advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
? about Verizon Mobile Broadband
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 04, 2010 09:58AM
So my mom is at it again. Dial up is driving her bat nuts crazy. She is going to try the mobile broadband again. My question is firstly, does anyone else have it here? And secondly, would she be better served with getting the USB doohickey (Verizon Wireless USB760 Modem) or the mobile hotspot doohickey (MiFi™2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot). The only difference is $40. Plus the hotspot lets you connect multiple computers. I would think the main advantage of the hotspot (for my mom) would be not having the USB thingie sticking out of her computer all the time.

Re: ? about Verizon Mobile Broadband
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 04, 2010 10:11AM
I have an older USN VZW modem and have been very happy with it.
I just set up s friend who went from dial up to the modem you mention and he is also very happy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Date: May 04, 2010 10:15AM
I'm guessing on a Mac? Was it difficult to set it up in OSX?

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: May 04, 2010 10:19AM
My Dad has been using a VZ MiFi for about a year and loves it. He is an RVer and it has worked well during his travels. He is 65 and not much of a techie but the MiFi is one of those devices that just works. It has on occasion acted up but he knows how to reboot it (just hold the power key) and he is up and running again. He keeps it plugged into the AC adapter and that way wireless devices (Win XP laptop, iPhone and HP Dreamscreen) all have access when needed.
Posted by: Buck
Date: May 04, 2010 10:22AM
Isn't it cheaper per month for tethering? As long as you have a capable phone that it. I am considering it with my blackberry and MBP.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 04, 2010 11:45AM
OSX Tiger.
easy set up.

The VZW software install is simple and self contained.
One word of alert, the install is fast, like under a minute, but there is a secondary window that pops up behind the install. It isn't quite as visible as it should be.

And actually, I like VZW software better then using the OS Network Prefs.
It takes a few more secs to recognize the modem, but it always does.
The USB760 you spoke of has the install embedded in it.
I skipped that and dl'ed the latest version to be safe.

And very important, make sure you walk away from VZ with the number for your modem.
There are few Mac savvy types at VZW I've found.

Tethering is cheaper, but if you need both a phone and a modem simultaneously ..........
Make sure your OSX is up to date with Security and Java type stuff and run DU after all are in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 11:46AM by Fritz.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 04, 2010 12:19PM
Actually tethering for internet access on your computer via your VZW phone is not cheaper unless you already have a data feature on the phone you intend to tether. Dedicated internet access for your computer (via one of the above mentioned USB modems) is $59.99 per month. For tethering cost, take what you pay for data on your phone and subtract it from $54.99 (not a misprint) and that's what tethering will cost you per month. Unless you have an Android phone. Then its free with the appropriate app.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 04, 2010 02:15PM
Does Clear have coverage in her area? It's 4g, much faster and no data cap. VW has a 5 gig limit.
Date: May 04, 2010 03:52PM
nope. already looked it up. she has nothing in her area.

Posted by: neophyte
Date: May 04, 2010 06:32PM
VZW does not have a data cap. They charge $59.99 for the first 5 GB of data. No restrictions (speed or otherwise) beyond that. Just costs 5 cents per MB thereafter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020