advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deep Discount DVD full of BS on shipping?
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: December 23, 2005 08:35AM
First, DDD has provided some GREAT deals, so don't take this as a slam. Sometimes with free shipping, you don't get your money's worth.

What's with sending out a "Your Order Has Shipped" email on 12/12, and it hasn't arrived on 12/22? What US Postal option takes 10+ days to get from Illinois to Westchester New York?

These were non-essential holiday gifts, so no real harm, but comon. My last Netflix roundtrip was mailed Tuesday at 5pm and was replaced with a new title by Thursday afternoon. That's with a warehouse in Queens during a transit strike.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deep Discount DVD full of BS on shipping?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 23, 2005 08:39AM
Media Mail can take that long.

It goes by way of Boise.
Date: December 23, 2005 08:54AM
>It goes by way of Boise.

Seriously?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 23, 2005 10:13AM
Sorting facilities are all over the place; I'm honestly not sure if the USPS has centralized certain areas' media mail.

The base answer though is, yes, media mail can take that long sometimes. When it's a time critical thing (Christmas or birthday gift) always pony up a few bucks for the priority shipping. (I'm on Amazon Prime; I get two-day free and overnight for $4 on anything they directly sell (i.e., not a "trusted partner" (which is a crock; I'll rant on GameStop later)).
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 23, 2005 11:04AM
This time of year, media mail can sit and sit and sit anywhere along the way. One reason why it's so cheap!
Posted by: MEG
Date: December 23, 2005 11:13AM
You're not alone Jim. Day 11 of waiting for my stuff to arrive (I actually forgot I ordered from them until I saw your post). Luckily, mine aren't holiday gifts, just some DVDs for us. Maybe today will be the day...
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 23, 2005 11:53AM
I try to order DVDs, books and things by the second week in November. That way I get them in time to wrap for Christmas.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 23, 2005 03:13PM
I've found all kinds of shipping to be very slow, mainly do to the weather.

The USPS doesn't have a hub like other shippers, though they do have processing plants all over.

I ordered three DVDs from amazon. One was sent Media Mail via USPS and the other two by way of Airborne. These may still come from the USPS for the "last mile".

The one shipped via USPS is here. The ones shipped via Airborne where shipped a few days after the first one, and are making *very* slow progress.

This is not a good time of year to order anything that has to be shipped any distance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 23, 2005 05:48PM
Media mail is filler for when the Priority and First Class doesn't fill up their carry capabilities. This time of year, they are overloaded, it may not be until mid to late next week.

In the middle of the summer, i have had media mail cross country in maybe 3 days.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: December 23, 2005 09:08PM
I had a similar situation with DDD.com in Feb. '02. It took 11 total days (9 business days) to get from IL to the mid-Michigan area. I emailed DDD.com about this and was told in part:

"This is a parcel post method of delivery, also called "media" mail. This normally runs 5-10 BUSINESS days for delivery. Business days do not include weekends or holidays."

Looks like you're at 10 business days now, so I imagine it shouldn't be too much longer.
Date: December 23, 2005 11:29PM
2 packages arrived today--shipped 12/12 and 12/15. Good enough.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 24, 2005 08:09AM
Glad to hear they showed up.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020