Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I just invoked the Andrew Zimmern Clause
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 09, 2010 01:55PM
Poll
Not with somebody else's taste buds or "Have Gums, Will Travel"?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
13 votes were received.
Hey, no sweat. It's all protein. 4

31%
No thanks. I'll save the bug eating for the next time I audition to be a carnival geek. 9

69%

I was jonesing for a few hot cakes this morning, so I dumped the last small batch of pancake mix into a bowl, added water, and gave it a quick stir. Then I had a "What's dat?" moment.

Small, Brownish/black. Somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16" long. Fished it out and isolated it on the back of a spoon. Hmmm... Okay. Probably just random schmatta.

Then I found another. This one with a suspiciously unfortunate looking thin, curved small end to it. Bug-like-foot unfortunate. Crap. My denial shields were down to 40% and falling fast. Did a bowl to bowl transfer a couple of times to looks for more... stuff... and turned up a slightly longer UGO (Unidentified Gross Object). This one had a couple of more thin bits on it and may or may not have had some segmentation (Half coated in flapjack batter, it was hard to tell).

That was it. No more ooky bits to be found. So, What Would Andrew Zimmern* Do?

To cut to the chase, once the cakes were off the griddle and the syrup was on, I didn't give it a second thought. Though I admit that, not being a starving prisoner in a Soviet gulag at the moment, this one was nudging up against my gross out envelope. But ultimately I figure that in the course of things I've probably unknowingly eaten a lot worse than anything that might have been in that box.

* For the record, I can't stand his show. Anthony Bourdain = Try anything/Respect for other traditions and cultures. Andrew Zimmern = 'Woo hoo! Loookit me! I'm the fat kid who'll eat his own boogers! Lookit me!'
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I just invoked the Andrew Zimmern Clause
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 09, 2010 02:04PM
I about choked on my Diet Dew when you used Bordain and Respect in the same sentence...
Andrew Zimmern is FAR more respectful and nice a guy than Anthony Bordain.

I've often wished that Zimmern would take over "No Reservations" from Anthony Bordain. Better host, less gross.
Everyone wins. Well, except maybe Anthony...

Where was I?
Oh, yeah... I'd have picked the bugs I could find out, and then be very careful not to pay attention when eating the pancakes.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: February 09, 2010 02:07PM
I realize our food supply is subject to a certain percentage of "foreign matter".

30 years ago, I worked in a beef slaughterhouse. I saw things that would make you puke but I still eat meat.

But there is no way I am going to go out of my way to intentionally consume bugs. If it happens by accident, so be it. But once I have seen said critter...or even worse, more critters; that's it. I'm not touching it.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 09, 2010 02:13PM
Paul,
Got to disagree somewhat about Bourdain/Zimmern. It's Zimmern who wears embarrassingly loud outfits in inappropriate places, and who refused to drink banana beer when offered it in Tanzania by a tribe who were obviously proud of it. Bourdain has said that he feels obliged to eat anything if to refuse so would be rude to his host. Then again, since I don't know either of them, it's hard to tell what's schtick and what they're really like when off camera. And by the way, I'd have added a little more syrup and downed the pancakes.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2010 02:14PM
What, you didn't have a fine enough sifter ? That's what they're for, BTW. Sifting out da buggies.
Date: February 09, 2010 02:15PM
Paul F.
I about choked on my Diet Dew when you used Bordain and Respect in the same sentence...
Andrew Zimmern is FAR more respectful and nice a guy than Anthony Bordain.
Oh Bourdain can be plenty disrespectful to peers and those he considers faux peers; he can be one snarky (and damned funny) SOB. But I've never seen him exhibit anything but respect to the people and cultures he deals with on "Reservations".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 02:19PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 09, 2010 02:16PM
It all depends on how hungry you really are.
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 09, 2010 02:31PM
Check your rice and oatmeal.

'Sounds like you've got grain beetles or weevils.

Put grains, flour, etc. into sealed metal, ceramic or plastic containers. Those buggies burrow through paper and cardboard and can quickly infest a whole cupboard.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 09, 2010 02:34PM
Um, I've bitten into a waffle and it was crunchy.
Didn't realize it was not egg shall crunchy until pouring the batter into the pan for a second one.

The balance went in the compost.

I've never made breakfast that quick after awaking ever again.

I've seen the inside of a cod fish automatic filleting machine.
I've seen a dead chicken wiggling.
Date: February 09, 2010 02:36PM
zeppo;

Funny... I recall him DRINKING the banana beer...
AND eating anything offered to him every place I've seen him go.
I will, of course, be on the lookout for that episode and see if you're correct. But that would be out of character based on what I've seen of Andrew Zimmern.

Now, to Anthony Bordains credit; he had the stones to eat half raw pig anus in Namibia. I give him plenty of props for doing that out of respect for his hosts. (he also related on another show that that make him as sick as he's ever been for about 3 days).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2010 02:54PM
Paul F.
zeppo;

Now, to Anthony Bordains credit; he had the stones to eat half raw pig anus in Namibia.

There is no one, no place, no way, unless I was starved half to death and REALLY didn't know what I was eating, that I would eat that. I actually don't think I could eat that, if I knew what it was; my gag reflex would be way too high.

Glad I didn't read this thread during lunch.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 09, 2010 03:02PM
"How many lights do you see?"

