advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When routers go bad...
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 09, 2010 10:29PM
Can they fail like mine does? For the last week or so, at random times, when I type in a URL (or just reload the current one), it sometimes takes a very long time at "looking up" the webpage, and usual ends up at dnssearch.rr.com (TimeWarner's page) which states it cannot find the requested URL. After repeatedly clicking to reload, it eventually goes to the requested webpage. I thought it was some problem with TimeWarner's dns servers, so I called them to complain. Yet when I removed my Buffalo Airstation G54 router (wired connection, wireless is always turned off) from the set-up, I was not able to replicate the problem. Can a router fail in this manner? The router is about 3-4 years old.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When routers go bad...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 09, 2010 10:38PM
Do you have 2 routers?
Is the TW box just a modem and not a router?

Does it look like it was a TW page, or maybe a default page inside the modem?

It really sounds like a DNS issue to me
in network preferences enter another DNS
Date: April 09, 2010 11:28PM
I have only one router. The TW box is just a modem. The page really does look like an authentic Roadrunner page complete with their icon and suggested alternate URLs, one of which is the one I originally requested of course (no misspelling on my part). Interestingly, there is no dns number listed in the network settings. Never was AFAIK. I'll re-connect the router and try those numbers. Thank you.
Posted by: Doc
Date: April 09, 2010 11:38PM
Set the DNS server info manually in your Mac's Network settings.

Then you don't have to rely upon the bad data that your router has cached from when Time Warner screwed it up.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 10, 2010 12:30AM
You should also be able to set the DNS server info manually in the router, if you want it to be used for all computers connected via the router.

P.S. Sounds like DNS problem to me, too.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 12:30AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: April 10, 2010 01:22AM
There was also a change recently (in 10.6.3) in how DNS is handled in Snow Leopard.

[reviews.cnet.com]

I know you said when you took the router out of the setup you were not able to replicate the problem... but I was just wondering (if you had recently updated your OS) whether the new config was also complicating things.
Date: April 10, 2010 07:07AM
Thanks for everyone's responses. I am on a G4 running 10.4.11. I have put 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 into Networking Settings on the Mac, and without the router in the mix all webpages are loading smooth and fast. I am now putting the router back in, and will search for the router's DNS settings to input the same DNS server numbers, and test it all day. It shouldn't make a difference that both the Mac preferences and the router preferences have DNS server numbers, right? Just redundant, but won't conflict?

I never knew routers have cache files. I knew long ago that TW can be problematic. But it's either them or dial-up. Bad phone lines prevent DSL, and local monopolies prevent any other competition.
Date: April 10, 2010 01:02PM
neophyte
It shouldn't make a difference that both the Mac preferences and the router preferences have DNS server numbers, right? Just redundant, but won't conflict?

Not sure, but if they each have different numbers I'd think that could cause problems.

It is what it is.
Date: April 10, 2010 01:44PM
N-OS X-tasy!
neophyte
It shouldn't make a difference that both the Mac preferences and the router preferences have DNS server numbers, right? Just redundant, but won't conflict?

Not sure, but if they each have different numbers I'd think that could cause problems.

No. They won't conflict.

With DNS addresses manually listed in both the Mac's preferences and the router's setup, the Mac will ordinarily use the DNS addresses listed in its own pref's (trying each in order) and ignore what's listed on the router.
Date: April 10, 2010 03:28PM
Doc
N-OS X-tasy!
neophyte

No. They won't conflict.

With DNS addresses manually listed in both the Mac's preferences and the router's setup, the Mac will ordinarily use the DNS addresses listed in its own pref's (trying each in order) and ignore what's listed on the router.

The Mac may indeed do that, but why wouldn't the router DNS settings attempt to override?

It is what it is.
Date: April 10, 2010 06:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
The Mac may indeed do that, but why wouldn't the router DNS settings attempt to override?

No. It simply delivers the information via DHCP when it's requested to do so or forwards the queries when it is used, itself, as a DNS server.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020