AAPL stock: $98.09 ( -0.29 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The iPad uses a shared folder on your Mac or PC to transfer documents
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 28, 2010 11:10AM
[arstechnica.com]

page 3 of the Ars article
One of the benefits of iWork on the Mac is that content from one app can be easily included in documents for the others. For instance, you could include a chart based on data from a Numbers spreadsheet in a Keynote presentation. When that data is updated in the spreadsheet, the chart can be automatically updated in Keynote. If documents were sequestered away from each other on the iPad, you wouldn't be able to do this. Furthermore, how would you get your iWork files onto the iPad for editing, and how would you get files created on the iPad back to your Mac?

Thankfully, Apple has addressed this in the iPad-only iPhone OS 3.2. The documentation for the SDK indicates that it uses a "shared folder" that any iPad application can read and write. This shared folder will also mount as a disk whenever an iPad is plugged in to a Mac or PC, allowing easy file transfer.

This shared folder solves the problem of transferring files, and allowing one app to read data from other app's files. Nonetheless, Apple could take this capability and extend it further. Apple could leverage iDisk to keep this shared folder in sync between a Mac and an iPad over-the-air, instead of relying solely on a wired, USB connection.

Kinda glad. Maybe iTunes won't grow any more sync tabs now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The iPad uses a shared folder on your Mac or PC to transfer documents
Posted by: clay
Date: January 28, 2010 11:12AM
I wonder how dropbox will figure into this as well--I'd rather use my dropbox as that shared folder.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 28, 2010 11:18AM
I suppose you still could, since there's that Dropbox app for the iPhone already. That is, if the iWork apps give you the option of where to save ...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 28, 2010 11:21AM
It might also utilize iWork.com file storage for iWork apps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login