advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhoto and I? Splitsville. . .
Posted by: Travlen' JazzZen
Date: January 30, 2010 04:46PM
Unless someone can help me with this. My camera has been set to reset the number on the pics every time I delete them. So, when I move them to iphoto and delete the originals, the camera starts numbering again at image001. Hence, I have lots of image001s. I have done a batch change to my entire library, renaming the photos by date and time. Looks good right? Nope - when I move them to a folder on the desktop, to an email or to my digital frame, it renames them image001, etc, leaving me with the problem I was trying eliminate with the batch change.
I'm assuming (yes, I know what that makes me) that the batch change is not the solution, but I have no idea what the solution is.
Yes, I have reset the camera to continuous numbering, so it won't be a problem in the future. In the mean time, I have hundreds of image001's, 002's, 003's . . . banghead smiley
I love most of iPhoto - and I am admittedly (and maybe foolishly) brand loyal, but this may have me looking for another photo program.
Any of you bright minds have a solution?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhoto and I? Splitsville. . .
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 30, 2010 04:54PM
Travlen' JazzZen
Looks good right? Nope - when I move them to a folder on the desktop, to an email or to my digital frame, it renames them image001, etc,

That's because the Finder works with the filename itself. There are utilities (including built-in AppleScript or Automator-based ones) to change that but they will work at the Finder level. In other words, you'll have to make the name change after copying them to a folder, etc.
Date: January 30, 2010 05:04PM
Article Accelerator
Travlen' JazzZen
Looks good right? Nope - when I move them to a folder on the desktop, to an email or to my digital frame, it renames them image001, etc,

That's because the Finder works with the filename itself. There are utilities (including built-in AppleScript or Automator-based ones) to change that but they will work at the Finder level. In other words, you'll have to make the name change after copying them to a folder, etc.
Which will do me no good at all because when I attempt to move the same-named photos to a folder, iphoto will let me stop the move of the second image001, or go and replace the original image001 - so I've been putting a .1, .2 etc after the name, but frankly, it's a pita. I was hoping there was a better solution. Brand loyalty only goes so far. .
Thanks for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 05:04PM by Travlen' JazzZen.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 30, 2010 05:41PM
When you do the export I think you should be using use "title" instead of "filename". Unless I'm mistaken, your batch changes are changing the title, not the filename. Also, isn't there a way to change your camera settings so that it doesn't keep repeating the same set of filenames? I'm also wondering how you figure changing to another photo app is going to fix this problem. Don't they all have similar issues?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 30, 2010 05:48PM
Are you sure this is primarily an iPhoto issue or a camera issue? I noticed that was happening on the camera you were using in August, and after seeing this post, I did a radical thing - I got out the instruction book for my camera! I have an option; the numbers will either reset to zero each time a new card is inserted (or images deleted off the card), or I can choose to have the camera's internal memory continue to number the images. In my case, I'm on image number 1600 and something. Humor me and get out the user guide for your camera and look in the index under "Resetting the File Numbers." Please?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 30, 2010 06:36PM
Davester got it right -- its a 2 step process -- and you cant drag and drop =(

change the "title" with the batch renamer

then Export and choose "Title" as your setting -- they will export like you want

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 30, 2010 07:16PM
jdc

then Export and choose "Title" as your setting -- they will export like you want

To quote whoever said it first, "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

One of iPhoto's redeeming features is that the program tries really hard to prevent you from actually changing an original file. It keeps the originals of every photo, and does non-destructive editing by keeping the edits separately. My guess is that the renaming you have been doing is similar.

So while the extra step may be a bit of a hassle, it is probably there in part to protect users.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 30, 2010 07:22PM
I apologize. I missed seeing in your original post that you had changed this in your camera. I was a little distracted by the three people carrying on their conversation next to me. sad smiley I'm groveling, even if you can't see me.

AlphaDog
Are you sure this is primarily an iPhoto issue or a camera issue? I noticed that was happening on the camera you were using in August, and after seeing this post, I did a radical thing - I got out the instruction book for my camera! I have an option; the numbers will either reset to zero each time a new card is inserted (or images deleted off the card), or I can choose to have the camera's internal memory continue to number the images. In my case, I'm on image number 1600 and something. Humor me and get out the user guide for your camera and look in the index under "Resetting the File Numbers." Please?
Date: January 30, 2010 08:15PM
This is clearly a case of RTFM.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 30, 2010 08:25PM
davester

???????confused smiley
Date: January 30, 2010 08:38PM
Winston
jdc

To quote whoever said it first, "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

One of iPhoto's redeeming features is that the program tries really hard to prevent you from actually changing an original file. It keeps the originals of every photo, and does non-destructive editing by keeping the edits separately. My guess is that the renaming you have been doing is similar.