Date: February 09, 2010 03:07PM
You should have seen that clip...
Charred on one side, raw on the other, and still covered in... uh, it's former contents.
He definitely had the look of a man going to the gallows when they handed it to him!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 09, 2010 03:42PM
cbelt3
What, you didn't have a fine enough sifter ? That's what they're for, BTW. Sifting out da buggies.
Sifter? I'm one of those guys who has a kitchen where the cooking technology grinds to a halt at a set of Pyrex measuring cups. big grin smiley
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2010 04:04PM
Paul F.
You should have seen that clip...
Charred on one side, raw on the other, and still covered in... uh, it's former contents.
He definitely had the look of a man going to the gallows when they handed it to him!

Thank you, no. I am quite happy that I did not, and hopefully will never, see that clip. In the immortal words of Dr. Seuss, "I do not like them..."

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 09, 2010 04:29PM
I've had fried bugs (I think it was a beetle) at a street stand in Bangkok (crunchy), BBQ snake in South America and some other assorted weird things around the world, but at least I KNEW what I was eating at the time. However, I think I'll pass on crunchy things in my flapjacks. I think it's the "surprise factor" that grosses me out. You know that old joke about what's worse than finding a worm in your apple - half a worm.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: February 09, 2010 04:34PM
It shouldn't bother us, but it does.

I'm wondering if it's evolutionary that screams at us not to eat those small squirmy things?
Maybe because we've had our fill from the early primordial goo years?

3p
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2010 04:40PM

Yep, that was my thought.

I've seen it happen from time to time. And I think somebody here found some in their McCann's oatmeal.

If anybody has ever been In Country, you know that local queasine (new word) can be a matter of culture or nature. And sometimes your own food supply doesn't fare well in the indigenous environment, and you cut off the bad parts and hope for the best.

But since I'm here, home, and have a survivable level of income, I'd weigh the amount of debris vs. the desire for say- pancakes, and make it a case by case decision. My problem is I'd probably linger on whether the heat killed anything dangerous or if there was something deadly that didn't care a wit about cooking or boiling.

Consumer Reports once did a survey/review/test of orange juice, declaring Donald Duck brand the winner. Among it's many attributes, Few Bug Parts per Mouthful. (Or some similar unit of measure.)

A friend once had a desire for raisins and ate them by the box-loads, and not the tiny lunch sizes. One day he happened to look onto the box after eating for awhile and saw live maggots in the box.

He blew his lunch. He said it was deliberate; I said it was inevitable.

Look before you eat, then don't think about what *could* be.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 09, 2010 05:28PM
RAMd®d

Yep, that was my thought.
Could be, but I'm actually fairly watchful of such things. This I think, may have been 'factory installed'.

But since I'm here, home, and have a survivable level of income, I'd weigh the amount of debris vs. the desire for say- pancakes, and make it a case by case decision. My problem is I'd probably linger on whether the heat killed anything dangerous or if there was something deadly that didn't care a wit about cooking or boiling.
That was pretty much the calculation, along with a Do I Want to Schlep to the Store for More quotient. Not much and small what was there. After a couple of bowl to bowl pours looking for more surprises, I was up in the 95-98% range of being sure I'd found all the naughty bits. The other half was that this was the last of the box, so if there was anything in the other 3/4 of the box it probably went down the hatch a good time ago without my getting so much as a tummy rumble, let alone the bubonic crawling crud.

Look before you eat, then don't think about what *could* be.
My motto since I was just a youth and our dish cabinet suffered the Great Ant Invasion on 82nd Street. big grin smiley

Edit: A quirk in my own Gross Meter just occurred to me. Foodstuffs having even a slightly funky odor will have me dumping something in the bin much, much quicker than contamination will. My hierarchy seems to be Smell, Color, Foreign objects.

I stopped asking about the subject when my mother worked for the FDA for awhile and told me about documents like 'Parameters for Acceptable Limits of Glass Fragments in Bottled Sodas'. And to this day I don't think too hard about what's allowed to be in peanut butter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 05:40PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 09, 2010 05:32PM
Bugs aren't bad, high in protein. Roasted crickets make mean Taco.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 09, 2010 05:36PM
What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm?

Biting into an apple and finding half a worm. barf smiley
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 09, 2010 05:40PM
Weevils were really common in grains when I was growing up. We'd just pick them out and keep going. Unless the product was really infested. Then it got tossed. No one got grossed out.
Date: February 09, 2010 05:43PM
testcase

Biting into an apple and finding half a worm.
You're delivery is good, but richorlin's timing is better. big grin smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 05:44PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2010 07:45PM
Could be, but I'm actually fairly watchful of such things. This I think, may have been 'factory installed'.

I should have been clearer. I didn't think you have weevils milling around your domicile. I assumed that these were factory no-cost extras.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: February 09, 2010 08:41PM
Those aren't bugs, they're features!bunny smiley

Cheers!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 09, 2010 08:44PM
You can avoid this by keeping your mix in the fridge. Anything that hasn't been baked that contains flour. The bugs come from eggs that came in your product. Goes for rice and other grains, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 09, 2010 10:15PM
i'd like to party with Bourdain.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 09, 2010 10:31PM
testcase

Biting into an apple and finding half a worm. barf smiley

HaHa! That is what happened to me as a kid. I never eat a piece of fruit now, thirty years later, without examining the skin very, very closely!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020