advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AT&T will finally let you tether with iPhone OS4.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 02, 2010 01:54PM
For $20 extra, if you have the DataPro (2GB) plan. No extra data bandwidth is provided. The $20 is strictly for the privilege. Can't add it to a grandfathered Unlimited plan.

From their news announcement about the new data plans: [www.att.com]

Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AT&T will finally let you tether with iPhone OS4.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: June 02, 2010 02:05PM
Some of us have tethering for a one time $10 charge smiling smiley [rockyourphone.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 02, 2010 02:35PM
does MyWi work w/o Jailbreak?
no interruption of the OS?
Posted by: Trouble
Date: June 02, 2010 02:48PM
Fritz
does MyWi work w/o Jailbreak?
no interruption of the OS?

Jailbreak required. I'm not sure when I'll upgrade to OS 4. Jailbroken 3.1.2 is very useful.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 02, 2010 03:58PM
>The $20 is strictly for the privilege.

There is something inherently evil about this...angry villagers smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: June 02, 2010 04:35PM
Yep. They are charging twice for the same bandwidth. They do it because they have the sweetheart deal that eliminates competition. The telecoms charge insane amounts of money for precious little service. The same thing happens with text messages. They charge 20 cents per message, which rides the same datastream as your unlimited plan that you already paid for.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 02, 2010 04:48PM
Can't Apple do anything about this (assuming they'd want to)? Wouldn't it be likely that Apple has it written into the exclusivity contract that ATT can't go making plan changes that could affect product sales that they didn't approve? Maybe ATT knows Apple is getting ready to tell them to get bent and are trying to get the drop on them? Next week is going to be interesting and I think we may be in for a surprise.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 02, 2010 05:05PM
We've already read recently that Apple disclosed the original AT&T deal as being a 5-year contract with iPhone. So there won't be a Verizon or any other announcement next week about iPhone. But for the upcoming iPhone, it could be the last hurrah for AT&T as something else may become available in 2012.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 02, 2010 05:38PM
Right, but I'm wondering though if ATT changes something along the way if that gives Apple an out. Again, it's probable that Apple has known this was coming but...
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 02, 2010 10:41PM
Screw it.
Buying an Android phone (eventually).
If I need to use iPhone OS, I will tether my iPod touch to my Android.

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login