advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yes! Tuitert wins gold
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 20, 2010 08:11PM
Great Victory for the Netherlands. Shani Davis just didn't have it today and had to settle for an unexpected silver.
You may have seen me inside the Richmond Oval; I was the one in orange.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yes! Tuitert wins gold
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 20, 2010 08:20PM
For those who are following the Olympics, you might have wanted to have had a spoiler alert.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 20, 2010 09:13PM
Second spoiler alert!!!
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: February 20, 2010 11:52PM
So now Twitter is an Olympic athlete?

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 21, 2010 02:09AM
Buck

I did see you! That's quite a journey all the way from Holland, no?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 21, 2010 08:39AM
freeradical
For those who are following the Olympics, you might have wanted to have had a spoiler alert.

So what you're saying is "It didn't happen until it is televised on a major network"?

Some of us are following the Olympics a bit more closely than by primetime hours.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: February 21, 2010 09:07AM
I think what freeradical is saying is that people should remember to avoid spoilers in the thread title. This comes up regularly with sports, and should just be basic courtesy, even when excited and flush with your team's victory.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 21, 2010 10:35AM
Ditto what those guys said. Spoilers in thread titles are always bad forum etiquette.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2010 11:29AM
i guess people really into the olympics avoid radio, television news, internet sites and talking to anyone in casual conversation during the olympics? wow, i had no idea. i think if you want to live that sort of li(f)e you should probably not be logging onto the internets.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 21, 2010 12:00PM
mrbigstuff
i guess people really into the olympics avoid radio, television news, internet sites and talking to anyone in casual conversation during the olympics? wow, i had no idea. i think if you want to live that sort of li(f)e you should probably not be logging onto the internets.
Not at all. It's been markedly easy. There are exceptions, of course, but most people, including most in those areas you mentioned, seem to have little trouble exercising this simple bit of courtesy, All the media outlets I've been listening to give 'spoiler alerts' before giving results for events that haven't been broadcast yet. All I've had to avoid are outlets whose very purpose is to discuss sports; I wouldn't really expect them to hesitate giving results.

But then I've always been of a mind that while for some it's just a matter of getting swept up in their enthusiasm, many, if not most, people who post flagrant spoilers do so out of a rather sad need on some level or the other for attention.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 21, 2010 06:43PM
I totally see the point for things like TV shows and movies. There is no expectation of knowing the outcome of those events ahead of time. So if someone puts a spoiler alert up for us Losties on the left coast, that's a good thing. It would be unlikely that I would accidentally run across that news on TV, radio or the internet.

But when it comes to a sporting event, which is news, I entirely expect that information to be broadcast on the news, radio, newspapers and online before the event is broadcast in primetime. If I want to avoid knowing the outcome, then I bear the responsibility for avoiding sources, wearing earplugs, etc.

And when it comes to real news, then you understand the logic. Would you expect that someone should withhold the news of a train wreck in your neighborhood until it can be broadcast on the 6pm news? I think not.....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2010 06:49PM
Markintosh, thank you. I completely agree with films, television shows, novels, etc. Anything that is meant to be more than a one-time event deserves some expectation of surprise and portent. Yes, the Olympics is a sporting event and that is a singular event, a news story.

Frankly, the DVR crowd is now dictating what is and is not happening in real time and that makes me nauseous.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 21, 2010 08:42PM
Article Accelerator
Buck

I did see you! That's quite a journey all the way from Holland, no?

Yes it is and there are hundreds who made the journey. As for me, I can drive to the Olympic Oval in about an hour. Then you need to find a parking spot and walk another hour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020