Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.67 ( +0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pots and Pans for Induction Cook Top
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: June 01, 2010 03:35PM
I'm moving! Thus I have the opportunity to get new pots and pans. However, I'm planning on using an induction cook top. So my question is; will the aluminum encapsulated bottom stainless steel pots and pans work well on an induction cool top?

I plan on using heat spreaders for other types of pots and pans as well.

Oh, and what would be a favorite, high quality set, of fellow forum members? I don't like plastic or bak-o-lite types of handles and knobs. I'm into metal and riveted handles and knobs.

This set kind of caught my eye:

[www.amazon.com]

Cheers!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pots and Pans for Induction Cook Top
Posted by: August West
Date: June 01, 2010 04:10PM
motopsyco
...a favorite, high quality set, of fellow forum members?

Well, I'm in it.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 01, 2010 04:10PM
I don't think I would buy aluminum encapsulated pans. The point of the aluminum is that is an excellent conductor of heat when used with either gas or traditional electric stove. It would just be an added expense for you.

Inexpensive cast iron pans should work well.
Date: June 01, 2010 04:20PM
freeradical
I don't think I would buy aluminum encapsulated pans. The point of the aluminum is that is an excellent conductor of heat when used with either gas or traditional electric stove. It would just be an added expense for you.

Inexpensive cast iron pans should work well.

I've been think along the same lines and looking at the Lodge cast iron as well. In looking I can get by with a few basic pieces.

Cheers!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2010 04:25PM
Moto,

Maybe this site will help:

[theinductionsite.com]

One question.. Is the induction cooktop already in place or are you planning to install it upon moving into your new abode?

[theinductionsite.com]

[www.consumersearch.com]

Figure, if you're going to buy a new cooktop, I might as well provide some links about them. If you already have it, I'd take a look at consumersearch for recommendations about cookware. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: June 01, 2010 04:58PM
@Robert M,

Unfortunately my 'new' kitchen is little more than a glorified wet bar. In fact it was a wet bar in a past generation. The previous tenets had use a traditional electric hot plate, which is still there. I'll still use it for some things, but I'm going to get a couple of 1600-1800 watt induction portables.

The garage I'm getting in my apartment deal was #1, so I had to compromise on the kitchen.

On the other hand, there's a large back yard for grilling.:-)

Cheers!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 01, 2010 08:42PM
I have found that you need to be wary about stainless cookware that doesn't specifically include the induction symbol on the box. Easiest way is to take a magnet with you to a store and try it on different pieces. Some will work and some won't. I have a couple of Wearever Cook & Strain saucepans that work fine, but I own some other, very similar stainless pots that don't; perhaps there are differing amounts of aluminum in the bases or something. Fortunately, the burner won't come on at all if the pot isn't suitable!

Oh, and be sure the magnet sticks to the bottom of the pan as well as the sides--I've come across some that didn't. Once I checked each piece in an inexpensive set and found that the magnet didn't stick to 2 of the pots. I don't bother buying sets, though, since I'd rather choose the pieces I need.

Saucepans and stockpots are pretty easy to find, but a decent non-stick skillet is a little harder. Nordic Ware makes a pretty good one that's available at Wal-Mart--and made in the USA! Plus, I love the beautiful enameled cast iron ones, but they are expensive and the larger ones are too heavy for me (arthritic hands).

Good luck with your induction burner! Found mine (1800-watt Max Burton, $80) at Tuesday Morning, where they also had some high-quality European-style induction cookware.
Date: June 02, 2010 10:56AM
A-Polly,

Indeed, I know about the magnet deal. All steel cook ware should be fine but most stainless steel may not. It depends on the relative iron content. I think I'll go with the cast iron for now and look for the pieces I want later.

I'm looking at a couple of Max Burton's too, and fairly set on them unless someone or something else tells otherwise.

Cheers!
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 02, 2010 02:28PM
The set you linked to at Amazon has riveted handles, however, the handles themselves are fairly thin sheet metal rolled with tabs for the handle. They flex considerable at the two tabs that are riveted to the pot/pan part when the pot/pan part is filled with something heavy. They are not "hand down to the next generation" pots/pans.
Posted by: qdog
Date: June 02, 2010 11:08PM
I use Health Craft cookware. It is made for induction cook tops but I have no problems with it on my gas top stove. It is expensive but worth it

www.arrowheadcutlery.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=79

[www.bikerenews.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login