advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
POLL: Are You a Walmart or Target Person?
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 22, 2005 07:21AM
Ok...in another place I asked if you liked Home Depot or Lowes better. Now I ask:

Are you a Target shopper or Walmart shopper (or K-Mart), and why?

I like Target myself...they dont have fifty million items crowding the aisles like Walmart does. I think their stores and employees look crisper and snappier (the walmart vest is lame). Target's products are a little hipper and cooler, and they always have some interesting items. I also feel like I'm surrounded by the dregs of humanity when I go to Walmart...you know, Uncle Eddie from the Vacation movies shops there for Ol' Roy!

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: POLL: Are You a Walmart or Target Person?
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 22, 2005 07:26AM
Target and Lowes
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: December 22, 2005 07:30AM
Target and my local lumberyard.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 22, 2005 07:33AM
Target. What's WalMart? smiling smiley

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 22, 2005 07:34AM
What? No K-Mart?

I prefer Target. Less crowded, cleaner and the women working there are better looking.

We just got a HD (opened this week), so I have been a Lowe's man until now. Lowes would probably be the better option for a month, since it will be empty until the HD high wears off.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: December 22, 2005 07:46AM
I don't live near either, so I don't really shop at either...if I had to pick, though, I'd choose Target (Walmart has become too large for my taste...not that Target is much better).

-Tofer
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 22, 2005 08:01AM
A lot more of a WM person. Target seems very girly to me. But, they have a good selection of flashlights. VERY GOOD.

One other thing, my wife and I noticed that there is a higher percentage of of target shoppers/employees that are caucasian compared the more diverse shoppers/workers at WM. Don't know why. At least around HERE. Just observations.

Does anyone remember Ayr-Way? (Target's original, L.S. Ayres spin-off name)

What about Kresge's (Pre K-Mart?)

[www.wtv-zone.com]

Zayres, Grant's, Ardan's, and others too.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 08:13AM by SteveJobs.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 22, 2005 08:08AM
TARGET! I would rather go without than buy it at Wally's. I have many reasons which I won't go into.

I'll shop either Lowes or HD, they are about 2 blocks apart where I live. I pass Lowes first, so I usually stop there and if they don't have it I'll go to HD.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: December 22, 2005 08:18AM
"I like Walmart - it keeps the white trash out of the Targets." I love that quote - I stole it from somewhere.
Posted by: Wolf Larsen
Date: December 22, 2005 08:29AM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What about Kresge's (Pre K-Mart?)

Another vote for Kresge's. I bought my goldfish there (may he rest in peace).
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: December 22, 2005 08:31AM
I go to Walmart for the selection and price. Wife likes to go to Target because she thinks the product line is a cut above Walmart's. But then she doesn't have any concern to get the best price on an item like I do.
Posted by: JPK
Date: December 22, 2005 08:33AM
I hate to admit this, but I went to a Wal-Mart just last week. It was one of only a couple of times I had been there.

I had the kids out for the day and since I am not the guru diaper bag packer as my wife is, I left without sippie cups.

Wal Mart had the ones I wanted at a better price than expected. This is a good thing for me as a consumer.

It was crazy, but they seemed to have a pretty good stock of stuff and it didn't seem as crappy as I remembered my last visit a couple of years ago.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth about the Wal Mart culture and tactics in general.

I guess my biggest problem is that if they people who get trampled on by the Wal-Mart way shop there, I guess I can too.

Normally we go to Target. It is almost a weekly outing for my family. Many of the Chicagoland Targets are being converted to Super Targets that have groceries too, so we kind of kill two birds with one stone. Their grocery selection is not a big as the local Jewel or Dominick's grocery stores, but the pricing seems a little better.

JPK
Date: December 22, 2005 08:40AM
Going to any store right before CHRISTMAS will be a little crazy.
Posted by: dmann
Date: December 22, 2005 08:56AM
Target all the way. I am there quite frequently and they are building one in my neighborhood next year so I am happy.

I have been to the Wal-Mart closest to me 4 times. EVERY TIME, and I mean EVERY TIME, the store was a complete mess. Dirty floors, merchandise everywhere, etc. The 2nd problem is the noise level- stereos and TVs turned up for demo and never turned down, employees yelling across the store to one another, continuous overhead announcements that can't be heard over the stereos and TVs and more. Add the crowds packed in there and it is unbearable. Not worth saving a few bucks IMHO.

