advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Last official LOST thread, possibly rife with spoilers, for the last time
Posted by: iaJim
Date: May 23, 2010 10:38PM
Jack's dad said it was all real, that all of those people were important in the most important thing they had ever done. Was that most important thing their death? Was this all the last flash of Jack's brain?

It surely didn't end the way I thought it would.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 23, 2010 10:39PM
I didn't hear that the alternate endings were skits, but that seems very likely, now that you mention it. Ah well, I will watch tomorrow, anyway.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 23, 2010 10:57PM
Fred_Also
What happened to Miles, Richard & Frank (the pilot)? They weren't in the church at the end.

....that is what I mean....Jack's father said everyone dies and basically that they were all waiting to move on...that is why Kate, Sawyer, Claire (who 'survived' but eventually died) but why were Miles, Richard & Frank not there...? I also don't remember seeing Daniel Faraday there.....BUT Desmond was there. When he spoke with Daniel's mom he said that he (Desmond) wasn't going (Desmond said that right?)....

also as someone mentioned others who 'died' never made major appearances and also were not at the church....we still don't know what the island is.....the history....etc...

....we still don't know exactly

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 23, 2010 11:03PM
That last scene of the airplane wreckage. That was the plane Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Miles, Lapidus, and Richard were on right? Locke had rigged it with explosives. And it blew when it was in the sky soon after it flew over the dying Jack. The writers decided it wasn't necessary to show this on-camera because it would've ruined the flow of the episode. Does this sound right?

So the only people left alive were Hurley, Ben, and Desmond.

Ben, Hurley and Desmond then used the island's powers to travel around sideways "a better way" (as Ben said) to set things right. Does that sound about right?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 23, 2010 11:05PM
It was good for me. (Vincent in the last scene on the island was a big plus I wanted to know what happened to him). Going to be a lot of questions - I'm sure they like it like that.

JoeM
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 23, 2010 11:06PM
3d
That last scene of the airplane wreckage. That was the plane Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Miles, Lapidus, and Richard were on right? Locke had rigged it with explosives. And it blew when it was in the sky soon after it flew over the dying Jack. The writers decided it wasn't necessary to show this on-camera because it would've ruined the flow of the episode. Does this sound right?

So the only people left alive were Hurley, Ben, and Desmond.

Ben, Hurley and Desmond then used the island's powers to travel around sideways "a better way" (as Ben said) to set things right. Does that sound about right?

I thought the plane didn't make it either.

JoeM
Date: May 23, 2010 11:06PM
....you forgot that Vincent survived, too.....

Posted by: 3d
Date: May 23, 2010 11:07PM
Was everyone in the church at the end Candidates and their significant others? I have to watch it again on DVR. Everyone not at the church was a bit player. And not "invited"?
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 23, 2010 11:08PM
When Locke told Jack he didn't have a son, that gave me a "Sixth Sense" feeling.

All along, Linelof and Cuse said the island was not purgatory and that "dead was dead"

Christian said some of the people died before Jack and some died after. That made no sense to me. Wouldn't they all be waiting for the "last one", whoever that turned out to be?

Sooo, all I can figure out is that the people who died on the island died when we saw them die. The people who did not die on the island died at some other point we did not (need to) see?

Ugh. Help.

DM
Date: May 23, 2010 11:09PM
3d
Was everyone in the church at the end Candidates and their significant others? I have to watch it again on DVR. Everyone not at the church was a bit player. And not "invited"?

.....but Desmond wasn't a candidate....also would Boone be in that category.....? he was a brother but 'significant'....??

.....Rose and her husband were there too, they were not candidates...????

...don't understand why certain people were at the church and not others....had it already reached capacity....????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2010 11:24PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: May 23, 2010 11:13PM
dmann
Christian said some of the people died before Jack and some died after. That made no sense to me. Wouldn't they all be waiting for the "last one", whoever that turned out to be?

....what I took that to mean was that this 'place' of the Flashsideways was where they were waiting (like a way station) until everyone was dead (be it now or in the future) and they could all move on together, supposedly to 'heaven'.....but if that is so then why were certain people missing....???

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 23, 2010 11:14PM
dmann

Christian said there was no "time" there. Penny, Desmond and others could have lived long, full lives and then arrived at the church.
Date: May 23, 2010 11:17PM
Mike Sellers
dmann

Christian said there was no "time" there. Penny, Desmond and others could have lived long, full lives and then arrived at the church.

Ah. Makes sense. I must have missed that line about no time.

DM
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 24, 2010 12:01AM
Doc
'Haven't watched the show.

Now that it's over... well... I've seen stuff in the promos that's very confusing...

