advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My chat with Comcast about my internet speed.
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: April 28, 2010 05:55PM
So I do an online chat about my internet speed because since I signed up over a year ago I've been getting 30Mbps and now I'm only getting 10. Long story short the tech lady told me that I've always had the 10Mbps package and the highest speed package in my area is 16Mbps.

How can this be? I can't prove to them I've been getting 30Mbps but I have until now. Sucks for me I guess.

Oh well

Jerry

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My chat with Comcast about my internet speed.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 28, 2010 06:12PM
That is still 10x's faster than my connection so don't complain.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: April 28, 2010 06:14PM
ztirffritz

Not my problem you don't have high speed internet. So I will complain all I want.

Posted by: timg
Date: April 28, 2010 06:27PM
Jerry®
ztirffritz

Not my problem you don't have high speed internet. So I will complain all I want.

Go ahead and complain all you want. Just don't expect anyone to actually feel sorry for you ...

oh, wait ... you've got that covered already, don't you?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 28, 2010 06:28PM
You can complain if you want, but if you're buying a 10mbps service and getting 10, then you probably shouldn't expect too much sympathy. I know I've always been told that the provider is guaranteeing you'll get what you're paying for, but that doesn't mean you'll never get something higher. If you drop to 8mbps, then you get to call and complain.
Date: April 28, 2010 06:58PM
AlphaDog
You can complain if you want, but if you're buying a 10mbps service and getting 10, then you probably shouldn't expect too much sympathy. I know I've always been told that the provider is guaranteeing you'll get what you're paying for, but that doesn't mean you'll never get something higher. If you drop to 8mbps, then you get to call and complain.

Sorry I wasn't meaning to ask for sympathy votes - just was curious as to why I had gotten 30Mbps for a whole year before they dropped it down.

Date: April 28, 2010 06:59PM
timg
Jerry®
ztirffritz

Go ahead and complain all you want. Just don't expect anyone to actually feel sorry for you ...

Aww boo hoo - someone's upset he doesn't have high speed internet. Awwwwww. Now who's wanting sympathy you troll.

Date: April 28, 2010 07:12PM
I do have high-speed internet....just not 30Mbs! That's INSANE-speed internet. Only an idiot would browse at that speed.

Date: April 28, 2010 07:13PM
Jerry®
timg
Jerry®
ztirffritz

Aww boo hoo - someone's upset he doesn't have high speed internet. Awwwwww. Now who's wanting sympathy you troll.

Boy, you are really living in an alternate reality, aren't you?

Did I say I didn't have high speed internet?

Did I say I wanted sympathy?

All I did was point out that you were feeling sorry for yourself and that you shouldn't expect anyone else to.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 28, 2010 07:20PM
Man, you guys are being rough on Jerry...(^_^)
Date: April 28, 2010 07:24PM
Carnos Jax
Man, you guys are being rough on Jerry...(^_^)

I just pointed out he was being whiny like usual and he called me a troll.

Sorry, you call me a troll, and I gotta drop the gloves. (hockey reference for you non-hockey fans).
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 28, 2010 07:44PM
Jerry®
AlphaDog

Sorry I wasn't meaning to ask for sympathy votes - just was curious as to why I had gotten 30Mbps for a whole year before they dropped it down.
Comcast has a business grade service that is very fast. I think they billit as up to either 30 or 50 megs. They may have accidentally had you in the computer that way.

"Internet Basics

* Downloads up to 50Mbps, uploads up to 10Mbps
* Internet speeds up to 15 times faster than DSL and 20 times faster than a T1"
Posted by: Winston
Date: April 28, 2010 07:45PM
Responses in threads like most of those here make me want to leave the forum.

If I had to guess, since cable internet is (or historically has been) shared bandwidth, the cable company had put in a larger than needed line in anticipation of new hookups, like a new subdivision or something. Whatever they planned to hook up finally came on line, dropping the service speed.

I think it's interesting that anyone had 30 Mbps speed in a residential setting. Shows what the internet providers could do if they wanted to.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: April 28, 2010 07:53PM
I have a business phone for my home business. So when fios came I told them to give me the business fios. I now have business phone and fios business (25/25) at home. And I am paying $65 a month less than regular business phone and RoadRunner cable internet.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 28, 2010 07:57PM
Comcast has had Powerboost™ for a long time. Basically, it gives you more than your provisioned speed for the first several megs of a download or upload if the bandwidth is available.

