advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need advice on Charity Trash Bags wife had sent to us from Southern Cal Wheelchair Veterans Assoc
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 15, 2010 05:05PM
Last October wife got a call, asking if they could send her some "DURABLE KITCHEN TRASHBAGS", and would I send a donation in return. The wife questioned them about the bags durability, and they assured her these were top notch bags.

In time the bags came, and they were set aside, and not needing the bags, they were not opened until during the busy Christmas Holidays. WHen we opened the box, and tried to fill with Christmas trash, it fell apart.

Started getting phone calls during the evening hours asking for payment, and I indicated that the bags were inferior, but lady just insisted on asking for payment.

Now I call these people at 951 609-9033 asking them where to send the bags back, and they said it has been longer than 30 days, and that they would settle for $20 instead of the original $47.95 for these 100 13 gallon trash bags.

Wife is saying "NO WAY, are we paying these people anything"

I researched a little and found one PDF, from attorney general that seems to indicate that they only give 9% of their collection to charity.

What should I do, only a P.O. Box number, so I cant send box back. Lady indicated that they would call, then send letter, then turn over to collection agency.

Suggestions?

Organization is:

Southern California Wheelchair Veterans Association
P.O. Box 459
Lake Elsinore, Ca. 92531-0459
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need advice on Charity Trash Bags wife had sent to us from Southern Cal Wheelchair Veterans Assoc
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 15, 2010 05:15PM
Settle for the $20 adjusted price. Next time check up on the charity before letting them send you the item. Ask them to give you a number or a website that you can donate to after you check them out.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 05:16PM by rgG.
Re: Need advice on Charity Trash Bags wife had sent to us from Southern Cal Wheelchair Veterans Assoc
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2010 05:19PM
that sucks, thanks for the warning.

Posted by: artie67
Date: February 15, 2010 05:24PM
Seems to be a "boiler room" operation in San Diego. We kept getting calls from "Left handed retired motorcycles police" and checked it out. There administrative costs were over 90% of donation. Here is the scoop...[www.ripoffreport.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 15, 2010 05:25PM
I dimly recall a simillar charity trash bag... they sucked.
Doubt it was the same group, but it sure sounds like they sourced their trash bags from the same place!

I'd send 'em $10 with a note explaining that they're lucky to get that much... the bags were NOT as advertised.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 15, 2010 05:36PM
Can a charity turn you over for collections if you don't send in a promised donation? Millions of people make pledges to charity walks, telethons and the like and never make good on them by actually sending in the money they promised.

Was there any literature that accompanied the bags that said you had 30 days to return them if not satisfied?

I guess that technically, they did SELL you something and you did not pay for it, but it seems odd they would send them to you without receiving some sort of payment first.

DM
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 15, 2010 06:04PM
That 9% to charity is only if the charity is lucky. They might not get anything. I knew people that worked this trash bag angle when I had my screen print shop. They rented space down the hall on the same floor I did. It was three people, 3 phones and a stack of Glad brand trash bags in what would pass for a small private office. They would call people and sell the bags for big money then one of them would deliver the bags to you and collect the cash. Then they would all laugh about what a great scam they had going and split the cash at the end of the week. The landlord ultimately asked them to move due to the complaints.

I would not give them a penny and tell them you are going to call your states Attorney General and report them for fraud. I'll bet they forget all about the bill.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: kap
Date: February 15, 2010 06:51PM
We used to get cold calls offering free gifts if we buy certain items at full costs. We politely declined few calls at first. They finally got my last nerve so I firmly instructed them to send me the Baby Grand Piano then and only then I would purchase their Miracle Vegetables Chopper! Never heard from them again. Ha!

Edit: It's a set of 4 appliances that would chop, slices, dice, etc.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 06:54PM by kap.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 15, 2010 06:55PM
Pay the $20, file a complaint with the AG and move on.

If a charity calls I always do two things:
1. Ask them what percentage goes to overhead
2. Tell them to mail me more info

If they don't know the answer to #1 and can't do #2 without me making a pledge, I say no. If they do both of those and I can look it up and verify the info, then I'll donate.

I used to do one of the local police officer things until I found out it wasn't an actual charity. Plus now we just changed state law so taxpayers pay for what they were doing anyway.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 15, 2010 07:39PM
NEVER, ever give anything to a charity that calls you on the phone. Most of these are run from "boiler rooms" and are very low percentage to the charity.

My pat reply is "we don't respond to phone solicitations", click.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 15, 2010 08:21PM
Why would you give a donation to an enterprise you're not satisfied with?

Throw away the trash bags and any mail they send you. Sleep soundly.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 15, 2010 08:48PM
If I happen to pick up a number I don't recognize by accident (only happens rarely), my standard line is, "I'm sorry, I don't conduct any business over the phone." If they keep going, I hang up.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 15, 2010 08:58PM
My standard reply is: "We don't accept these kind of calls at this number" in a kind of snotty way. If they hang up, no prob, but if I start to get the hard sell, I get really rude. And the longer they try, the ruder I get. It's kind of fun, actually.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Black
Date: February 15, 2010 10:11PM
I had a soliciting job when I was 14 or 15-- in retrospect I have no idea whether I was scamming people-- it was selling tickets to a Police Federation charity event.
The point is there's real people who may be just doing what they can to eek out a living on the other end of the phone-- no joy in behaving sadistically towards them.
The whole issue is moot for me since I stopped answering or taking messages on my home phone-- I only use it to fax out at this point.
Eventually the calls died down to almost nothing, with a flurry of activity around election time.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 16, 2010 02:42AM
Send the charity the 9% $4.32 and tell them that it should go directly to the charity.

I hate these scams, It sours people to legit charities.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 16, 2010 03:04AM
artie67
Here is the scoop...[www.ripoffreport.com]

Speaking of rip-offs, who designed that website?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 16, 2010 11:21AM
EVERYONE I don't know always get a "Thank you, I do all my charitable donation through the United Way, please call them."
I donate directly to the Girl Scouts (cooooookies !), Boy Scouts (Popcorn !) and my church (Cash). Everyone else can apply to the United Way for a grant.

If some petition-waving college kid comes to the door in the summer, he might get a bottle of water. If I disagree with his political views, he may 'pay' for the bottle of water with a short lecture. If he's intelligent, I may have a nice conversation with him. I always like it when they go away doubting their 'cause'.... big grin smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 16, 2010 12:38PM
Don't give them any donation.

Not a dime. Tell them you're contacting your local television consumer advocate and the state AG.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: slumpy
Date: June 04, 2010 10:09PM
I would not send them anything; by sending them even $1 you may send a signal that this kind of scam is acceptable. To inappropriately use veterans who are in dire need of wheelchairs as a basis to make money is immoral at the very least and should NOT be condoned. Please do not let this kind of behavior continue.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 14, 2010 07:57PM
My wife did something similar but gave the guy a check. I told her it was a scam and she should just live and learn. She was so upset that she was suckered. She did stop payment on the check is still upset a month later.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020