advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What’s a good boy’s name
Posted by: Webster J. Duck
Date: April 22, 2006 10:54PM
We have about two weeks to go and the wife is in love with “Gavin” or "Tate". I like Christopher and David, but those are a no go with the boss. I need ideas to save the boy...anyone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What’s a good boy’s name
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 22, 2006 11:03PM
From the middle school perspective....Gavin or Tate are going to be cause for years of therapy.

<This post is sure to offend someone. Sorry.>

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: WillyB
Date: April 22, 2006 11:07PM
Willy!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 22, 2006 11:07PM
Stewie
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 22, 2006 11:08PM
hip vs traditional =)

sorry, i like Gavin if those are our only choices

<start rant pet peeve>
and nothing personal but why is everyone finding out the gender of their babies before they are born? what a friggin let down.

its possibly *the* biggest thing to happen in our life -- there was nothing more exciting for me to call everyone and say "its a GIRL!" the day my daughter was born -- the excitment was overwhleming. but finding out when we are getting an ultrasound -- YAWN

and dont give me the "we gotta get ready" BS -- cause its just that BS
<stop>
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 22, 2006 11:12PM
how about wallace?

Date: April 22, 2006 11:20PM
The pragmatist versus the romantic...we can't understand why one wouldn't want to know. I suspect that's why they give you a choice.

Actually, none of our boys were the slightest bit modest in-utero rendering any speculation moot. Regardless, even had the sex not been unavoidably obvious, we would have asked.
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: April 22, 2006 11:23PM
Maybe Steve, but never Bill.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 22, 2006 11:27PM
Webster, you happen to be in luck, I am a bit of an amateur etymologist.

I'm strongly on your side here. Point out to the wife that trendy or "hip" names are, unfortunately, prone to teasing (as others here have pointed out) and don't stand the test of time. There is a reason why Biblical names have, and will always continue to be, popular: they are strong, classic names which have universal appeal.

Save the unusual names for the middle name, where it is not something the child has to deal with, except under formal settings.

I suggest you come up with a compromise: another couple of names that neither of you necessarily has your heart set on...

For ideas, look here: [parenting.ivillage.com]

Edit: Oh, and VERY important-- when choosing a name, you have to take into account both the middle and last names, but especially the latter. A good rule of thumb is: if the last name is a single syllable, the first name should be one, two, or three syllables; if the last name is two syllables, the first name is best one or two syllables; and if the last name is three syllables or more, you are really best off with a single syllable first name, otherwise saying the whole name becomes a mouthful. You want something euphonious when spoken...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2006 11:38PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: April 22, 2006 11:30PM
Something old school and manly.
None of this "last name as a first name," yuppie garbage.
So how about Marion, Dana or Leslie?

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 22, 2006 11:37PM
Plexmator

Smorgoluptus

Xzysnoptical

Long Duck Dong

Nosmo King

Robo Tussin

Blaque Asfault

Dead Neurons

BGnR
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 22, 2006 11:38PM
If I have a daughter i'm going to name her Bonifra.

Posted by: Linda2
Date: April 22, 2006 11:58PM
Chase, Sebastian, Brandon, Braden, Harry, Jefferson, Jack.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 23, 2006 12:06AM
Chuck Norris...

...no one teases Chuck Norris.
Date: April 23, 2006 12:13AM
We're down to Clay Isaac or Calvin Isaac. The allusion to Calvinism bothers me a little, but the wife is fine with it.

Those or Hal. We're still thinking.
Posted by: microchip13
Date: April 23, 2006 12:18AM
Don't go with Tate.

I've known some Tates. We called them "Tatertot."

Gavin's not bad, nor is David.

Gavin sounds more fun, Christopher sounds more formalish.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 23, 2006 12:25AM
"Filliam H. Muffman"

You pick what the H stands for.

Edit:

Oh, and since you are asking for OPINIONS, I think Tate & Gavin are annoying & pretentious names.

Unless you are a modern art museum or the captain of the Love Boat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 12:28AM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: Monster
Date: April 23, 2006 12:26AM
Monster

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 23, 2006 12:33AM
name him "poopie".

it'll be more accurate than you'll care to admit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 12:35AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 23, 2006 12:44AM
I've been giving it deep thought...and I think you should go with "Effin".

<First post from new MBPro....fast but way different from 12 ALBook!>

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 23, 2006 12:52AM
Goose-Goose

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: h'
Date: April 23, 2006 12:54AM
Why not Webster Jr.?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Date: April 23, 2006 01:21AM
Naven R Johnson?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 01:22AM by Racer X.
Date: April 23, 2006 01:29AM
Webster Jr. would be Patrick and the wife hates that name (probably not without reason) and if I named him "Effin" he’d never know when I was talking to him.

