advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tell me something about paint: Lowes, HomeDepot, Sherwin-Williams?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 30, 2010 08:59PM
Lowes sells this "Olympic" paint which is supposed to be very low odour, and perhaps some other brands. HomeDepot sells BEHR. Sherwin Williams sells paint too. I just don't know anything about paint, wife and Dad painted the house (while I am at work) and have no clue if they used quality paint or junk. Looks very nice, I have to admit it, but how will it last? will it peel? fade? what else?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tell me something about paint: Lowes, HomeDepot, Sherwin-Williams?
Posted by: yeoman
Date: June 30, 2010 09:04PM
I've found from first hand experience that you get what you pay for - thicker pigments means better coverage. If you're painting over similar colour then cheaper paint will be fine but if not then go for the expensive paint otherwise you'll have to apply another coat. I personally like Sherwin Williams for exterior (forget the name but one notch down from the very best). HD and Lowes designer paint for interior also good. Avoid the low end.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 30, 2010 09:08PM
It's well worth paying for a consumer reports article on paint. They extensively test paints over long periods of time. Anything else is just going to be anecdotal. This site gives you a freebee look at the results of their testing: [www.consumersearch.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 30, 2010 09:43PM
Well, if you'd just tell us what kind of paint they did use, somebody would probably be able to give you a better answer. Frankly, now that it's done, I wouldn't worry about it until the next painting project, then do your homework before buying the paint. smiling smiley If the job has problems, learn from the experience, because there's little you can do now anyway.

All of those brands you mentioned are good, and I've used each one somewhere through the years, although everybody is going to have a preference. Things like peeling paint are more the result of a poorly prepared surface than the paint itself. Fading? Well, how much exposure is there to direct sunlight? What color is the paint? Darker colors are certainly going to appear to fade more quickly than pale colors, especially in strong sunlight. How long it lasts is also a combination of paint quality and prep work along with the way the paint was applied. There simply is not one paint that anybody can name that will be foolproof and cover up the sins of poor preparation, application, or a challenging location.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: June 30, 2010 09:49PM
I went by the CR article and have been extremely happy with the HD Behr primer & paint.
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: June 30, 2010 10:05PM
It's all in the prep
Posted by: Wags
Date: June 30, 2010 11:48PM
Sherwin Williams is the paint of choice of every contractor I know here in the Pacific NW. I've used it for my last couple of paint jobs on the old homestead and its holding up nicely - and we get a lot of rainy nasty weather here. You pay extra for it, however. Seems worth it if it lasts longer.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: July 01, 2010 02:02AM
AFAIC, anyone who paints the house For me while I'm away, is using the absolute Best kind of paint there is!

My one bit of advice for those who must purchase apply it themselves, though- esp for interior use, pay the extra and get the best low- or better, No-VOC paint you can find.

I used the Pittsburgh no-VOC choice, and it was great stuff: excellent coverage, and extremely little smell that diminished to near zero very quickly. Healthier for the painter, the occupants, and the environment.

space-time
... wife and Dad painted the house (while I am at work)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 01, 2010 04:13AM
I used Behrs or the Lowes brand for years until my last repaint when I got a great deal on Sherwin-Williams - what a difference!

The paint went on smoothly and covered in one coat. Really made the job easier.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: July 01, 2010 05:10AM
I have used BEHR, mainly the exterior solid stain, for many years and have been very pleased with it. I am about to buy two five gallon buckets while it is on sale ($5 off each gallon, $20 off each bucket).
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 01, 2010 06:13AM
Thanks all for your thoughts.

AlphaDog
... Frankly, now that it's done, I wouldn't worry about it until the next painting project, ...

The master bedroom and several other small er area are still to be painted, so I can make changes. Yes, this Olympic paint seems very low odor. About the preparation, we patch small defects here and there, but other than that, my dad just painted. He didn't use a primer. Seems fine in one coat in most places, except the ceiling which is white and required 2 layers to come out spotless.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 01, 2010 06:32AM
We shifted from Sherwin Williams to Behr a number of years ago and have been very happy. We just painted a couple of rooms with Behr and the Shur Line teflon rollers. The package on the rollers says they cover better and I thought it was worth a shot. They worked so well that I bought an extra package of the rollers to have around. Single coat coverage and no splatter at all.

