Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.87 ( -0.32 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this what I need? IR Extender to control cable box/dvr behind cabinet door
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 23, 2010 12:52PM
I bought a new cabinet to hold my TV, DVD player and cable box/dvr. The doors are wood so I knew the Comcast remote would not work unless I got one of those transmitters to put on the TV itself, but I'm not entirely clear on which piece I actually need.

After doing some digging around, it seems like an IR Extender will do the trick (I do have an IR port on the cable box) but thought I'd run it by all of you before I buy anything.

TIA-
DM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this what I need? IR Extender to control cable box/dvr behind cabinet door
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 23, 2010 01:02PM
Yes.

However... Make sure your nice wood cabinet has sufficient ventilation for electronics. Many a gizmo has suffered fatal heat prostration after being imurred behind scenic cabinetry. Adding a quiet fan to the cabinet itself is often the only solution.
Re: Is this what I need? IR Extender to control cable box/dvr behind cabinet door
Date: June 23, 2010 01:05PM
Thanks for the quick reply and the warning cbelt3. There is a large hole in the back for the cords and the DVD player isn't even plugged in as I don't use it that frequently. The TV is on top of the cabinet, not inside it. So, the only thing running in there is the DVR. Do you think that is OK?

DM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 01:06PM by dmann.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 23, 2010 01:10PM
DVR's run pretty darn hot. Test it out by putting a little min/max thermometer in the cabinet, use it for a few days, and then see what the max temp in there was. Under 120F, you're probably OK.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 23, 2010 01:10PM
This is the remote extender that I bought for my Comcast remote. It actually issues a RF signal in addition to the IR signal. We have a Replay TV in the basement that this is able to control. I'm not sure how it works through the battery compartment, but it does.

[cgi.ebay.com]

[www.smarthome.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 01:12PM by DavidS.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 23, 2010 02:32PM
Xantech:
[www.xantech.com]

Their products are widely used in institutional/public installations as well as homes. Good stuff.

Here's the basic starter kit:
[www.xantech.com]

$55.94
[www.smarthome.com]

On second look, apparently that kit doesn't include the receiver. I'll dig some more and post it when I get a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 02:37PM by BernDog.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 23, 2010 03:03PM
That Xantech package does not include the IR receiver. You need to add one for it to work.

This is the kit I bought ($71.95): Channelvision IR kit. Works as advertised.

They seem to be nice people (SmarthomeUSA). They have tech support if you'd like to ask what they recommend. I have no affiliation with them.

The model that DavidS linked to is OK if you have room in front of the devices inside the cabinet - doesn't usually work in that configuration...

Cary
Date: June 23, 2010 03:07PM
Wow, these are much more expensive than I imagined. I live in a 2 br condo and the space between the couch and the TV is less than 10 ft. Like I said, all I have is a cable box/dvr and a DVD player that isn't even plugged in most of the time. No fancy system with audio/surround sound etc.

I'll shop around a bit, but right now just keeping the cabinet door open when I am watching TV is looking more appealing. smiling smiley

DM
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 23, 2010 03:08PM
Cary

The model that DavidS linked to is OK if you have room in front of the devices inside the cabinet - doesn't usually work in that configuration...

Cary

Actually, it comes with it's own IR blaster cable. I have mine sitting on top of the ReplayTV, just like the pic in the Smarthome link.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 23, 2010 03:54PM
If you don't mind having a little bug on the outside $20 or so

[www.monoprice.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: June 23, 2010 04:05PM
I got one of these for my sister.
Works well when it doesn't fall behind the cabinet.

(sticky tape didn't last long for some reason, I don't ask any more)

I think I looked up her set top box model number to make sure I got the right one.
I think she told me a few weks later that they had them at the Comcast office.
oops, forgot the link: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 04:06PM by billb.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 23, 2010 04:33PM
BernDog
Xantech:
[www.xantech.com]

Their products are widely used in institutional/public installations as well as homes. Good stuff.

Here's the basic starter kit:
[www.xantech.com]

$55.94
[www.smarthome.com]

On second look, apparently that kit doesn't include the receiver. I'll dig some more and post it when I get a chance.

OK, here's the full kit I was looking for:
[www.smarthomeusa.com]

Yeah, it's expensive. If you try a cheaper one and it works for you, good deal. If not, this is a good quality kit that should work in most all situations. Plus, if you end up with more components in the future, you just need to buy more emitters.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 23, 2010 05:58PM
My box and AV unit are in another room, so I got a RF remote (URC RF-20 with remote base unit, ~$80)

But if you have an iphone or touch, there's an app for that - L5 Remote for $50

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: June 23, 2010 09:32PM
Check with Comcast and see if they have them. I just set up a new digital cable box (no DVR) for my uncle
and there was a little IR extender in the box - basically an IR eye on about 4' of cable.

Comcast Digital Transport Adapter IR EXTENDER

It looked like this one on ebay [cgi.ebay.com]

Date: June 23, 2010 09:43PM
Thanks 'fil. I'll do that!

DM
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 23, 2010 11:46PM
lafinfil
Check with Comcast and see if they have them. I just set up a new digital cable box (no DVR) for my uncle
and there was a little IR extender in the box - basically an IR eye on about 4' of cable.

Comcast Digital Transport Adapter IR EXTENDER

It looked like this one on ebay [cgi.ebay.com]

I think that one only works with the new DTA from Comcast, and nothing else
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login