Speaking of “poopie” I forgot all about Meconium and colic. Ah, the fun we’re in for.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 23, 2006 01:36AM
I think that names like Robert, John, or James are the most versatile because they can grow with the child. For example, Robert can be Robert, Rob, Robby, Bob, or Bobby. James and John provide Jim and Jack respectively. What is little Gavin's nick-name going to be? Nothing too flattering I'd suspect. The name Gavin makes me think of the singer from the band "Bush", which is two unfortunate strikes against him.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 23, 2006 01:59AM
Avoid the last letter of the first name being the same as the first letter of the last name (Dennis S). It runs together

Avoid sexually ambiguous names: Lynn, Pat, Gene, etc.

Avoid Dick and Peter

Date: April 23, 2006 02:27AM
and for gawd sakes, if your name is Richard Whacker, don't name your son Dick Whacker Jr.
Posted by: Ironhorse
Date: April 23, 2006 04:54AM
Sue
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 23, 2006 05:29AM
A name that allows the kid to opt in is always good. We named our first Christina in order for her to decide if she wanted to be a Christina, a Tina, a Chris or a psychotherapist who would treat her parents at no charge.

She elected to be Tina and to charge us.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: April 23, 2006 06:32AM
Try the Name Voyager:

[www.babynamewizard.com]

See how names go in and out of style ...

=TC
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: April 23, 2006 06:36AM
Denise was pretty popular through the 50's, 60's and 70'. Denephew never caught on.

=TC
Posted by: grad
Date: April 23, 2006 07:39AM
willy dong jr
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: April 23, 2006 08:01AM
Would 'Tate' by any chance be short for Tater Salad??

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 23, 2006 08:27AM
Connor or Christian.

Da Good Life
Date: April 23, 2006 08:38AM
Dennis, I never had much of a problem with "Peter" other than the inevitable "Pumpkineater" thing, but... you can make fun of almost any name...

The point is that if you have a boy, you want a traditionally strong male name:

James
Christopher
David
Peter
Joshua
Robert
Richard
Thomas
William

etc. (many of these being good Biblical names, as I pointed out earlier)

likewise, if a girl, a traditionally female name. I believe some studies have been done to suggest that a gender-ambiguous or gender-opposite name tends to encourage gayness (to the extent that it is influenced by environment), and an atypical name tends to haunt the child through childhood, adolescence, and later life. Unless you intend to do either of these things, I would avoid them...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 08:40AM by PeterB.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 23, 2006 09:16AM
Gavin makes me shutter. Tate is not much better. I agree
with PeterB and would add Jacob to the list. These are names
of authority, they command respect in the real world.

I have a distant relative that actually named their daughter
"Heaven", can you imagine what she's going to go through when
she gets in high school.

Grateful11
Posted by: dmann
Date: April 23, 2006 09:45AM
Looks like I land on the wrong side of the fence in this discussion. While I don't go for completely "out there" (Apple, Coco, Jett, Rumor etc.), I am not a HUGE fan of traditional names. That said there are a few I love for both girls and boys. (If I ever have a girl I would love to name her Molly after my great-grandmother. I like Aaron, Jonah and Jacob for boys.)

My first name was VERY popular in the late 60's and early 70's and I have never been fond of it. From kindergarten on, there were at least 3 other girls in my class with the same name. It is a biblical name with an easy nickname.

I have always loved the name Evan for a boy and one of my best friends named her son Brian.

DM
Posted by: trisho.
Date: April 23, 2006 10:00AM
I find it interesting that people are pushing for what are considered rather generic names even though they "traditional" such as John instead of names that are a bit more "ethnic" like Gavin.

Why? I'm honestly curious and somewhat agree with dmann. I'm not saying to name your kids Morgan or something annoying like that but just wondering why the move to only use ten very common names out of the Western-Christian-Judeo world when there are thousands within the same cultural scope...

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 23, 2006 10:01AM
I like Gavin. It's a strong name, obviously a male name, and not used to death. Gavin Christopher sounds nice.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 23, 2006 10:02AM
Pick a name and enter it here for some non-scientific info:

[www.babynamewizard.com]

For instance, the name "Gavin" has apparently spiked heavily in usage. There'll be a lot of other Gavins in school. Same with "Tate", apparently.

Our first son was named after my great grandfather (the first son born in the U.S.); Peter. His middle name is my father-in-law's; Anthony. I'm a "III", there was no way there was going to be a "IV" in naming. (FWIW, my grandparents understood this fine; my dad has always had a problem with it; so much so that it was even part of his eulogy to my grandfather at his funeral.)

My second son; we were stuck. We always knew the naming convention of our first son, but we never planned the name for the second. His middle name is my wife's maiden name (her family had no sons to carry on the name, so we did in a fashion). One night before he was born I was reading a novel and came across the name "Alexander". It stuck.

When our daughter was born, everyone assumed we'd name her Catherine (well, with Peter and Alexander, that kind of fit). But my wife had a bad association with the name Catherine (a relative), so we looked a bit more. We liked "Wendy", but that had also been the name of my cat of 20 years, as well as her best friend, and she didn't want anyone to think we named our daughter after the cat. smiling smiley I had a friend at one of my client's named Gwen, and we both liked Gwendolyn, so we went with that. Originally, we were thinking Rose Adele (my paternal and maternal grandmothers, respectively) but decided on Gwendolyn Rose a few days before she was born. (My grandmother, Ada, was not put off by this; she's got oodles of grandkids and two of them already have the name Ada in there somewhere.)

