advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which G4 towers worthy of buying? How much?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 20, 2006 03:32PM
Is there a rule-of-thumb for which ones to buy and at what price? It's for dial-up surfing, under 8 tracks of Pro Tools, iMovie family editing, DVD burning, no Photoshop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2006 03:37PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which G4 towers worthy of buying? How much?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 20, 2006 03:33PM
depends upon what you want it to use it for.

Posted by: jdc
Date: April 20, 2006 03:49PM
budget?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 20, 2006 03:53PM
Are you going to replace the CPU or not.

Generally, the place to start is the Digital Audio towers--faster bus speed, better PCI card control.

Honestly, unless you need the PCI card capability, you're better off with a Mac Mini, IMHO-faster, smaller, quieter. Just be sure to boot from a Firewire drive, because the internal drives tend to be slowish.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: April 20, 2006 03:58PM

i was looking around ebay for prices of a 1.25 dual proc
MDD tower.. roughly $1000-1200... blusubaru sold a
couple of machines recently..

If you are using protools free, then you need OS 9
bootability (doesnt work in classic) you need to be
sure about the computer you buy
if you have a digi001 amIII digi002 or mbox then you can
run OSX all the time.

how many fades and edits in iMovie? i made a movie
with my MDD dualie and it went smoothly, but if
you get a single proc mac then it may not go as
smoothly...

if i were you, id get as much computer as your
budget will allow.. so you wont be wishing that
you got something a little more powerful...

look for 167mhz bus..the fastest for MDDs
if you need os9 boot, then 1.25 MDD dualie, last
revision which had os9 boot and 167 bus.

if you can run osX all the time then 1.42 dualie
MDD which is commonly known as a 'FW800' MDD
This machine cannot boot into os9, so buyer be
fore warned...

both of these machines are fast in OS9 (the snappy)
and are nice in OSX too.

if you can wait a few months until the new
powermacs are released (hopefully for Xmas)
i can sell you mine, already set up for protools
etc.. pm if really interested.

EBC
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 20, 2006 04:11PM
Thanks for noticing edgar smiling smiley Yah, it's really what you need. The older g4's (pre Quicksilver) can be had anywhere for $100-6ish. Anything higher than that isn't worth it for what you need when you could buy a mini. Otherwise, the G4 iMac prices are dropping like flies. Seriously. 15" G4 700mhz, like 400-500 I've seen in the last week. That will handle ProTools ok.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: April 20, 2006 05:35PM
I just paid $1100 for a MDD dual 1.25 model, last production run before release of the G5, this is the one after the FW800 model that still boots to OS-9. Great values in these machines, mine came with dual DVD drives, several hard drives, 1.25GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 pro card(128MB) installed and the OEM Radeon 9000 card was also supplied which I will sell on eBay. Also came with two PCI cards, one LaCie FW800 3 port and a USB-2 four port. Best of all it is still under AppleCare until mid December. Been up and running for over a week and it is flawless and plenty fast. This will allow me to wait for at least the second generation of Intel G5 towers when they will have the bugs worked out and the software catches up with the hardware. Take your time and wait for a sweet deal, I had been shopping off and on for about a month, finally got this on locally off of Craig‘s list. I could easily afford a new G5 but don’t care for current limitations and think better will be coming down the pipeline.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 20, 2006 05:58PM
wow, $1100 for 9 booting MDD dual 1.25 with all that?

i was thinking of listing my MDD like that (OS 9, dual 1.25) with less everything (no dual drives, no FW 800 or USB 2 card, stock video, no applecare) for $1200...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 20, 2006 06:17PM
Huh...I didn't know there was a MDD dual 1.25 that was still OS 9 bootable and was released after the FW800 MDD dual 1.25's.

I thought that these were released before the FW800 models. Wow.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: April 20, 2006 06:18PM
Like I said if one is patient the deals are out there, I had been shopping for a month and this was the second best deal I had come across. First one was only $600 (Craigs list again) similar equipped but only one DVD drive but it was gone in less than two hours. They will bring better prices on eBay but lots of folks don’t care for all the hassle of eBay and prefer a quick sale on Craig’s list. Seller was sharp, used to work for Apple and he even delivered it from about 50 miles away. He just wanted a quick clean cash sale and priced it accordingly.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 20, 2006 06:22PM
Mine is a dual boot 1.25 duallie with 1.75 gigs of RAM, 2 120s, a 160 and a 200 gig drive, a -106 superdrive and a LiteOn 52x with the stock radeon 9000. (the version that was dropped, not the one brought back, which was the former EDU model I believe)

Honestly, if I could put a dual 2 gig G4 upgrade in it, i would keep it for a few more years. A G5 upgrade would be so sweet, but I am not holding my breath.

On the other hand, if I sold it for maybe 1200-1300, then a refurb duallie G4 would be about a grand out of pocket all decked out.

I think the sweet spot IS the DA machines, and I really wish I could get them to give me the DA 533 duallie at work. That thing is really fast compared to a QS 733 they have running the same apps. (I think my B&W G4/550 is probably faster than that QS 733)
Posted by: incognegro
Date: April 21, 2006 08:47AM
best price on an OS9 bootable fast G4 that comes WITH a warranty? (30-90 days)

it's looking like $1200 at most places.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018