Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles
Posted by: maco
Date: January 26, 2010 05:12PM
Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

"Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company," said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. "This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible."
2009-2010 RAV4,

2009-2010 Corolla,

2009-2010 Matrix,

2005-2010 Avalon,

Certain 2007-2010 Camry,

2010 Highlander,

2007-2010 Tundra,

2008-2010 Sequoia
[www.prnewswire.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 05:13PM by maco.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 26, 2010 05:20PM
Wow. That's huge.

What's left for them to sell?

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: Doc
Date: January 26, 2010 05:22PM
Man! WTF is going on with them?!

So far, there have only been a few reports trickling out (remember this one from about a week ago?), but I'm getting the impression that the sudden acceleration problem is much bigger than they are letting on.

Ooh! Look what I found:
[blogs.consumerreports.org]

Between them, Toyota and Lexus accounted for more than a third of all the unintended-acceleration incidents we found among 2008-model vehicles. Seen another way, Toyota racked up more unintended-acceleration complaints than Chrysler, GM, Honda, and Nissan combined.

As major automakers, Toyota Motor Corporation and Ford Motor Company sell more vehicles than most competitors. To put the figures into proper perspective, we compared the number of complaints against overall market share.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 26, 2010 05:24PM
I'd rather buy a Buick anyway! devil smiley

Disclosure: retired GM worker who thinks Toyota isn't all that it's hyped up to be.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 26, 2010 05:24PM
Wow that doesn't leave much to sell. Let's see 4 Runner, Prius, Yaris, Tacoma and the Scion line.
I'm thinking that all the ones listed are assembled here and the Yaris, the Scions and the Prius
are assembled in Japan, not sure about the Tacoma and 4 Runner.

Grateful11
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 26, 2010 05:34PM
What's with people dying in these cars? Especially the one where the cop was killed and those where people are making cell calls to 911. If my car started to accelerate for no reason I would turn off the key and kick it into neutral. Then step on the brake if needed.

????

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 26, 2010 05:52PM
Speedy
What's with people dying in these cars? Especially the one where the cop was killed and those where people are making cell calls to 911. If my car started to accelerate for no reason I would turn off the key and kick it into neutral. Then step on the brake if needed.

????

We went through that several times when it happened. The model that crashed doesn't have an ignition key as we're all used to, but a push button switch which has to be held down for a specified time. Apparently the driver was not instructed in the vehicle operation. The question that hasn't been answered is whether that switch design is going to be the subject of a lawsuit as well as the accelerator pedal failure.

Posted by: ajakeski
Date: January 26, 2010 05:53PM
Toyota has always strived to be like GM. It appears they may have succeeded.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 26, 2010 05:54PM
Speedy

????

I'd put it in neutral and push on the brake until stopped. I haven't done it with a toyota, but most cars need the engine running to keep the power brakes working.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 26, 2010 06:29PM
olnacl
Speedy

????

We went through that several times when it happened. The model that crashed doesn't have an ignition key as we're all used to, but a push button switch which has to be held down for a specified time. Apparently the driver was not instructed in the vehicle operation. The question that hasn't been answered is whether that switch design is going to be the subject of a lawsuit as well as the accelerator pedal failure.

And to head off the next snarky comment:
IT WASN'T HIS CAR - IT WAS A LOANER FROM THE DEALER AND THIS WAS HIS FIRST (AND SADLY, LAST) TIME EVER DRIVING IT
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 26, 2010 06:47PM
SDGuy
IT WASN'T HIS CAR - IT WAS A LOANER FROM THE DEALER AND THIS WAS HIS FIRST (AND SADLY, LAST) TIME EVER DRIVING IT

I'd be mystified too if I was in a push button car that I needed to turn off suddenly. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if the transmission prevented you from shifting into neutral while the engine was at high rpm's (though I don't know this for sure).

I think Toyota should solve this problem by retrofitting all their cars with manual transmissions. : ) It might have the added benefit of getting more people to use hands free devices with their cell phones, or stop using them altogether in the car. Heck, we may as well just ban the automatic transmission while we're at it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 26, 2010 06:50PM
why don't people know to turn off the key, then right back on again? My '99 Sable has done this twice in maybe 3 years. Last time was about 2 months ago. Backing off one notch on the key in the lock cylinder doesn't lock up the steering column, but breaks the ignition-on circuit, killing the engine. And at 30-60 MPH, even without power assist you can pull over. Its not until you get down about 5 MPH that it becomes a PITA.