And FWIW, we didn't know the sex of any of the kids before they were born -- except Alexander. The nurse doing the ultrasound accidentally said "looks like a wonderfully healthy baby boy" by accident before he was born.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 10:10AM by Zoidberg.
Date: April 23, 2006 10:05AM
trisho. funny you should mention Morgan! That is my niece's middle name. Her first name is Kasey.

They picked Morgan because my grandmother's name was Dora and my BIL's grandmother's name is Dorothy. They weren't crazy about either one but Morgan has a similar sound. smiling smiley

DM
Date: April 23, 2006 10:13AM
From The Sure Thing:

Gib: Elliot? You're gonna name the kid Elliot? No, you can't name the kid Elliot. Elliot is a fat kid with glasses who eats paste. You're not gonna name the kid Elliot. You gotta give him a real name. Give him a name! Like Nick.

Alison: Nick?

Gib: Yeah, Nick! Nick's the kinda guy you can trust. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kinda guy you drink beers with. The kinda guy that doesn't care if you puke in his car. Nick!”

I also always liked the name Nick Tate; the actor. When you mentioned Tate I thought of that.

Date: April 23, 2006 10:18AM
Name history can be very interesting -- as a BTW, if you're curious as to why the name "Wendy" appears to be non-existent before the 1920s, that's because it was all but non-existent until Barrie wrote Peter Pan: [www.wendy.com]

From the article, where it's discussed about the children Barrie took his story cues from:

One such child was a little girl named Margaret Henley (shown at the left) who adored Barrie and always called him "my friendy". However, because she couldn't pronounce her r's, the words came out "my fwendy". One variation of the tale says Margaret called Barrie "friendy-wendy" or in her pronunciation, "fwendy-wendy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 10:28AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: April 23, 2006 10:37AM
Whoops, dmann. I hope I didn't offend.

By the way, I do believe there are certain personality characteristics/traits associated with each name due to meaning. I've a known a few Morgans and a couple of them have been snotty or highfalutin'. But they aren't as bad as the people I've known named Alex though. Just about every person I've ever known with "Alex" somewhere in the name (Alexander, Alexa, Alexandria, Alexia, Alexis, etc.) have all been jerks or brats with the exception of one girl named Alex. She is one of the most down to earth people in the world.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 23, 2006 10:45AM
Couple of things to consider - how does the name sound with your last name, and what do the initials, first middle last, spell out.

Thinking of these two things can avoid some unfortunate incindents later in life.

Date: April 23, 2006 10:58AM
No worries trisho.! Several of the names suggested here aren't my favorites either. To each her own. ;)

DM
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: April 23, 2006 11:18AM
Interesting post.

When we were having our first baby, we knew we were having a girl. I left it up to my wife to name her. She came up with "Tessa Noel." I thought that was a very beautiful name. Kind of an old world feel to it. European. How did she ever think of that?

Easy.

She was a hardcore fan of "The Highlander" Series at the time. Duncan McCloud's girlfriend in the first season and part of the second season was Tessa Noel.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: April 23, 2006 12:16PM
Look, forget all these hippie tree hugger suggestions. Just name him something bland like Frank. Then encourage him to change his name on his 18th birthday. He will have lots of time to think about what his REAL name is and will look forward to starting fresh with a new name at age 18.

Sincerelly,
His Divine Shadow

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Posted by: Blurb
Date: April 23, 2006 12:19PM
Instead of Jack, I prefer Jackson. Sounds stronger, and still gives the kid the option of using the shorter Jack version, if he chooses. Also, Luke (or Lucas), and Harris (shortened to Harry when desired).

Wishes for a healthy baby and happy Mom!
Date: April 23, 2006 02:10PM
To comment a bit more on some points brought up by dmann and trisho:

1) I didn't say I was a huge fan of traditional names; actually, I am not. What it is though, is one has to consider the effect on the child and not just one's own personal preferences-- so I'd say that I'm in favor of *defaulting* to these names... but am not hard and fast about it. They're just "safer bets", so to speak. In fact, the ones dmann mentioned-- Aaron, Jonah, Jacob for boys-- those are Biblical names. So is dmann's first name (which for privacy I won't say here). Molly for a girl is a beautiful name, and very traditional in its origins (Irish/Hebrew in this case). My point was therefore to try to stick with relatively traditional names if only because they are generally "safer".

2) While it's true that there's nothing wrong with using ethnic names, the reality is that people are judged on appearances, and a name can make or break a person's life (ask any entertainer about this). Right now, the Irish/Gaelic names are especially in favor -- for example, Gavin and Connor for boys. These are just as trendy as anything else.

Here's another part of the same site that might help Webster... [parenting.ivillage.com]

And lots more, somewhat amusing, discussion of the general subject:

[forums.dealmac.com]
[forums.dealmac.com]
[forums.dealmac.com]
[forums.dealmac.com]
[forums.dealmac.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 02:21PM by PeterB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018