Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.89 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sick willow tree? yellow leaves falling
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 06, 2010 02:07PM
i have a willow tree in my backyard which is approximately 4 years old. Its been unseasonably warm lately - 90 degrees here in brooklyn. In the last week its started losing leaves which have turned yellow. I can see no other signs of illness in the tree. no black spots on the leaves, no deformities on trunks or branches.

Is it possible, or even likely, that this is a either a natural response to the heat or due to a lack of water or both?

(the warm weather has me doing a _lot_ more garden watering than i normally do. i try to keep it to a minimum.)

VTPKL it!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sick willow tree? yellow leaves falling
Posted by: hal
Date: June 06, 2010 02:51PM
perhaps too much water?
Date: June 06, 2010 03:18PM
nah, i try not to water it.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Black
Date: June 06, 2010 03:30PM
Any holes to be seen in the trunk? This thread suggests borers:
[www.ext.nodak.edu]

Also stated is that Willows are prone to Antracanose fungus. My Sycamore loses its leaves due to Anthracanose, as does every other Sycamore I'm aware of around here, during any spring that's reasonably damp, and then throws out perfect new ones once things dry up.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 06, 2010 03:33PM
mattkime
nah, i try not to water it.

I assume you're kidding.

Willows in the wild grow near water, so it can sometimes be very hard to keep their thirsts quenched in regular yard landscapes. My suspicion is that it's just not getting enough water, in spite of the fact you are doing some. You've already Googled, which is why you mentioned that it didn't have spots on the leaves nor any other signs of illness. That doesn't leave much besides lack of water, which is very logical given the weather and the kind of tree it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 03:34PM by AlphaDog.
Date: June 06, 2010 03:35PM
Not enough water would result in dry shriveled leaves, I think?

Also, leaves turn "fall" colors when the the tree decides it's fall due to dropping clorophil production. Has it been overcast for a prolonged period by you?

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 06, 2010 05:57PM
If the veins are greener than the rest of the leaf, it could be iron chlorosis. Otherwise, could be any number of things killing your tree.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: June 06, 2010 08:13PM
Willows frequently get a fungus which causes them to do this very thing. My neighbor uses a sprayer to reach the parts of the tree he can. It's one that's supposed to spray 75', but I don't think it gets that high in reality. It's something that he has to repeat every time it rains. The parts of the tree he can reach are fine. The top is shedding its leaves just as you describe. I don't think it will kill the tree, but it is certainly not attractive.
Date: June 07, 2010 12:49PM
lost interest?

Date: June 08, 2010 07:00PM
found a few places that state that a willow will lose its leaves if it fails to get water.

[en.allexperts.com]

VTPKL it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login