Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.07 ( -2.66 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How will you print from an iPad?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 27, 2010 05:57PM
How will you print from an iPad, or an iPod touch, for that matter. I don't have a touch or an iPhone, so I have never tried to print an email, or PDF, or a picture from this type of device.

I assume you should be able to print wirelessly by connection to a printer connected to a wireless router or a wireless printer, but maybe you have to do something else.

Anyone want to clue me in?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How will you print from an iPad?
Posted by: billb
Date: January 27, 2010 06:04PM

edit:
OK, found what I was originally looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 06:07PM by billb.
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 27, 2010 06:27PM
It's not easy, but the silly workarounds that work on the iPhone should work on the iPad.
[www.ehow.com]

The device is tied to iTunes just like an iPhone. You will probably end up moving docs to your Desktop Mac via email or iTunes to print.

Yet another attempt by Apple to sell you two computers to do the job of one.

And it'll probably work.
Date: January 27, 2010 06:45PM
You should be able to print more easily than having to use another computer . What if you are using this for a business trip and need to print a document or even a PDF and don't have another computer to transfer it to. I can also see needing to print my boarding pass with this, from the airline website. That should be possible, but seems like it might not be.

Posted by: Doc
Date: January 27, 2010 07:07PM
rgG
You should be able to print more easily than having to use another computer . What if you are using this for a business trip and need to print a document or even a PDF and don't have another computer to transfer it to. I can also see needing to print my boarding pass with this, from the airline website. That should be possible, but seems like it might not be.

The kludge is to email it with an eFax account and have it sent it to the fax machine at the front desk of your hotel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 07:07PM by Doc.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 27, 2010 07:15PM
I suppose you could use an Airport Express to print, but why not just have a USB port on the thing, or at least on the dock? They seem to have deliberately excluded a bunch of quite inexpensive bits from this thing...camera, USB port, headphone jack. With those things this would be a killer product. Without them it's very limited. Was it really to save a few bucks off the price or was it to neuter something that might take business from their other more expensive products?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 07:17PM by davester.
Posted by: Done
Date: January 27, 2010 07:31PM
You will be able to print over Wifi with a app like the phone but hopefully it's not as limited.

They don't want this to replace a desktop or laptop, it's more of a coffee table surfer, games and book reader (and the long toilet sitter). Apple know some will try to replace their computer but without the usb, firewire and camera it will keep many from using it as their main computer.
Date: January 27, 2010 07:39PM
I don't want to replace my MacBook, except when I go on vacation and don't need much except email and web, but sometimes I might need to print a PDF from a website or the aforementioned boarding pass. I hope someone develops a better app for printing than what I have seen so far for the touch/iPhone.

Posted by: Go To Top
Date: January 27, 2010 08:20PM
On my touch I have an App called Print Magic. Works great.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: January 27, 2010 08:21PM
Go To Top
On my touch I have an App called Print Magic. Works great.

Thanks. I will check that one out.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 27, 2010 09:03PM
I did a Google search to find Print Magic and stumbled on this review:

[www.macworld.com]

I’ve previously reviewed Print n Share. That’s an app that also enables you to print from your iPhone, and like Print Magic, it costs $7. It’s an app that’s a bit more complex than Print Magic but can do much more, and do it consistently. It’s a major league app. Print Magic has a lot of promise, but it commits too many unpredictable errors at this point to rise out of the minor league ranks of apps. You’ll want to wait for subsequent updates to see if Print Magic lives up to its potential.

It's just one reviewer's opinion, though.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 27, 2010 09:06PM
I installed print magic and it appears to only print in black and white. Is that correct?

And how do you print from your addressbook? I don't see anyway to copy the entire thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 09:07PM by lazydays.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 27, 2010 09:31PM
I downloaded print n share and it is a MUCH better app than print magic. Seems to work great and does more than just print things. It can snag files off my home computer as well.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 27, 2010 10:52PM
Question ASKED AND ANSWERED!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 28, 2010 03:28AM
You will print when Steve Jobs WANTS you to print!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 28, 2010 07:45AM
davester
I suppose you could use an Airport Express to print, but why not just have a USB port on the thing, or at least on the dock? They seem to have deliberately excluded a bunch of quite inexpensive bits from this thing...camera, USB port, headphone jack. With those things this would be a killer product. Without them it's very limited. Was it really to save a few bucks off the price or was it to neuter something that might take business from their other more expensive products?

The specs page says it's got a headphone jack. [www.apple.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: January 28, 2010 11:38AM
How about that. I must be going senile because I looked at that list before and I swear it wasn't there.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: fredo_lo
Date: April 13, 2010 11:34AM
How will you print?
well i came accross "Cortado workplace" and i loaded it into my ipad. I was able to print directly from my iPad to my printer.
It works great for me. i dont have to load the cocument to another computer and print. i can just connect to any wi-fi printer and print.
Beast of all. This product is free.
Posted by: nisi1t
Date: May 05, 2010 03:28PM
Let me show you how to print from iPad and no apps are involved. Billb who posted second had a good ideea but not like this.
Check this: [wiki.nisi.ro]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015