Of course, if I ever have to buy for a family rather than just myself, that few bucks might become more significant and I might have to put up with the place.

DM
Posted by: kap
Date: December 22, 2005 09:00AM
Mervyn and ACE (local hardware store)

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 22, 2005 09:02AM
Target. I've only been in Walmart twice and I didn't like it nearly as much as Target.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 22, 2005 09:04AM
Wal-Mart is a recent newcomer to my area. I went there once and noticed that the only color option for clothes for Little Poochie came in camo. I also found the store to be too jammed with merchandise. Target has wider aisles and is cleaner and brighter.

That, and the corporate practices at W-M make Bob Crachit's job seem great by comparison.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 22, 2005 09:05AM
Wal-mart is like lunch at the dump. Crap everywhere and it's nobody's fault or job to help you. "Gee, I don't know!" should be on those vests instead of "How may I help you?"

Kuhmart I guess....

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 22, 2005 09:15AM
I'd rather shop at Target, but they're 1/2 hr away, so I do most of my shopping--groceries especially--at Wal-Mart, which is just five minutes away.

Lux - Have you been to the new Home Depot yet? I have!

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 22, 2005 09:28AM
Tar-jé.
Aside from WM's bad juju, the lines are interminable there.

Posted by: sscutchen
Date: December 22, 2005 09:36AM
Used to be a Target guy buy a wide margin. They were easier to get around in, it was easier to find stuff, faster, and they had more checkouts going per person than my Wal-Mart.

But they closed Target and opened a SuperTarget. Now they have food. Big whoop. But they seem to have less of everything else, and it seems much more spread out. It takes FOREVER to shop there now.

My Wal-Mart also has food, but it seems easier to ignore that side of things than at Target. Wal-Mart seems divided into thirds; food, clothes, everything else. If you don't want food or clothes, you can concentrate in that other third of the floor space.

The customer base at Target seems more upscale, which is odd since they are only a couple of miles apart. Maybe it's that the store seems more upscale, without all the crap in the way everywhere...

As far as Lowes v HD, Lowes seems to have better stuff inside. But HD has a better garden dept. Lowes makes a point of being less warehouse-like than HD inside. That might seem less intimidating to casual home improvers. Doesn't bother me, though, like the difference between Wal-Mart and Target does.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: December 22, 2005 09:37AM
Between the two, I prefer Target. But, my real preference for that kind of store is Fred Meyer.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 09:38AM by kahuna1342.
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 22, 2005 09:40AM
Mom and pop stores.

Wal-Mart's goal is to shutdown mom and pop stores. There are known documents from them to do so. They price specific items at a loss to themselves in order price the small stores out of business.

Also Wal-Mart pays incredibly low wages without benefits. Wal-Mart workers have tried to form unions and have threatened, intimidated, and fired their workers for such actions.

As a matter of principle, I have never bought one item from Wal-Mart and never will.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: December 22, 2005 09:59AM
Target gets our money on a weekly basis - always a pleaseure to shop there. Best clearance items and prices anywhere.

Wal-Mart - I haven't shopped in one for years. I despise the rotten place. They're nasty nasty places to shop, and they ruin economies price cut by price cut. NOT worth saving ten cents on a bag of chips to me (besides they aren't always cheaper on the real things you want, if they even have quality offerings). I'll willingly spend a bit more for nicer stuff, it's well worth it. You want cheap, you get cheap.

Kathy

Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: December 22, 2005 10:10AM
Target, Walmart is one of the most evil corporations on earth. [imdb.com]

Every US taxpayer pays for Walmarts Billions in profits even if they don't shop there. It's corporate welfare while the Waltons keep billions among a vast array of other evil practices.

He is just one of many abuses [www.wvgazette.com]

America needs to wake up.Walmart is ruining this country as they directly pump money, 20 billion a year into China as part of this country's 200 billion $ a year trade deficit with China alone. China in turn is using the money to build up their military.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 10:23AM by pRON aHOLIC.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 22, 2005 10:18AM
SteveJobs Wrote:
> A lot more of a WM person. Target seems very girly
> to me.

That is a good thing. There are some attractive Babes roaming the aisles of Target. There was a running joke years ago about Grocery Stores being a great pick up place (Slam your Cart into hers to break the ice).

Seems that Target could be the new "pick up place". This is just an observation, I have not tried it yet.

