The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $98.57 ( -0.44 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
paging Plumbking: shower head pipe thread repair
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 20, 2010 10:07AM
Hi,

This is my karma, every little simple project turns into something uglier.

This morning I wanted to install a new shower head and I removed the old one, cleaned the shower head extension arm (the pipe that comes form the wall), applier new teflon tape (3 turns) and screwed in the new shower. It still leaked. I took it out, cleaned it all again, put 4 layers of teflon tape and tried again, this time I used a wrench to tighten it a little better (according to the instructions that came with it).

It still leaked slightly. I could have left it as it is, but that's not my nature to stop until something is perfect.

So I took it out again, and discovered that the thread is slightly ripped (only the first turn or so near the end of the pipe. This damaged the rubber gasket in the shower-head (I may be able to buy a new gasket, or just use one from the old shower-head). But now it won't seal since the pipe is no longer cut straight, like I said, when the thread ripped, that created a small dent in the end of the pipe and it's not going to seal. I won't even try.

So now I am looking at the possibility to repair the thread (I need a die?) and cut 1/8" or so to make the pipe flat again, or just replace the entire shower head extension pipe. The latter solution scares me since I would have to use teflon tape again and this time it's in the wall and if it starts leaking at some point I am going to see spots on the ceiling in the living-room, which would get me a divorce (almost).

A while ago I asked at home depot if they sell a tool to repair the shower head pipe thread, and they told me to just buy a new pipe.

How do I proceed next? luckily we have another bathroom that we use until I fix this one, so I am not in a hurry. I can wait till Monday if I really have to call a plumber.

any advice appreciated. Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: paging Plumbking: shower head pipe thread repair
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 20, 2010 10:34AM
and they told me to just buy a new pipe.

That would be the SOP.

The only problem is if the plumbing is old, you might damage the joint behind the wall.

But ordinarily, a 3-4-$5 pipe is the simplest way to go.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 20, 2010 10:34AM
I don't see any other choices besides cutting the end of the pipe square again with a hack saw and or file it down to eliminate the chipped out piece of pipe (shouldn't need a thread die)
or
replace the pipe.

You know how to shut the water off with a long rod in the street , right ?
Just kidding.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 20, 2010 01:06PM
billb
...file it down to eliminate the chipped out piece of pipe...

That'd be my first go-to...before any cutting. Probably wouldn't work, but it'd be the easiest to try first. Also, what's the stuff some plumbers use instead of tape? Pipe dope? Might work better enough than the tape.

First google hit: [www.diychatroom.com]
In a quick scan, there was one suggestion that mentioned using both at the same time.
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: March 22, 2010 12:56PM
Two or three times round with teflon tape. Hand tight the head and then do an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a wrench. Sounds like you rubber washer is not making contact with the shower arm. Try doubling up on the washers or if you feel comfortable tightening the head even more.

Don't even think about cutting a new thread. If you want to you can buy a new shower arm. Way easier and cheaper. If you go that route PM me and I'll tell you how to replace the arm with no wrench marks.

Remember that joint is not under constant pressure. Only when in use and then it drips into the tub. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy trying to make it perfect.

Good Luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login