FYI, that thing you put the key into and turn ISN'T THE IGNITION SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!! Its a lock cylinder. IT actuates a switch as it rotates, or moves a linkage that slides a switch as it rotates.

I don't see why Toyota doesn't just remove the floormats before they sell the vehicles. Because thats all it is, right? They wouldn't have lied to us in the past, right?
Date: January 26, 2010 06:53PM
Speedy

Jam on the brakes and shift into neutral in that order.

Don't turn off the ignition until you've stopped or nothing else works.

If you turn off the ignition in most Toyotas, it will lock the steering.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: January 26, 2010 07:13PM
maybe Microsoft programmed the drive by wire pedal systems.

More than likely, it is a glitch in the programming, a bad computer, or maybe the computer system isn't insulated properly from heat, cold, or moisture.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 07:14PM by Grumpyguy.
Date: January 26, 2010 07:37PM
but its not the computers. They said it was the floor mats. They even fixed them with zipties. Why would they do that if that wasn't the problem? Would they lie?
Date: January 26, 2010 07:48PM
Grumpyguy

More than likely, it is a glitch in the programming, a bad computer, or maybe the computer system isn't insulated properly from heat, cold, or moisture.

Like BMW's iDrive. When it crashes - eg your radio stops playing music - you have to pull over, shut the car off, wait a bit, then turn it back on.

Racer X
but its not the computers. They said it was the floor mats. They even fixed them with zipties. Why would they do that if that wasn't the problem? Would they lie?

As an article in the last few days mentioned, it's pretty much been proven it's not the floor mats. I think Toyota said they think it might be condensation in the electronics but aren't sure yet.

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 26, 2010 07:51PM
Doc

No it won't.

They're just like every other car today. You have to put it into park and turn the key to the lock position to lock the steering. And you have to either step on the brakes or push a button while you turn the key to the lock position. It would not surprise me if the interlock won't work on many modern cars if it's moving. (Note: the ones with a push button ignition work differently, but still require the car to be in park before the steering will lock.) (Also, this applies to automatic transmission. I don't have experience with Toyota manuals.)

Having once turned off my car at highway speed and found that I'd inadvertently locked up the steering column, I pay attention to these things.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 26, 2010 07:53PM
SDGuy
olnacl
Speedy

????

And to head off the next snarky comment:

From what I read it was a loaner of the same model vehicle he owned!

Grateful11
Date: January 26, 2010 07:56PM
>"They wouldn't have lied to us in the past, right?"

I've never heard of a car company lying about anything, right?
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 26, 2010 07:57PM
M A V I C
Grumpyguy

Like BMW's iDrive. When it crashes - eg your radio stops playing music - you have to pull over, shut the car off, wait a bit, then turn it back on.

Racer X

As an article in the last few days mentioned, it's pretty much been proven it's not the floor mats. I think Toyota said they think it might be condensation in the electronics but aren't sure yet.

LMAO jest smiley
Date: January 26, 2010 08:06PM
Winston
Doc

No it won't.

Sorry. Bad phrasing.

The steering doesn't actually "lock."

Turning the ignition off disables the power-steering, making it very hard to turn the wheel.

Edit: Oh! I was wrong. Sometimes the steering does lock.

[kansascity.injuryboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 08:08PM by Doc.
Date: January 26, 2010 08:27PM
Doc
Winston
Doc

No it won't.

Sorry. Bad phrasing.

The steering doesn't actually "lock."

Turning the ignition off disables the power-steering, making it very hard to turn the wheel.

Edit: Oh! I was wrong. Sometimes the steering does lock.

[kansascity.injuryboard.com]

Try turning off the ignition next time you are driving. As Racer X said, until you are going very slowly you will have no trouble steering. You will also find that the power brake boost does not drop away all at once, but fades slowly. Even so, you will still have full braking ability if you press hard enough on the pedal (although you will lose anti-lock braking). The basic brake circuit is independent of the power boost.

Driver's ed classes should probably require this maneuver so that people know what to expect if the engine dies.

And unless you have a very old car, I stand by my comments on the steering lockup. (And if you have an old enough car, there won't be a steering column lock.) You will not be able to lock the steering unless you put the car in park, and you won't be able to turn the key to the steering lock position without either stepping on the brake or pushing a button. I don't know what year this was required, but it's mandatory in all cars, and has been for years.

I was not impressed by the article you cited.