I'm sure they must have addressed this at some point in the show's history, but it's confounding me how they could have explained it reasonably...

Maybe one of you has the answer.

How'd the fat guy stay so fat with no junk food and miles of hiking every day for 6 years?

I guess this question is inevitable in every single Lost thread. Someone that's never watched the show has to pick on the fat guy.

Grateful11
Date: May 24, 2010 12:03AM
And it is equally obnoxious every single time.

DM
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 24, 2010 12:31AM
This whole time I invested in the show I felt like I was going to get the satisfying experience of an Apple iPod at the end, what I got was a Microsoft Zune....the brown one.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Manlove
Date: May 24, 2010 01:16AM
Wow.
I feel cheapened by reading all that.
And personally I think Doc has a valid point. Without self contiguity a show like Lost means nothing. A rambling mess.

I've never watched it by the way, so I know not whereof I speak.

Obnoxious is taking personally someone else's opinion about a t.v. show, particularly when it was proposed as a joke.
Posted by: lipskidder
Date: May 24, 2010 01:17AM
I thought I saw Damon and Carlton mention Walt was going to be on the show tonight. Were they joking?
Date: May 24, 2010 01:26AM
Manlove
Obnoxious is taking personally someone else's opinion about a t.v. show, particularly when it was proposed as a joke.

That particular "joke" has been floated here many, many times and it is old. The guy who plays him is a HUMAN BEING, not a cartoon character and why it is OK to ridicule him for his size is beyond me.

Since neither of you watch the show, the timeline on the island was NOT 6 years. It was a few months (well, at least it was before they started skipping around in time.)

DM
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 24, 2010 01:38AM
lipskidder
I thought I saw Damon and Carlton mention Walt was going to be on the show tonight. Were they joking?

Walt was seen in several flashbacks.
Also, there was a young black kid shot from the back in the church.

It's too bad they didn't have the Benjamin Button CGI budget, they could have done something cool using the actor's grown-up face.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: May 24, 2010 01:52AM
dmann
That particular "joke" has been floated here many, many times and it is old. The guy who plays him is a HUMAN BEING, not a cartoon character and why it is OK to ridicule him for his size is beyond me.

Since neither of you watch the show, the timeline on the island was NOT 6 years. It was a few months (well, at least it was before they started skipping around in time.)
DM

I strolled around the Himalayas for a few months and lost about 30lbs, fyi. I thought Doc was pointing out a basic flaw in the show's narrative that it's hard to stay fat when there's nothing to eat and you have to exercise hard.
You are absolutely right, I completely forgot that under the layers of fat there is a HUMAN BEING (did you really need to SHOUT your inanity?).

Good grief.
Date: May 24, 2010 01:57AM
That ending was a big pile of steaming poo plopped out by lazy writers who could not tie any of the major loose ends. I won't bother watching anything done by JJ Abrams again.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 01:58AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 24, 2010 02:16AM
Great finale. Elegant. For me, it made all the talk of "questions" and what got answered or not absolutely irrelevant. It was like a wonderfully sustained final note to a favorite song.

With any show everyone sees their own personal show in a way. When it comes to Lost, the show I saw almost never disappointed, always entertained and enthralled, and the finale was a perfect and fitting end.

There's going to be a mountain of stupid generated by the finale. No surprise there; has been since episode one and every episode since.

But it doesn't matter one whit. The series, the doo dads around the fringes, the finale, everthing was that good. big grin smiley
Date: May 24, 2010 02:27AM
OK, um, what was all that?
Any way I try to parse it, it does not make any sense, other than to say "they ALL died in the plane crash and the Island was some kind of purgatory."*

Sure this show was emotionally satisfying for some, and I could accept that all the mysteries were not answered, but that strategy only works for me in the context of those previous five seasons being based on the purgatory theme.

And, let's face it, the Jacob and the Smoke Monster arc was pure filler.

*a theory which the creators have protested is not the case for 5.9 of the show's 6 seasons.

Date: May 24, 2010 07:10AM
My inanity? I am not the one posting on a thread about a show that I have never watched.

DM
Date: May 24, 2010 07:30AM
Let's get back on topic.

I don't think the entire series was purgatory. It's was all "real" except for the flash sideways which was either created by Jack or Hurley, using their Jacob-powers. Jacob could obviously interact with the real world and manipulate events. Hurley said that he and Ben could do things differently from Jacob.

I'm not sure if the ending was lazy writing or brilliant. The ending will be discussed over and over and theories will abound so from the perspective of giving the series life beyond the finale, I'm leaning towards the latter.
Posted by: Doc
Date: May 24, 2010 07:44AM
Mike Sellers
The ending will be discussed over and over and theories will abound...