By the way, Home Depot is having a $5 rebate on Behr paints for the next couple of days. I'd bet Lowe's and Sherwin Williams are, as well.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 01, 2010 07:36AM
Plumbking
It's all in the prep

Very true and many folks don't take the time. Quality of paint is also critical more so than the brand IMHO. Most companies
have several quality levels and I've painted with many of them. Cheap paint is never a bargain if your time is worth anything to you.
Also getting a proper brush or roller. A good brush will last a lifetime or more. I have China bristle brushes that were my dads that are still as good as new because they were cleaned and stored properly. Check the paint and use the recommended brush or roller.

As far as paint goes - I used to love Devoe but I no longer have a local supplier, so now I'm pretty partial to Benjamin Moore
for most of my needs but that can very depending on application. Painting with good paint is like spreading melted ice cream
and cheap paint is like colored water.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 01, 2010 09:07AM
The paint on my house lasted almost 30 years.
Sears good, better, best. back then.
I did the prep work, two primer coats (the first one disappeared) one coat of finish and my brother came and did another finish coat because I hate painting.

I'm seriously considering replacing the shingles and going au naturelle.
I really do NOT like painting.
Especially all white .

I was between jobs and several people wanted me to do their homes after seeing the prep work detail.
I seriously considered it until I started painting and found out how much I dislike it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 01, 2010 10:24AM
Count me in as one who hates to paint. I'll avoid it until it absolutely has to be done. In fact, I hate it so much, I just hired my nephew to paint the trim on my stone building. devil smiley

I got Behr from HD and so far the results are pretty good. It's the first time I got paint with the primer mixed in. That seems to be a darn good idea! Is this something new, or something that I just never paid attention to?

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: davester
Date: July 01, 2010 10:54AM
billb
I'm seriously considering replacing the shingles and going au naturelle.

That sounds like it could be painful. Try not to get too many splinters.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Kiva
Date: July 01, 2010 11:18AM
some info you might find helpful:

[forums.macresource.com]

imo, the big difference between big box and smaller outfits is paint matching. the big box stores suck at it.

----------------------
Posted by: billb
Date: July 01, 2010 11:28AM
Kiva

[forums.macresource.com]

imo, the big difference between big box and smaller outfits is paint matching. the big box stores suck at it.

I'm finding it really depends on the person doing the paint matching.
I had a young kid at Home Depot do a fantastic job and went back and had a older guy tell me they couldn't wouldn't do it and never have.
Ace hardware - same thing - one guy did a great job matching stain color to paint color -went back to get another gallon because iot matched so well I decided to do the pool/deck skirt and I think I could have done a better job myself just guessing.
But,
I don't do a lot of painting, but I've tried some unique projects and had kids or helpers finish what i started now and then.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: July 01, 2010 11:36AM
billb
Kiva

[forums.macresource.com]

I'm finding it really depends on the person doing the paint matching.
I had a young kid at Home Depot do a fantastic job and went back and had a older guy tell me they couldn't wouldn't do it and never have.
Ace hardware - same thing - one guy did a great job matching stain color to paint color -went back to get another gallon because iot matched so well I decided to do the pool/deck skirt and I think I could have done a better job myself just guessing.
But,
I don't do a lot of painting, but I've tried some unique projects and had kids or helpers finish what i started now and then.

sounds like it's person-to-person or maybe even store-to-store. My experience is that they put it into the computer thing, the computer spits out the formula, they mix it, and hand it to you. At the smaller place i go to (kelly moore), they start with what the computer formula is, then do the adjustments by hand/sight. Ends up perfect every time and the only thing you have to worry about is sheen, as sheen is different between each pain manufacturer (which is why I ALWAYS do flat for interior - except bathroom).

----------------------
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 01, 2010 11:52AM
One of those you mentioned from Lowe's, either Olympic or Behr, got a Best Buy from Consumer Reports, for low odor flat latex interior about a year ago,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014