Unlike many other vehicle manufacturers, Toyota and Lexus did not incorporate a critical safety feature into their vehicles that shifts the vehicle into neutral when the driver pushes down on the brake pedal.

This is complete nonsense. Toyota's automatic transmissions work just like every other manufacturers' transmissions. I have never heard of this shift into neutral on braking on any car (unless you do it manually, which is a bad idea, since the engine helps slow the car when you take your foot off of the gas).

This means that the relatively small Toyota and Lexus brakes do not have enough power to stop the vehicle when the engine is racing out of control.

Also complete nonsense. Toyota's do not have "relatively ... small brakes". If they did, they'd have much worse stopping performance on all the auto magazine tests compared to comparable models. The brakes may not have enough strength to overcome a racing engine, but if so, the same thing is true for every other manufacturer.

I do agree that for most people they will find it easier to control the car to a stop by putting it in neutral with the engine running as the brakes and steering will operate the way they are used to them working. But if your first reaction is to kill the engine if its racing out of control, rather than to try to put the car into neutral, then you should still be able to bring a car to a controlled stop without a lot of trouble.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 26, 2010 08:36PM
it wouldn't surprise me if the transmission prevented you from shifting into neutral while the engine was at high rpm's

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, but nobody has had a definitive answer and source.

From what I read it was a loaner of the same model vehicle he owned!

Do you have a link for that? The last time that came up, I Googled and couldn't find anything one way or the other.

It could be difficult for someone not very strong, but at speed it's not that difficult, As the car slows down, it would take some muscle, but still doable for a lot of drivers. I think losing boost on the brakes would be a bigger concern.

why don't people know to turn off the key, then right back on again?

Could you elaborate on that?

Are you assuming that would clear the runaway acceleration? Because if it didn't and the car was in gear, the engine would start right up again. So what would be accomplished? Putting the car in Neutral then cycling the ignition would accomplish what? Turn the engine off and it wouldn't restart? Probably.

Millions of people go through life without ever being faced with a dire emergency. I'm not surprised that most of them would not react well in a dangerous situation. I think it's disingenuous to berate such victims.

Yeah, every state should require two years of intensive training and successful completion of an EVOC, along with a one-time $25,000 fee and $5,000 a year renewal, to get a driver's license. Oh, don't forget a psych eval, and a yearly driving test throughout one's driving career.

There are a lot of things to consider in an emergency. Everybody here wants to think themselves as a Sully Sullenberger. Should any of you ever find yourself in a dangerous situation with only minutes or seconds to react, I hope you're right.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 26, 2010 08:52PM
Winston
Try turning off the ignition next time you are driving. As Racer X said, until you are going very slowly you will have no trouble steering.

Agreed. One of my first cars had no power steering. At slow speeds you just gotta grip and turn harder.

You will also find that the power brake boost does not drop away all at once, but fades slowly. Even so, you will still have full braking ability if you press hard enough on the pedal (although you will lose anti-lock braking).

I disagree with that. I've been in a couple cars that had loss of power brakes. IME, it took about two pumps and then there was nothing. In other words, I pressed on it once, it worked. Second time it didn't work quite as well. Third time it was incredibly difficult to stop.

In both instances when it was all the way out, I had to grip the steering wheel with both hands, put both feet on the brake pedal and push as hard as I could... even to the point of lifting my body out of the seat and the only things I had contact with where the pedal and steering wheel (and seatbelt.)

And still I only stopped about 1/8th as fast as usual. I forget exactly, but around that time I used to be able to full range leg press about 700lbs. So I think if I had that hard of a time, most people are not going to muster 8x the strength to have full braking power.

Driver's ed classes should probably require this maneuver so that people know what to expect if the engine dies.

My parents had me take an advanced drivers ed course and we did just that. Actually, thinking about it I guess it's three cars I've driven without power brakes.

Date: January 26, 2010 08:54PM
I've had the engine die on a car at highway speed, more than once. It is not difficult to bring it to a stop. It is not difficult to steer, and it is only a little more difficult to brake. Remember, a dead engine in gear is a big drag on the car.

Now, if I had the engine racing out of control, with no warning, that would be a different thing, particularly if it happened in heavy traffic at highway speed. I'd like to think I'd handle it well, but I hope I never have to.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 26, 2010 09:02PM
M A V I C
Winston
You will also find that the power brake boost does not drop away all at once, but fades slowly. Even so, you will still have full braking ability if you press hard enough on the pedal (although you will lose anti-lock braking).