By the way, I am a Target person. I have only stepped foot in a Walmart twice and each time, the savings WERE NOT worth being in that environment. I would grab the item I came for, look at the Zoo of a checkout, and immediately go elsewhere.

I have shopped Sams Clubs on One Day Guest Passes with good results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 10:20AM by ArtP.
Posted by: Phy
Date: December 22, 2005 10:22AM
Don't use either one.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 22, 2005 10:32AM
Target, but very rarely.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: December 22, 2005 10:49AM
I prefer Target but I will go into a Wal-Mart as a last resort. I can actually relax and breathe in a Target. Wal-Marts leave me feeling depressed and surly, ready to kick a puppy.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: December 22, 2005 10:50AM
I'd go to Target but there's not one close by, so K-mart by default.
I don't like Wal-mart but I got a WM gift card so I guess I'll have to stop by once the seasonal madness subsides a little.

Posted by: davester
Date: December 22, 2005 10:52AM
Neither. I stick with the local shopping districts because they keep the neighborhoods alive that make our town nice to live in. I've never been into a Walmart, and only occasionally venture to a Target store. The box stores are a pox on the landscape. If you want to live in a miserable landscape of giant box stores and subdivisions with no interesting commercial areas, then by all means go to those places.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 22, 2005 11:00AM
Target, any old day of the week. I've been there fix or six times the last week, and I'll be back there again today. The parking lot is a pain but that's about the worst thing I can say about them.

I have been in some pretty dreadful Targets, though. You hear me, Cupertino?

I really don't like Wal*Mart. But as for the gov't health care benefits issue, I think it's worth pointing out that Medicare was specifically reformed so that it covered not just the unemployed, but people working low wage jobs. Remember? People didn't want to get a job because then they'd lose their Medicare benefits. Still, despite this, I'm troubled every time Wal*Mart crows that half of their employees get health care benefits.
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: December 22, 2005 11:06AM
Walmart is closer but I would never shop there. The one time I did go in to the local one near me, is was the bigest mess I had ever seen. Dont even get me started on the people who work there, I could not find anyone who spoke passable english.

So I drive to Target.
We have a super Target that is closer than the regular Target, but I dont like the super Target, it to big, take 3X as long to find what you want.

I pick Lowes over HD however we dont have a lowes nearby so I have to use HD.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: December 22, 2005 11:06AM
Never even set foot inside a Wal*Mart. Never plan on doing so.

Target's pretty good, though I do have to drive a fair ways out of the City to get to the nearest one, so I probably only go every few months. I make a run there to stock up on basics (TP, shampoo, contact lens solution, &c.), and they occasionally even have some staple clothes that are decent enough.

I've never set foot inside a Lowe's, either: mostly because I had no idea until recently where the nearest one was located. It's still out of the way enough that I won't be terribly tempted to go there instead of Orchard Supply Hardware or one of the local mom-n-pop's (the Cole's Hardware chainlet in San Francisco is great!).
Posted by: bill b
Date: December 22, 2005 11:18AM
The Walmart here is a pig pen mess and filthy. So is the K-Mart, but it's old.

Target's a bit of a drive.

Home Depot is horrible here, too.
They redid the store 'kiosk' style and it took them a year. Stayed open the whole time.
The store is not improved, still a mess, shelves stocked with the package labels backwards. Awful place to go. Piles of lumber, good luck picking throughto find the dimensions you want.
Lowes just opened a year ago. What a contrast. They must have made "anal-retentive neat freak" a hiring prerequisite. Even the garden dept. is picture perfect and they water their plants.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 22, 2005 12:02PM
if you shop at wal-mart, you get what you deserve. I just wish more of 'the masses' cared and were educated about how evil that corporation is..

and for those that care, Home Depot donates, I believe, 100% of their political contributions to the republican party. So, personally, I stay away :-) We have the greatest little hardware store in downtown that has been there forever....

oh, and I will very occasionally go to Target..but rarely..

kiva
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 22, 2005 12:03PM
Targee. . .never been to Walmart and I hope I never have to. . .

I don't like the way they do "business" especially with the issue of wages/benefits, etc.

I hear from others that it is dirty. My local Target is clean. . .big isles. . .pleasant environment. . .it can get way crowded though so I go as early as I can. . .

Same thing with K-mart. . .can "dirty. . .