So while the extra step may be a bit of a hassle, it is probably there in part to protect users.

Good luck.

- Winston

Thank you - thank you - thank you! This will work. Did a test run and other than taking a few extra seconds to hit "export," this will work wonderfully! I know you guys could guide me through this! And yes, I am learning that what I consider an obstacle can also be a "feature." Usually one that I appreciate once I understand it - it may take a while, but I can usually get it!
thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley thumbsup smiley boink smiley wiggle smiley
Date: January 30, 2010 08:44PM
Travlen' JazzZen
davester

???????confused smiley

I would really like to know what this means. I'm new to this whole communicating with many acronyms thing and I suspect you're making fun of me. I'd like to laugh too jest smiley
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 30, 2010 08:54PM
Travlen' JazzZen
Travlen' JazzZen
davester

???????confused smiley

I would really like to know what this means. I'm new to this whole communicating with many acronyms thing and I suspect you're making fun of me. I'd like to laugh too jest smiley

RTFM=Read The F**king Manual. HTH (Hope this helps) grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 30, 2010 09:03PM
rgG
Travlen' JazzZen
Travlen' JazzZen
davester

???????confused smiley

RTFM=Read The F**king Manual. HTH (Hope this helps) grinning smiley

Thanks - I will. And the warm response? Makes me want to post that much more (read sarcasm). I apparently need a lesson in posting etiquette. Maybe you could direct me to that manual?
hail smiley
Date: January 30, 2010 09:56PM
I wasn't trying to be un-"warm". I was simply stating a fact. The "manual" in iPhoto (and most other applications) is the help menu, and I presume your camera also has a manual. Typing a few keywords into help (i.e. "export", "filename", etc) would probably have helped you a lot, though may not necessarily have completely explained the solution discussed here. I'm often surprised at how people work themselves into a lather to the point of rejecting something without ever even looking at the instructions. This may not apply to you, but your initial post suggests that you didn't check the documentation first.

Date: January 31, 2010 07:29AM
davester
I wasn't trying to be un-"warm". I was simply stating a fact. The "manual" in iPhoto (and most other applications) is the help menu, and I presume your camera also has a manual. Typing a few keywords into help (i.e. "export", "filename", etc) would probably have helped you a lot, though may not necessarily have completely explained the solution discussed here. I'm often surprised at how people work themselves into a lather to the point of rejecting something without ever even looking at the instructions. This may not apply to you, but your initial post suggests that you didn't check the documentation first.

You might be surprised to know that I did attempt to use the help menu, but being a lay-person in terms of technology, I used words like "copy" and "title." I find the help function in iphoto to be not very helpful - and not only with this issue. It assumes that the user has basic knowledge - or maybe vernacular - that I apparently don't. Apples website is worse for me in terms of help. If that's also the case with mrf, I'll try to find a more user-friendly forum to post my basic, lay-person questions.
The solution presented here is one I seriously doubt that I would have come up with on my own. Thank you all for that.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 31, 2010 07:53AM
Don't mind davester. He means well.

I've had similar experiences with the "help" available in various programs. I've gotten to where, while I usually do check help menus first, I really should just do a Google search first. One of the advantages of the web is that it's likely someone else somewhere used the same terms you used for a problem. But sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right words, especially with something arcanely technical (or something simple, where you just don't have the key word).

Please do come back!

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 31, 2010 10:05AM
Winston
I've gotten to where, while I usually do check help menus first, I really should just do a Google search first. One of the advantages of the web is that it's likely someone else somewhere used the same terms you used for a problem. But sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right words, especially with something arcanely technical (or something simple, where you just don't have the key word).

Please do come back!

Good luck.

- Winston

I started doing the same thing several years ago, because I know for a fact the people who write the manuals or the Help sections for software don't think like I do. I ran into a similar problem with the user manual for my camera when I had it out for this post. It seemed logical to me that I'd find out how to manage image file numbers under something like "numbering image files" or "setting numbering system." No, "resetting image file numbers." Interestingly, the manual assumed the user wanted to reset the numbers to 0001 again, so the default setting must have been changed somewhere in the last couple of years.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 31, 2010 03:18PM
Don't mind davester. He means well.

THAT cracked me up!

I too am loathe to recommend the Help function of apps. That strikes me as shooting from the hip, which I also don't recommend.

RARE are the times that searching Help as given me an answer. I remember when BGnR used to sarcastically play the Help card, and I'd say "Help doesn't" or "Help doesn't help".

Sure there are case where it does, but they are few and far between. And it a few instances, it seems that the Help files didn't keep up with the OS updates.

So if and when Help works, great. I just can't count on it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020