I disagree with that. I've been in a couple cars that had loss of power brakes. IME, it took about two pumps and then there was nothing. In other words, I pressed on it once, it worked. Second time it didn't work quite as well. Third time it was incredibly difficult to stop.

In both instances when it was all the way out, I had to grip the steering wheel with both hands, put both feet on the brake pedal and push as hard as I could... even to the point of lifting my body out of the seat and the only things I had contact with where the pedal and steering wheel (and seatbelt.)

And still I only stopped about 1/8th as fast as usual. I forget exactly, but around that time I used to be able to full range leg press about 700lbs. So I think if I had that hard of a time, most people are not going to muster 8x the strength to have full braking power.

I think you are right that I am over-estimating how easy it is to brake a car quickly where the power brake boost has gone out. Used to be that all cars which had power brakes (at least those with auto transmission) had a double width brake pedal so that you could use both feet if you lost the boost. I think that is much less common now.

As I have a daughter who just got her learner's permit I may do some experimenting on controlling our cars with the engine off.

I've already taught two kids to drive, and have often mentally rehearsed reaching over to turn off the ignition if things got out of control.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 09:13PM by Winston.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 26, 2010 09:29PM
Yes, you can put the car into neutral at highway speeds. No, it does not destroy the engine or the transmission. It happens every time you shift gears in an automatic or a manual transmission, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 09:31PM by Acer.
Date: January 26, 2010 09:34PM
I can assure you that on a '69, 71 or 72 Buick, and a '99 Sable, turning the key off and then back on DOES NOT lock the column. You need to turn the wheel about 1/4 turn after the key is in the full off position, or removed. There are stops with notches that engage as the steering wheel turns. This is pretty standard. If you have a big enough wrench and cheater bar on the steering wheel hold down nut, you can break the locking mechanism.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: January 26, 2010 09:43PM
Audi blamed stupid drivers with big feet. We'll see about Toyota.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: January 26, 2010 10:01PM
Rick-o
I'd rather buy a Buick anyway! devil smiley

Disclosure: retired GM worker who thinks Toyota isn't all that it's hyped up to be.

listened to AutoBird podcast. The host thinks Buick is best car line in the world. Young guy, too.
Date: January 26, 2010 10:18PM
Unless I read the reports incorrectly, the car was a current model Lexus which does not have a steering wheel ignition "switch" but uses a "key" with an RF chip that the computer senses. The "key" does not get inserted into anything, but merely needs to be in the proximity of the receiver. Once linked, you press a button on the console to start / stop the engine. (I recently rode in a 2010 Lexus with this system). I believe BMW uses a similar system.

All this discussion about steering wheels locking, etc is moot in this tragic case. There was enough time for the passengers to make a cell phone call about the problem so it appears no one knew how to turn off the engine and just putting it in neutral and letting the engine self destruct didn't occur to anyone either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit - a quick google turned up this report

Another complication: A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that some Lexus drivers with stuck accelerators tried to turn off the car with the engine control button but didn't know the button must be held for three seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 10:32PM by olnacl.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 26, 2010 10:39PM
On Nightline (ABC) right now.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 26, 2010 10:43PM
olnacl
Unless I read the reports incorrectly, the car was a current model Lexus which does not have a steering wheel ignition "switch" but uses a "key" with an RF chip that the computer senses. The "key" does not get inserted into anything, but merely needs to be in the proximity of the receiver. Once linked, you press a button on the console to start / stop the engine. (I recently rode in a 2010 Lexus with this system). I believe BMW uses a similar system.

All this discussion about steering wheels locking, etc is moot in this tragic case. There was enough time for the passengers to make a cell phone call about the problem so it appears no one knew how to turn off the engine and just putting it in neutral and letting the engine self destruct didn't occur to anyone either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit - a quick google turned up this report

Another complication: A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that some Lexus drivers with stuck accelerators tried to turn off the car with the engine control button but didn't know the button must be held for three seconds.

I bet its in the manual, the single least read type of literature ON THE PLANET!
Date: January 26, 2010 10:54PM
OK, everybody who reads the owner manual on a borrowed or rented car, raise your hand.

Date: January 26, 2010 11:25PM
olnacl
OK, everybody who reads the owner manual on a borrowed or rented car, raise your hand.

As I said before the cop was in loaned vehicle of the same make and model that he owned.
Date: January 26, 2010 11:34PM
Grateful11
olnacl

As I said before the cop was in loaned vehicle of the same make and model that he owned.

