ?

might even be cheaper

I always thought he looked like one of the Chimps from Planet of the Apes (the old movies from the 60's/70's) in that picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 03:52PM by timg.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 14, 2010 03:57PM
timg

I always thought he looked like one of the Chimps from Planet of the Apes (the old movies from the 60's/70's) in that picture.

don't defile Cornelius like that, you rutting pig!

Posted by: blooz
Date: January 14, 2010 04:20PM
The part where they stretched her neck made me laugh out loud.

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: billb
Date: January 14, 2010 04:44PM
Is that the 'wring' tool ? :-)
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 14, 2010 04:59PM
Finally an appropriate use for this little guy:

ban smiley
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: January 14, 2010 05:04PM
If people aren't willing to realize that that look is unattainable then they are ignorant or don't want to know. It's not like it's a secret these days. I'd say the person has bigger problems to deal with than trying to look like models on mag covers.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: January 14, 2010 05:09PM
(vikm)
If people aren't willing to realize that that look is unattainable then they are ignorant or don't want to know. It's not like it's a secret these days. I'd say the person has bigger problems to deal with than trying to look like models on mag covers.

Yeah but if we didn't complain about the trivial thing, we'd be left to agonize over the actual problems.

Whatareya tryin' to do? Advocate some kind of priorities?
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 14, 2010 06:06PM
(vikm)

You obviously haven't heard of teenaged girls.

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Date: January 14, 2010 06:24PM
Seacrest
(vikm)

STOP STEALING MY THOUGHTS. Or borrowing them, or duplicating them or whatever you're doing.

Posted by: H1N1
Date: January 14, 2010 08:45PM
Seacrest
(vikm)

heck, if it wasn't for chicks with low self esteem, none of you schlubs would've gotten a piece
Posted by: DRR
Date: January 14, 2010 09:40PM
M A V I C
DeusxMac
M A V I C

huh smiley

Others here have posted the actual law before, but my 20 seconds of googling couldn't find it. I did find [www.shutterbug.com]#

There is a law in the U.S.A. regarding truth in advertising. It requires that advertisements about food show the actual food item that a consumer would be able to buy and eat. However, the food surrounding the item being advertised can be artificial, and food used to illustrate cookbooks or magazine articles can be bogus as well.

This is true. I've shot food in both stills and commercials my entire career. You have to use the actual product and you have to follow the company's actual recipe that they use when they make it. You cannot legally substitute Crisco for ice cream if you're selling the ice cream. Not in this country anyway, and not for advertising. If a photographer wants to do that for a portfolio piece that's his own business.

The farthest we ever stretched it was using a different type of tomato than the ones they actually used in a certain salad that I shot once for a TV spot. And even this decision was made with great discussion and analysis of risk. I suspect the tomato discussion cost about $10,000 in agency time.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 15, 2010 06:35AM
H1N1
heck, if it wasn't for chicks with low self esteem alcohol, none of you schlubs would've gotten a piece

Vodak!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 15, 2010 06:48AM
Is there not a small hint of envy...

> I think there should be a ban on photoshop except to fix minor lighting problems.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mike V
Date: January 16, 2010 06:20AM
I don't have the slightest problem with this.

I'm always interested in the stories of using non-food in commercials.

Apart from fake ice cubes and fake steam, I've never seen this, although I mainly work in TV commercials, not stills.

It's always light and rehearse and then swap the product out for another hero one for the take.

It might have a bit of plastic or wire or something in it to support it into a nice shape or a bit of stuff sprayed on it or something, but it's always real food.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 16, 2010 08:38AM
it's not a photoshop problem. magazine photos, especially of women, have always been manipulated. airbrush, anyone? the why it's done is the issue - not the tool.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login