Date: December 23, 2005 08:50AM
[netscape.salary.com]

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good link for those asking about job/salary negotiations
Posted by: Tofer
Date: December 23, 2005 09:42AM
Quote:

"It's all negotiable. Every new job - every performance review, in fact - is an opportunity to negotiate base salary, various kinds of bonuses, benefits, stock options, and other incentives that add to job satisfaction and provide financial security"

Hahaha. I have to be part of a union, and I can't negotiate a thing. The union is a bad thing for me, a high school physics teacher.

1) I'm a professional (or at least, I'd like to be considered a professional), yet the union negotiates for us as if we are a labor force.

2) As much as I love my English/History/elementary school colleagues (and they certainly work as hard or harder), in the free market they wouldn't garner as high a wage as I would. Frankly, there are many more of them for the number of jobs available.

3) I probably won't stay in teaching long when I know I can make twice the salary in the outside world.

4) There are teachers here who would get fired in a heartbeat in a non-unionized job. They give us all a bad name, and the students get the short end of the deal. One of the teachers (the union treasurer, as it turns out) has decided that he doesn't want to have his assigned study hall this year, so he just doesn't go. The students get to the class, he doesn't show up, and they leave. Miraculously, they all appear as "present" on his attendance every day.

There are definite benefits to being a teacher (I get next week off, for instance), but being able to negotiate for my salary (in the public school system, at least) is not one of them.

-Tofer
Re: Good link for those asking about job/salary negotiations
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 23, 2005 08:38PM
4) There are teachers here who would get fired in a heartbeat in a non-unionized job. They give us all a bad name, and the students get the short end of the deal.

Don't get me started.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020