I'd rather pay double the price then shop at Wallyworld. . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 12:12PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: tys
Date: December 22, 2005 12:11PM
Target is too posh for my tastes. Wal-mart has a creepy feel to me. K-mart is the only "mega-low-mart" that I like. Maybe because they've been around since I was a kid. It seems like K-mart is a store for the poor, while Walmart is a store for the cheap.
Is Walmart really more evil than the others or do they just get all the publicity?

tys
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 22, 2005 12:13PM
Never been to a Wal-mart. Love Targee, but now that they have one in Brooklyn, well it's just not exotic anymore.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 22, 2005 12:13PM
WalMart. I was just there an hour ago. Ours is clean, well stocked, with plenty of checkouts open and pleasant, polite people. The nearest Target is 25 miles away; I'm hoping they'll open one nearby, because I prefer it for many of the reasons already suggested.
Date: December 22, 2005 12:17PM
"Home Depot donates, I believe, 100% of their political contributions to the republican party"

I will take note of that. Just another reason TO shop there. Thanks. Do they sell Leatherman doohickeys? (they are a liberal contributor)
Posted by: h'
Date: December 22, 2005 12:41PM
Ick.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 22, 2005 01:05PM
Lowes and Leatherman. Home Depot is so wrong or awkward layout. It is never busy so I am not the olny one that feels that way. Walmart is the nearest and they are everywhere. They are all neat. My K-mart is a mess and the next closest one is worse. Target is pretty but I leave empty handed. Ace hardware is close and and worth the extra dime for time.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: December 22, 2005 01:23PM
Kiva Wrote:
> if you shop at wal-mart, you get what you deserve.
> I just wish more of 'the masses' cared and were
> educated about how evil that corporation is..
>
> and for those that care, Home Depot donates, I
> believe, 100% of their political contributions to
> the republican party. So, personally, I stay away
> :-) We have the greatest little hardware store in
> downtown that has been there forever....

Here's some stats on contibutions

Home depot
[www.buyblue.org]

Walmart
[www.buyblue.org]
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 22, 2005 01:42PM
thanks for the more specific data, pron. The above remark that this is a reason *to* buy there cracks me up. Wal Mart is clearly evil incarnate - and people connect the dots....amazing..

kiva
Date: December 22, 2005 01:49PM
Kiva Wrote:
> thanks for the more specific data, pron. The
> above remark that this is a reason *to* buy there
> cracks me up. Wal Mart is clearly evil incarnate
> - and people connect the dots....amazing..
>
> kiva

Walmart is so large now that it is cheaper for them to settle or pay fines instead of complying with employment laws.

People get upset at Big Tobacco for taxing medicaid resources as smokers get ill and can't afford health care.

Walmart makes billions in profits and this country has paid billions in corporate welfare so they don't have to supply as many benefits to their workers.

They then preach "family values" such as not selling legal prescriptions such as birth control but will sell pornography in China. As far as I am concerned, a family that has health care supplied by an employee is a family value. Walmart and their billions find more value in making the US taxpayer absorb their greed.
Date: December 22, 2005 01:53PM
I heard bout that cheatin' their workers of benefits. . .that is REAL evil!

Date: December 22, 2005 02:04PM
NewtonMP2100 Wrote:
> I heard bout that cheatin' their workers of
> benefits. . .that is REAL evil!
>
>

It's not bad enough that they PROFIT billions, but they pass the cost of health care on to the US taxpayer. Even if you don't shop there you are still paying.

I can see a struggling company cutting costs but they profit billions. Then they make rinky dink donations through their tax dodges and runs endless commercials to make you forget how evil they are.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 22, 2005 02:11PM
All of our Walmarts are filthy & over crowded. I absolutely despise going to ANY of them around here. And i don't unless its like 6 in the AM when its in and out really quick.
Date: December 22, 2005 02:14PM
That is what makes it so EVIL. ..they are making billions but cut cost by cheatin their workers whom they are barely paying a living wage as it is. . .

As I said, I'd rather pay double or triple for products than give Wacky Wallyworld my business. . .

the problem is for most people price is the bottom line and since they usually do have the lowest prices. . .people will continue to shop there (I'm not making any judgements on people who do shop there. . .)

pRON aHOLIC Wrote:

> It's not bad enough that they PROFIT billions, but
> they pass the cost of health care on to the US
> taxpayer. Even if you don't shop there you are
> still paying.
>
> I can see a struggling company cutting costs but
> they profit billions. Then they make rinky dink
> donations through their tax dodges and runs
> endless commercials to make you forget how evil
> they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020