Date: May 24, 2010 07:45AM
I noticed that in the scene with Jack and the coffin, the stained glass window behind him had symbols from many different religions so I am guessing Darlton wanted to remind us they were pulling from various theologies.

I think the sideways stuff was either the "purgatory" type place, or a level of redemption/enlightenment/resolution or whatever for each of the characters.

Since Hurley said something to Ben about being a great #2, I do think they stayed on the island and did some work after Jack died and they died at some point later. Since Ben didn't go in, he wasn't at the same "level" as everyone else.

Just some additional thoughts after not enough sleep. smiling smiley

DM
Date: May 24, 2010 08:31AM
Here's a theory: Jack never crawled out of the cave. How could he with a mortal wound? If Hurley helped him, why would he leave him to crawl off alone to die? When the water and light returned, so did it's powers. Smokie was angry and wanted to leave the island so he turned into the malevolent smoke monster. Jack wanted to get everyone home safely so the light enabled him to create another reality where everyone was safe and happy. That still leaves a lot of unanswered questions but that's why we'll be talking about it years from now. People still discuss "The Prisoner" from 40 years ago.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: May 24, 2010 08:41AM
My theory--nothing at all about purgatory. They borrowed the basic plot of Occurence at Owl Creek. The last six year's were Jack's final thoughts before dying after the crash, a fantasy created out of his own memories. I found everything satisfying except the part where my wife, who hasn't watched the show for four years, came in during the last half an hour and asked questions.
Date: May 24, 2010 08:49AM
zeppo2
They borrowed the basic plot of Occurence at Owl Creek.

.....wow, I think that would have worked better....!!

....emotionally, found it satisfying since we got to see everyone come together with some conclusion to the 'basic' plot....but as someone stated, it felt like either the writers were lazy or couldn't think of anything/wrote themselves into a corner and came up with this ending because they had no other solution (the purgatory one was the most populart theory, so they couldn't use that).....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 08:49AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: May 24, 2010 08:50AM
dmann
I think the sideways stuff was either the "purgatory" type place, or a level of redemption/enlightenment/resolution or whatever for each of the characters.

Since Hurley said something to Ben about being a great #2, I do think they stayed on the island and did some work after Jack died and they died at some point later. Since Ben didn't go in, he wasn't at the same "level" as everyone else.

DM

I too think that Ben and Hurley lived and ran the island for a while, and I think that possibly Ben and Hurley, and thanks to Desmond's manipulating, figured out how to get everyone together in an after-death LOST Island reunion sort of thing. I think Ben didn't feel he was as yet redeemed, and that is why he didn't go into the church with the others.

I think the light spit Jack out into the lagoon so that he could make his way back to the bamboo grove for his finale resting spot. Nice touch to have Vincent come up to him this time, too. I think it was the Agira flight leaving, that Jack saw, and that gave him peace, but I am still not sure if the wreckage they showed at the end was of flight 815 or maybe the Agira plane with the last few on it. I need to look at the DVR again with some pausing and studying.

Date: May 24, 2010 08:51AM
None of it ever happened. The Island sequences all took place in Jack's head while he was in a coma. There never was a plane crash, all of the "survivors" were people Jack operated on throughout his life and their Island adventures were just figments of his imagination. The so-called Flash sideways was a different vision, and "letting go" was his final death.

That's as close as I'm going to get to making sense of any of it, in my mind, and that's my prerogative. Everybody who suffered through endured 120+ hours of that deserves to create their own justification for loving/hating it. winking smiley

I think a lot of it was entertaining and the show was addictive by design (Heroin's addictive too, you know; I don't see anybody trying to give it Emmy awards), but if anybody thinks it was any kind of artistic achievement, they might want to check into "Santa Rosa." Tell 'em Libby sent ya.

Date: May 24, 2010 09:50AM
Seacrest
None of it ever happened. The Island sequences all took place in Jack's head while he was in a coma. There never was a plane crash, all of the "survivors" were people Jack operated on throughout his life and their Island adventures were just figments of his imagination. The so-called Flash sideways was a different vision, and "letting go" was his final death.

That's as close as I'm going to get to making sense of any of it, in my mind, and that's my prerogative. Everybody who suffered through endured 120+ hours of that deserves to create their own justification for loving/hating it. winking smiley

I think a lot of it was entertaining and the show was addictive by design (Heroin's addictive too, you know; I don't see anybody trying to give it Emmy awards), but if anybody thinks it was any kind of artistic achievement, they might want to check into "Santa Rosa." Tell 'em Libby sent ya.

