advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Format a new hard drive?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 04, 2010 10:10AM
my brother is putting a new Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II into my son's iMac 2.66 but is leaving everything else up to me.

will i need to format the drive before installing Leopard?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Format a new hard drive?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 04, 2010 10:12AM
Yes---Disk Utility>Partition>1 partition>Options>GUID
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 04, 2010 10:13AM
I believe so. Open Disk Utility with it connected and it should give you some options. HFS+, journaled, etc. Someone else more knowledgeable can tell you which one to pick. IIRC, you want HFS+. Just a guess.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 04, 2010 10:15AM
If it was new, no need to write zeros, but if it had something on it, spend the time to write a single set
of zeros to it before install. Otherwise - I echo the above. You MIGHT consider leaving a 20 or 30GB partition to install a basic OS and DiskWarrior, etc. I've saved my own ass many times with that, and
it lets you repair without hunting DVDs and the slow start-up with DVDs. On my 320GB in the MacBook
I have a 20GB offset (which is about 10GB too small, really) so that I can even use it to test software before
going to the BIG drive. Why? Because I can always reinstall the OS and wipe that partition clean with zeros
in literally a few minutes because it is so small compared to entire drive.
Date: May 04, 2010 10:17AM
Your choices are for HFS+ ---- which IS the GUID partition.

btw... that should be a decent drive for that computer. 16MB is like the min for cache these days, and
that is a key to speeding up a drive more than RPMs in 2010.
Date: May 04, 2010 10:22AM
Jimmypoo
You MIGHT consider leaving a 20 or 30GB partition to install a basic OS and DiskWarrior, etc. I've saved my own ass many times with that, and
it lets you repair without hunting DVDs and the slow start-up with DVDs.

would doing this in any way affect being able to make a boot camp partition for windows? also, this is Leopard, not Snow. how large is the OS for Leo?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 10:24AM by graylocks.
Date: May 04, 2010 10:34AM
Allow yourself, even for an install that has NOTHING else but the basics, about 11GB for the install.
It's gonna load stuff you don't "need" on the spare partition regardless. So with 500GB, you can easily spare 30-35 for a repair booting partition.

And no ---- Bootcamp works around whatever you have on the drive, and returns the space to the drive
itself if you decide to delete the bootcamp partition.

I'd like to be able to make BootCamp partitions and install OS X on them! When I'm done, I'd just delete the
entire partition, and that would be that! But can't - so permit yourself the extravagance of two partitions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 10:36AM by Jimmypoo.
Date: May 04, 2010 10:39AM
Jimmypoo
Allow yourself, even for an install that has NOTHING else but the basics, about 11GB for the install.
It's gonna load stuff you don't "need" on the spare partition regardless. So with 500GB, you can easily spare 30-35 for a repair booting partition.

including space for Disk Warrior?

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 04, 2010 11:15AM
Hey, careful with this stuff!!!

I don't recall which iMac models are affected, but some are compatible only with certain brands and models of hard drives.

Here's a link from our sponsors:

[blog.macsales.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 04, 2010 11:17AM
DiskWarrior is fairly small, it'll fit no problem.

I used around 10-12G for a Rescue partition, tossed some of the apps, installed no extra languages or print drivers.

The main partition had all the apps, but still no extra languages or print drives. (I may be leaving something out.) This makes for a pretty small OS footprint. I also install X-11 since some apps (like OnyX?) need it.

But two partitions are *very* handy for maintenance or Rescue (if there's a software problem) as you can boot into your Rescue partition, run DW, restart, and be into your main partition almost faster than you can boot from the DW disk.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 04, 2010 02:53PM
anonymouse1
Hey, careful with this stuff!!!

I don't recall which iMac models are affected, but some are compatible only with certain brands and models of hard drives.

Here's a link from our sponsors:

[blog.macsales.com]

late 09 = 21.5" and 27" iMacs

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 04, 2010 05:13PM
jdc
late 09 = 21.5" and 27" iMacs

whew! this applys to my new iMac but not my son's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020