advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Twenty more inches of snow? Where are we going to put 20 more inches of snow?
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 08, 2010 04:39PM
Wednesday storm is bring 20 inches and there is another forming in the south that will hit on the weekend. I think I am going officially crazy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Twenty more inches of snow? Where are we going to put 20 more inches of snow?
Posted by: threeprong
Date: February 08, 2010 04:40PM
Where you at?
Re: Twenty more inches of snow? Where are we going to put 20 more inches of snow?
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 08, 2010 04:47PM
Yeah, heard that and thought of you! We are gearing up for 8-12" here- a mere drop in the bucket compared to what you guys have been socked with.

Good thing is, we can handle it relatively well.

Stay safe Gutie-
DM
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 08, 2010 04:47PM
I thought I'd be just another 5"?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 08, 2010 04:56PM
Goodness - get to the grocery store, Bread and Milk.

Also get emergency water. We were without water for 2 days and my backup water came in so handy, just wish I would have had more.

We are slated for sleet/ice, but I think most of that will be above Atlanta.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 08, 2010 05:03PM
stop whining. kids know what to do - get started on the snow palace!

Posted by: jardster
Date: February 08, 2010 05:05PM
We had 25" just outside of DC, now they are calling for 8-16" more here. We lost power for over 36 hours... to cold for the kids, so we hiked the 1.5 miles to my parents (actually we only had to walk about a quarter of that because someone actually got their truck out and drove us part of the way). What an adventure with my 7 year old son, me pulling my 4 yo daughter on a sled, and my wife walking (she's 8 months pregnant). It was worth it to sleep with heat. Not sure we can do it again if we lose power again.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 08, 2010 05:08PM
threeprong
Where you at?

Storm is sweeping through Chicago and Cleveland and then on through DC up to Boston. I am in Baltimore.
Posted by: kanesa
Date: February 08, 2010 05:51PM
My sister lives in Annapolis. She says it is bad. People were saving spaces in the parking lot of her apartment complex with chairs and boxes. My sister threw the chairs and boxes aside and drove her truck in. The guy wanted to hit her. Now my sister is a 56 yo breast cancer survivor who served in Desert Storm. You don't mess with her. She said, "Go ahead and hit me but I will get the police and put your a** in jail." The guy backed off. It's only going to get worse with more snow.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 08, 2010 06:10PM
It was a chilly 68 in Orlando today.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 08, 2010 06:14PM
Oh boy, I do feel sorry for you guys. I have a niece and a nephew in college in northern VA. They are supposed to be coming to Atlanta this weekend, but depending on when these things hit, I wonder if they will be able to get in/out.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 08, 2010 06:26PM
We got 2 feet of snow on Saturday here in Philadelphia. The forecast is for snow starting tomorrow (Tuesday) night, snowing all day Wednesday. We're suppposed to get 12 - 18 inches more.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 08, 2010 06:34PM
I'd suggest that you put the additional snow on top of your old snow.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 08, 2010 07:12PM
Methinks the National Guard is going to have to bring in MREs in some places. Yeesh.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 08, 2010 07:17PM
I love the El Nino years in Seattle. Most of the winter in the 50s and little rain.
(How do you put the squiggle above the n?)
Posted by: comaplate
Date: February 08, 2010 07:31PM
Saw an interesting stat on the news this evening - Philly and DC have about 54" of snow so far this year. Concord, NH has just over 38" this snow season.

I jinxed New England via purchasing a new 2-stage snow thrower this year. Once I started to get the hang of using it at a level where humans, animals, and objects would not be in imminent danger, the snow has backed off in Southern NH.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 08, 2010 07:35PM
I have to wonder at what point do these folks need to start getting some of the snow off their
roof. I know a couple large buildings have already collapsed.

Grateful11
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: February 08, 2010 07:43PM
Buck
I love the El Nino years in Seattle. Most of the winter in the 50s and little rain.
(How do you put the squiggle above the n?)

Option-n then n : ñ

=TC
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: February 08, 2010 08:44PM
8 months pregnant?! wow maybe you should just send them over there now! phew!wink smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 08, 2010 11:04PM
From my experience it will all be gone by May.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 08, 2010 11:43PM
The year that I graduated from college in Erie PA we still had 6in of snow on the ground 1 week before our outdoor graduation ceremony. The day of the ceremony it was in the high 80s to low 90s though and everything was in bloom.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 09, 2010 12:28AM
ztirffritz
The year that I graduated from college in Erie PA we still had 6in of snow on the ground 1 week before our outdoor graduation ceremony. The day of the ceremony it was in the high 80s to low 90s though and everything was in bloom.

Yeah. 'Same thing happened to me in northern MA. If we didn't have 3 feet of snow on the ground by Halloween, people started watching for 3-headed calves and toadstool-circles.

But this far south, more than a few inches of snow each season is unusual.

Maybe we should be watching out for 3-headed calves and toadstool-circles.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 09, 2010 02:28AM
davester

Sometimes people just miss the most obvious solution. ;)
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2010 06:55AM
Lux Interior
davester

Sometimes people just miss the most obvious solution. ;)

Sounds like a LIFO solution to me. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 09, 2010 08:08AM
rgG

Wouldn't that be FILO?

On my street there is so much snow that every pile had reached a peak, like a pyramid, so any more snow will only increase the base, not the height, which means it goes in the street or on the sidewalks, or in between the cars. We have 5+ foot tall piles in every yard from all the shoveling. The plows and bobcats they brought in can't pile any higher.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 09, 2010 08:22AM
mikebw
rgG

Wouldn't that be FILO?

Ok, so I had to look it up. It seems you're both right.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Easy one.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2010 08:34AM
In the Snow Bank.

Any kid could have told you that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 09, 2010 09:08AM
Ship it to Vancouver.

Blizzard of '78 I helped my brother wheel barrow all the snow from the front of his house to the back. Neighbors, too.
City plow would come and push it all back into driveways and sidewalks and then all the homeowners would go shovel it all back out into the street. Sort of a never ending cycle. Usually the street becomes a packed down refrozen rutted mess ripping exhausts off.

In crowded city streets usually you end with with big piles in parking spaces.
Not uncomon to have one car out front in the street and any other cars down the road in a public parking lot or business lot. At least at night.

Can't dump truckloads of it into rivers and waterways any more in some places. So it goes in huge piles in parking lots and melts into those same water zones.

Kinda glad I didn't live in the city .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020