If it was all in Jack's head then how would he know the details of the other people's live sin such detail before he died? Things such as Sawyer's youth, Kate's crimes, Jin and Sun meeting and marrying?

IMO that ending was utter BS and a huge cop out by the writers.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 24, 2010 09:58AM
pRICE cUBE

Thank you for someone else willing to call it as it is.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 24, 2010 10:13AM
Markintosh
pRICE cUBE

Thank you for someone else willing to call it as it is.
Dang right.

Paine.
Gandhi.
King.
pRICE cUBE.

Where would we be without those willing to speak the truth to power and to people who like TV shows you don't? big grin smiley
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 24, 2010 10:14AM
zeppo2
I found everything satisfying except the part where my wife, who hasn't watched the show for four years, came in during the last half an hour and asked questions.

Oh boy I bet that was fun winking smiley

Grateful11
Date: May 24, 2010 10:24AM
Grateful11
zeppo2
I found everything satisfying except the part where my wife, who hasn't watched the show for four years, came in during the last half an hour and asked questions.

Oh boy I bet that was fun winking smiley

My husband went to bed early on. Actually he fell asleep in the chair early on and went to bed later. He doesn't watch LOST, but he knew better than to talk during the show. He asked a couple of questions during the recap, but knew better than to interrupt the finale. grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2010 10:27AM
.....nothing worse than LOST interruptus....well almost nothing.....

Date: May 24, 2010 10:36AM
dmann
Michael & Walt, too. We never saw Mr. Eko in any of the final episodes, did we?

DM

I think the writers were saying people of African descent are not allowed in Jack's heaven. So not only were the writers lazy, they are racist too turbo naughty smiley

Date: May 24, 2010 10:36AM
pRICE cUBE
dmann

DM

I think the writers were saying people of African descent are not allowed in Jack's heaven. So not only were the writers lazy, they are racist too turbo naughty smiley

......but Rose WAS in the church (as was Sayid, the only other minority).....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 11:16AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: May 24, 2010 10:58AM
pRICE cUBE
Seacrest

If it was all in Jack's head then how would he know the details of the other people's live sin such detail before he died? Things such as Sawyer's youth, Kate's crimes, Jin and Sun meeting and marrying?

Stop being logical!
I'm trying to justify wasting 121+ hours of wasted TV time.
Time I could have spent doing more productive things, like skipping stones or pretending to fish.

Date: May 24, 2010 11:04AM
Seacrest
Stop being logical!
I'm trying to justify wasting 121+ hours of wasted TV time.
Time I could have spent doing more productive things, like skipping stones or pretending to fish.

I think that was the final scene in a time travel episode of Stargate. Try to be a little more original, will 'ya? smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2010 11:07AM
NewtonMP2100
pRICE cUBE
dmann

DM

......but Rose WAS in the church.....

Stop pointing out my attempt at slandering the writers will ya angry villagers smiley

Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 24, 2010 11:08AM
rgG
I too think that Ben and Hurley lived and ran the island for a while, and I think that possibly Ben and Hurley, and thanks to Desmond's manipulating, figured out how to get everyone together in an after-death LOST Island reunion sort of thing. I think Ben didn't feel he was as yet redeemed, and that is why he didn't go into the church with the others.

i think i'll go with this resolve. it would explain why the reunion only included island people. after all, the love of Sayid's life was Nadia and she wasn't there.

overall, the ending was way too Christian Shephardy for me. i was hoping for something more psuedo sci-fi. the final image of Jack and Vincent was comforting. so comforting that i insisted my poochie snuggle up with me for the night. i don't think he minded.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 24, 2010 11:20AM
Like I said once before: "chick show" (that somehow snagged a few guys with the promise of sci-fi).

Date: May 24, 2010 12:29PM
The Target commercials may have actually been better than that POS last episode.

Date: May 24, 2010 12:41PM
Google search for: Lost finale piece of crap

About 457,000 results (0.47 seconds)

Google search for: Lost final episode piece of utter sh__

About 1,240,000 results (0.40 seconds)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 01:08PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 24, 2010 12:48PM
pRICE cUBE

Yes. This is what happens when writers use the devices of science fiction without understanding the constraints of the genre.

Good science fiction has a depth of coherence and structure that is missing from Lost. Good science fiction may not answer ALL the questions it raises, but it will nevertheless leave the viewer with the feeling that the answers DO exist.

This is the kind of show that gives "science fiction" a bad reputation -- people think it's science fiction but it really isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 12:56PM by Janit.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 24, 2010 12:49PM
I really like the comparison to Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge....

Link

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020