Can you post a link with that information? I only read it was a loaner from a Lexus dealer without any data on what car was being serviced. The reason I question is because a friend was recently given a current model Lexus to drive while her 2003 Lexus was in for service at the Lexus dealer. Unless we know what year his car was, we can't assume he was familiar with the car.

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 27, 2010 12:20AM
Grateful11

Well, Grateful said it twice, so it must be double true!

Mark Saylor had an '06 IS 250. The loaner was an '09 ES 350.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 27, 2010 03:07AM
Wow, two disasters in one week. Whitacre is appointed GM CEO and now this...

All the idle speculation bandied about accomplishes nothing.

Power assist systems and steering lock mechanisms are implemented with different designs and will behave differently, so projections from one's own vehicles don't necessarily apply to others.

Nor can one assume what did or didn't happen in the various incidents related to the stuck throttles.

The one certainty is that it is incumbent upon a vehicle's driver to have a grasp of how their vehicle operates in both normal and abnormal situations, and preferably with at least a rudimentary understanding of how they function and what can happen when failures occur. I think we can all agree that this is more the exception than the norm.

And despite the notoriety and fear mongering attention that these issues are now attracting from the media, there are millions of vehicles on the road around that world with similar technology that are safe and exhibit no problems.

Examine these incidents, or those that trigger any recall, and you'll find the risk is quite low compared to those posed everyday, often by other drivers' behaviour and not their vehicles.

Toyota's supplier has already redesigned the faulty pedal assembly in question related to the latest recall, and is preparing to put it into production. They have steps to mitigate further risk by suspending sales and production, but it will take time for the fix to propagate.
Posted by: kap
Date: January 27, 2010 05:30AM
Acer
Yes, you can put the car into neutral at highway speeds.

Isn't that called "coasting". Does anyone still do it to save gas?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2010 07:56AM
Won't surprise me if a year from now they've identified three or four potential causes for runaway engines, besides all those little old ladies in Florida with dementia.
Date: January 27, 2010 08:18AM
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 27, 2010 08:56AM
Grateful11
Wow that doesn't leave much to sell. Let's see 4 Runner, Prius, Yaris, Tacoma and the Scion line.

Don't forget the Venza, which I happen to think is pretty nice.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 27, 2010 09:27AM
Why only North American produced Toyotas? Sabotage by their competition?
Date: January 27, 2010 09:32AM
olnacl
Grateful11
olnacl

Can you post a link with that information? I only read it was a loaner from a Lexus dealer without any data on what car was being serviced. The reason I question is because a friend was recently given a current model Lexus to drive while her 2003 Lexus was in for service at the Lexus dealer. Unless we know what year his car was, we can't assume he was familiar with the car.

No I can't provide a link and yes I tried to find the info before posting but I do remember
reading that it was the same car. Mike has provided the information on the model he was
loaned and the one he owned. I was wrong. I have no idea exactly how much difference
there is between those 2 models maybe someone on here does.

Grateful11
Date: January 27, 2010 11:45AM
Now reporting feds forced Toyota to stop selling cars.

Pretty neat when the competition (Feds own car companies) can stop you from selling cars.

[www.detnews.com]
Date: January 27, 2010 02:24PM
Grateful11
olnacl
Grateful11
olnacl

No I can't provide a link and yes I tried to find the info before posting but I do remember
reading that it was the same car. Mike has provided the information on the model he was
loaned and the one he owned. I was wrong. I have no idea exactly how much difference
there is between those 2 models maybe someone on here does.

My parents have two post-Katrina Lexus ESs, bought a model year apart. The older of the two uses a regular key, the newer one has the push-button start/stop. I think they are 2006 and 2007 models. So a 2006 IS probably used a key, and a 2009 ES had the push-button.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 27, 2010 07:44PM
Dakota

Actually that was the result of the Fed investigation. Though they didn't say "stupid drivers with big feet" they did say the cause was drivers "misapplying" pressure to the gas pedal.

Date: January 27, 2010 09:03PM
M A V I C
Dakota

Actually that was the result of the Fed investigation. Though they didn't say "stupid drivers with big feet" they did say the cause was drivers "misapplying" pressure to the gas pedal.

And they were right. Audi was maligned unfairly.

My grandmother ran her Chevrolet across the street into the neighbor's bushes in reverse doing exactly this. Luckily, nothing more than the car and the bushes were hurt. I am sure she thought she was pressing harder on the brake as the car sped up. The car was repaired and sold to someone who used it for many years.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020