advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.18 ( -1.57 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any utilities that will combine/merge unique files from multiple drives onto one?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: February 25, 2010 10:06PM
I would like to consolidate multiple disks' unique files onto one large drive.
Is there a utility that will scan all the drives for unique filenames, and copy the most recent one to one destination drive? While keeping similarly named/hierarchy in place?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any utilities that will combine/merge unique files from multiple drives onto one?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 25, 2010 10:13PM
Automator.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Any utilities that will combine/merge unique files from multiple drives onto one?
Date: February 25, 2010 10:15PM
don't make me break out the recursion area of my brain. Please, just don't.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 25, 2010 10:23PM
Would you trust it if there was? I wouldn't.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: February 25, 2010 11:24PM
Matching on file names is a bad idea.
Any utility that would do something like this would be checking hashes.
There are likely shell|perl|python scripts floating around that do just this sort of thing.
Or search over at macosxhints.com.

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 26, 2010 12:44AM
Aren't there programs that at least do a comparison of drives or folders? I'm pretty sure wordstar for dos had a utility that did this. There must be something in this more advanced age. kj.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 26, 2010 06:06AM
I am about to do the same, I plan to combine data from several smaller drives into a 1 TB drive, and some data is unique, some data overlaps, what is the best way to manage this task?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 26, 2010 07:17AM
I'm not going to spend the time to see if it works, but File Buddy has a "check for unique files" menu choice. I believe it would work for you, for example, by checking drives 1 and 2 and copying the unique files found on drive 2 to drive 1, then checking drives 1 and 3 and copying the unique files on drive 3 to drive 1, etc.

Date: February 26, 2010 05:39PM
2006 last update?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 26, 2010 09:05PM
I've used it since it was introduced as shareware waaaay back when and I'm disappointed it seems not to be really supported any more (I sent an email and never got a response) but it works on SL (other than the contextual menus that I liked).

Date: February 26, 2010 09:31PM
Evidently there is a program installed with the developer tools called "file merge". I'm checking out some of the programs mentioned on this page, as I write:

[superuser.com]

We'll see. kj.
Date: February 26, 2010 09:41PM
Toast has a utility (utility menu) that compares folders. kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login