advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vonage areU Using it >???
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 26, 2006 06:20PM
I signed up for a free ??? 30 day Trial .

Your feed back is appreciated.
TIA haikuman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vonage areU Using it >???
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: April 26, 2006 06:38PM
I have a friend that swears by Vonge, has had it a year. He's not real close by, still Comcast but a different sub region.

I was quizzing him again about the reports of Comcast messing with Vonages calls since Comcast now offers VOIP (at about 2x the price). He says he's seen no problems of late but I'm still on the fence about jumping myself.

The claim is after 10 or 20 minutes into a call (using Vonage over Comcast) there is a high rate of dropped calls.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 26, 2006 08:19PM
I am using Time Warper Road Runner
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 26, 2006 08:45PM
I set up my own Asterisk phone server and I use TelaSIP to provide VoIP. If you have an old PC sitting around doing nothing this is a good use for it. The requirements are pretty low: 500Mhz w/ 256 MB RAM will easily handle the phone needs of a family of 4. The TelaSIP VoIP express package is about $5/month and includes 400-600 minutes of long distance and unlimited incoming calls. I don't exact details, but that's close. The Asterisk@home project will allow you to burn a CD from an ISO file that includes CentOS Linux, Asterisk, SugarCRM, FreePBX, A2Billing (issue your own calling cards!!) and some other treats like voicemail and a fax server. Details are below. The latest version of Asterisk@Home is 2.8. If you have already set up an account with a VoIP provider you can be up and running in about 1 hour.

[asteriskathome.sourceforge.net]
[www.telasip.com]
[nerdvittles.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 08:49PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: April 26, 2006 09:53PM
I'm on Voicepulse, which is a lot like Vonage except there's no "real" 911 and it's a lot cheaper.

I've been really happy with it.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: shadow
Date: April 27, 2006 06:45AM
chas_m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm on Voicepulse, which is a lot like Vonage
> except there's no "real" 911 and it's a lot
> cheaper.

Although unannounced, most VP users now have E911.

About a month ago, I have verified that 911 goes to the proper county dispatch center and that the information that comes up on their screen is correct.

- Shadow
Posted by: volcs0
Date: April 27, 2006 08:03AM
We've had Vonage for about a year. My observations...

1. When is works, it works pretty well. Most of the time, I don't even think about it.

2. Their customer service is awful. I've had two minor issues, and I entered questions into their support system, and no one ever responded.

3. I may be imaginging things, but I feel like there has been a degradation in quality over the past month. Several times, I've had to tell people I would call them back on the cell phone. Maybe it is Comcast... probably not.

4. If you plug the Vonage box into one of your home phone jacks, all the phones in your house will be on the Vonage circuit. Before you do this, you need to make sure that there is absolutely no other power coming to your phone circuitry. If you screw this up, you will fry your Vonage box.

All in all, we're pleased. We pay $16/month for the 500 minute plan, and we have had few problems.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 27, 2006 08:18AM
I have it and for the most part it works well. Some glitches once in a while, but not yet worth changing to a different VoIP.

Not as trouble-free as my land line was, and can be subject to ISP changes as well as Vonage changes.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 27, 2006 09:26AM
I also have Voicepulse (two years now) and am very happy with it. It works and sounds like a regular phone line. I had two minor issues and a real person answered the service phone, even more surprising he spoke unaccented English and solved the issue politely and quickly.

I have friends with Vonage that curse them constantly but won't switch.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: April 27, 2006 10:01AM
I tried signing up for Vonage service. The website would not work for three days. I called customer service - India or Pakistan - the first call I could not understand the foreign accent, the second call customer support spoke very clearly but could not hear me at all, the third call I could barely hear them. I asked if they were using Vonage lines. The embarrassed customer rep explained that they were expanding and contracted out their phone service to someone else, but offered to sign me up. Of course, none of the offers for free months of service apply when you sign up by phone.

Three strikes and they are out, I'm definitely not using Vonage.
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 27, 2006 10:51AM
I have SunRocket which is like Vonage only a lot cheaper. I love it, never had a problem.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 27, 2006 11:24AM
A vote here for Sunrocket. I looked into Vonage pretty seriously, even read the fine print of their agreement. It is somewhat of a scary read. They have relatively punitive fees for cancelling your service and they have "activation" fees that are not part of Sunrocket's service. Their customer service is pitiful. I signed up for the yearly agreement with Sunrocket, smooth sailing so far, easy to set up and works well. I have a local number, it can be listed in the phone book and I have 911 service. I am using my regular Panasonic cordless phone with 3 handsets. Good sound quality.

My advice, skip Vonage and their underhanded fees and go with a more progressive choice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Cary , DP , WHiiP
Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018