advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much for an unlocked iPhone these days and
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 28, 2010 05:59PM
is t mobile prepaid service fast, good, functional with an iphone?

can get a samsung moment with unlimited text data and mobile to mobile with 500 minutes for around $55 with my loyalty discounts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much for an unlocked iPhone these days and
Posted by: Winston
Date: April 28, 2010 07:52PM
The problem with T-Mobile is that you cannot get 3g speed. T-Mobile's 3g network uses a different set of frequencies from AT&T, not supported on the iPhone. An unlocked iPhone will work on T-Mobile at EDGE speeds. Even if it were compatible, T-Mobile's faster network buildout is behind even AT&T's.

Also, I doubt that data rates on T- Mobile prepaid are reasonable. You'd want a monthly plan which covered unlimited data use. Or were you comparing it to a $55 monthly plan you have now?

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 28, 2010 09:00PM
I thought T-Mobile prepaid still doesn't have data. Even More Plus is what you want. As mentioned, there is no 3G support for T-Mobile's frequencies.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 09:52PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 28, 2010 10:04PM
At this point, I would wait until June or July for the next revision of the iPhone to hit the market, which should push prices down on previous iPhones.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 28, 2010 10:15PM
I think my plan rate is going to be hard to beat for unlimited mobile and data/text, even just mobile. ATT plans are outrageous for limited N&W minutes as well as the rest. Mobile only within their network.

I have been very happy with Sprint coverage, etc. Been with them for 8-10 years or so.

The cost of the phone is a consideration and the Moment/Android offering to me is $99 and a contract to qualify for my discounts and plan change.

A plan rate of $90+ really adds up to a lot of cash over a years time and even more over several.

Maybe Sprint will get a 4g iPhone in the near future.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 29, 2010 06:12PM
I have a first gen iPhone that I got from my dad. I unlocked it, and use it with T-Mobile.

I have the cheapest plan I could get (as far as I could figure--they don't make it easy to figure out).

I have 500/min/month. Free nights and weekends. Unlimited Data. NO Texting (saves me $5/month).

My bill with all taxes and fees is about $62/month. I pay month to month (it is charged to my credit card automatically which saves, I believe, another $5/month).

I had a Treo 700p with Sprint for 3 1/2 years, and was always very happy with them. But I really wanted to use an iPhone (I'd had it for almost a year before I finally unlocked it), and my Treo wasn't playing nicely with my 64 bit Windows 7 PC at work. But I didn't want to be locked into a 2 year contract, and I didn't want to pay much more than I was paying Sprint for my 200 minutes/month and unlimited data, which was about $55/month with fees and taxes.

The data speed *is* definitely slower than what I had with Sprint, and certainly slower than 3G from AT&T, but I have been okay with it. Mostly what I use the data for when out and about is low enough bandwidth, that I don't mind the slower speed too much. I have wifi at home where I do any heavy downloading I need to do.

I do with it had GPS, but the wifi/cell tower triangulation thing is pretty damn accurate. I was standing out in front of a house a few doors down from me here in Philly, and it pinpointed me to literally exactly where I was standing. Amazing!

Let me know if you have any questions about my T-Mobile plan. I know I had trouble figuring out what plan to get, and couldn't ever seem to find anyone who could actually tell me what they had.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020