Maybe that extra bandwidth is no longer available.

Another possibility is your account was provisioned incorrectly and you either had the wrong limit or no limit placed on your line. Now that error has been corrected.

Date: April 28, 2010 08:01PM
I think that's what the (Ignore this user) button was created for!

Winston
Responses in threads like most of those here make me want to leave the forum.

If I had to guess, since cable internet is (or historically has been) shared bandwidth, the cable company had put in a larger than needed line in anticipation of new hookups, like a new subdivision or something. Whatever they planned to hook up finally came on line, dropping the service speed.

I think it's interesting that anyone had 30 Mbps speed in a residential setting. Shows what the internet providers could do if they wanted to.

Good luck.

- Winston
Date: April 28, 2010 08:08PM
itsmylittlebrothersbike
I think that's what the (Ignore this user) button was created for!

The button doesn't actually ignore users. It just hides their posts, but shows their username and place for the post in-line in a thread.

I'd rather people were civil and respectful.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 28, 2010 08:17PM
Sacramento Comcast, I just got 25. Usually 15-25 but I was at a clients and her residential Comcast was 50 consistently.

Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: April 28, 2010 08:55PM
I can say Comcast is very decent in my area. Since moving here 7+ years ago my internet speed has gone from about 15-16 to this:

I'm not complaining - I'm paying for it and using it ;)

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: April 28, 2010 09:11PM
My son would be ecstatic if we got speeds like that for our internet. But he's away at college and we don't really need faster than the 3.0 Mbps DSL we have now. The advertised cable speeds in our area are faster than our DSL, but not eight to twelve times faster.

The place I'd really like faster speeds is for uploading photos during my younger son's swim team season in the summer. But I run that overnight, so it wouldn't matter to us much.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: dochocson
Date: April 28, 2010 09:24PM
Seattle Children's Hospital WiFi network for families:

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 28, 2010 09:58PM
I am personallt amazed that Comcast just didn't bill you for the year of "ultra high speed" interwebs.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 29, 2010 12:35AM
And you probably pay less than I do... and get faster upload speed than I do too....

Posted by: IronMac
Date: April 29, 2010 02:09AM
AllGold
Comcast has had Powerboost™ for a long time. Basically, it gives you more than your provisioned speed for the first several megs of a download or upload if the bandwidth is available.

Maybe that extra bandwidth is no longer available.

Another possibility is your account was provisioned incorrectly and you either had the wrong limit or no limit placed on your line. Now that error has been corrected.

Best answer here. I had 5 Mbps on my USB stick modem for a couple of weeks before the service provider dumped me down to the 3 Mbps that I was paying for.
Posted by: gabester
Date: April 29, 2010 06:53AM
Surprised to discover that my 2Mbps down cable connection is 1Mbps up!
So yeah, I'd take 30Mbps down, but only if it didn't cost more than my current service.
g=
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 29, 2010 07:08AM
Jerry

That 30 you have been getting is the Comcast Power Boost on your speed tests. It always exaggerates your true speed.

As long as you get speed tests that show more than you pay for, don't complain. Chances are you are getting what you pay for during long downloads (big files) unless during heavy traffic times.

You should be worrying about normal usage changes, not the disparity between prior and current speed tests.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 29, 2010 12:06PM
Hee hee, with numbers like this at work it's faster for me to drive here and download than do it at home:

Date: April 29, 2010 12:28PM
Wow...

Posted by: billb
Date: April 29, 2010 01:25PM
Jerry®
So I do an online chat about my internet speed because since I signed up over a year ago I've been getting 30Mbps and now I'm only getting 10. Long story short the tech lady told me that I've always had the 10Mbps package and the highest speed package in my area is 16Mbps.

How can this be? I can't prove to them I've been getting 30Mbps but I have until now. Sucks for me I guess.

Oh well

Jerry

A not happy I was ever a Comcast customer.

I'd be afraid they'd send me a updated bill. :-)
I wouldn't pay it, but still ....

I haven't read one of their ads for a long while, but they used to word services as up to anytime discussing speed numbers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020