Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I installed the new thermostat and not furnace comes ON and OFF every 5 minutes
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 20, 2010 05:53PM
in reference to [forums.macresource.com]

I mentioned in that thread that the new thermostat seems way more sensible to temperature changes than the old one.

I installed it today, and noticed that the furnace comes ON and turns OFF way more often than before. The default setting was 4 cycles per hour, but I think it does 6 or even 7. I changed the default setting to 3 cycles per hour, if needed I can make it 2 cycles per hour, but I still would like to know why the heat comes ON and OFF so often, almost 6 times per hour, if the thing it set to 3 cycles per hour.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I installed the new thermostat and not furnace comes ON and OFF every 5 minutes
Posted by: H1N1
Date: February 20, 2010 06:00PM

okay, i give up, anyone own a space-time to human translator?
Re: I installed the new thermostat and not furnace comes ON and OFF every 5 minutes
Posted by: billb
Date: February 20, 2010 06:09PM
not = now the

I have a similar keybroad.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: February 20, 2010 06:11PM
Does it have a heat anticipator setting? Normally you look at the current draw of the gas or oil valve and set the anticipator to that value.

Fred Also
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 20, 2010 06:37PM
Did you buy a Honeywell?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 20, 2010 07:25PM
How can you set a furnace to cycle a certain number of times per hour? It should be coming
on when the temperature drops a certain amount to make it come on. Can you change the
temperature differential on the thermometer, in other words I have mine set to come when it
drops 1 degree below my set temp. and go off when goes 1 degree above the set temp. Mine
can be set to a differential as small as a 1/2 of one degree.

Grateful11
Date: February 20, 2010 07:29PM
billb
not = now the

yes, thanks!
Date: February 20, 2010 07:33PM
Grateful11
How can you set a furnace to cycle a certain number of times per hour? It should be coming
on when the temperature drops a certain amount to make it come on. Can you change the
temperature differential on the thermometer, in other words I have mine set to come when it
drops 1 degree below my set temp. and go off when goes 1 degree above the set temp. Mine
can be set to a differential as small as a 1/2 of one degree.

The thermostat has a setting for number of heating (and also cooling) cycler per hour. The default is 4. They recommend 2 for steam or gravity, 3 for high efficiency furnaces, and so on, all the way to 6 cycles per hour for electric systems.

I guess what this does is adjust the temperature differential so that the number of cycler per hour comes close to the set value. I think it takes a while for the thermostat to learn how fast the house heats up and how fast it cools down, and then adjust the T-min (when heat comes on) and T-max (when heat turns OFF). There is no temperature differential setting on this thermostat.

What model do you have?
Date: February 20, 2010 07:38PM
Mini 9
Did you buy a Honeywell?

yes, similar to this (except a white cover)

Link: [yourhome.honeywell.com]

PDF manual: [customer.honeywell.com]
Date: February 20, 2010 07:48PM
H1N1

I expected more from a virus like you. since you jumped from pigs to humans, I expect you should speak at least several non-human languages.
Posted by: H1N1
Date: February 21, 2010 12:02AM
space-time
H1N1

I expected more from a virus like you. since you jumped from pigs to humans, I expect you should speak at least several non-human languages.
your words fall like a gentle rain
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 21, 2010 05:43AM
space-time
billb
not = now the

yes, thanks!

Funny thing is, I read that as "now" and only when it was criticized did I see the typo. I guess I'm used to seeing my typos underlined in red. Others in this group have sharper eyes.

Bottom line - did anyone answer your question? I believe I recall a similar experience with a new digital thermostat I installed years ago and it did have a "learning curve" that took a few days as suggested.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2010 06:05AM
Shut the vent off in your son's room. He'll sleep better when he doesn't go from overheating to comfortable. The air coming through the open bedroom door will keep him warm.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 21, 2010 07:43AM
Speedy
Shut the vent off in your son's room. He'll sleep better when he doesn't go from overheating to comfortable. The air coming through the open bedroom door will keep him warm.

thanks for your concern.

With the first son 4 years ago, we had him in a bassinet in our room for the first 5-6 weeks, then we moved him to his own room and he slept alone ever since (sans a few occasional trip to the grandparents when he slept in the same room with us since it was a new place for him).

Now with the second son the plan is to put both boys in the same room as soon as the little one wakes up only 2-3 times per night. Since now he wakes up way more often than that, we still have him in our room, which is probably also a big mistake, but I have no other place to put him. We do have a fully finished attic which is in fact a 3rd bedroom, but I don't want to climb stairs in the middle of the night.

We could maybe move the 4 year old in the attic and put the little one in the second bedroom on the same level with our bedroom.

but this thread was supposed to be about thermostats, not about kids. Once again, I really appreciate your advice Speedy!
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 21, 2010 08:13AM
space-time
but this thread was supposed to be about thermostats, not about kids.

Yeah, and we always stay on topic here. wink smiley
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 22, 2010 07:08AM
I would buy another same unit, and see if it behaves same or different. If you don't like that behavior, try a different model/brand.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 22, 2010 01:11PM
you could have a defective thermostat (yeah, brand new)

there may be some adjustment screws or dip switches for cycle times / temperature rise and falls/ heater types.

maybe make adjustments remove battery and put battery back in for a reset ?

(I've only read the instructions and been glad I didn't have gas/ hot air ) :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020