Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $112.48 ( +0.70 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much to reroof a house?
Posted by: lipskidder
Date: July 03, 2010 09:59AM
I know it depends on the shingles, edging, city, etc. but I just got a check from the adjuster from the insurance co. and was wondering what a rough idea for the cost of reroofing was. $800? 2000?

I am getting an estimate sheet for the adjuster's breakdown in a couple days for reference but it's Saturday and calling around for contractors isn't happening.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much to reroof a house?
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 03, 2010 10:23AM
As you suggest, impossible to say without more info as to size, type, etc. I paid $8000 for my house and $5000 for my studio roof. I'm not even sure if $800 is enough for a small garage since I paid $400 for a shed. All of those jobs included removal of all old shingles and complete re-sheeting.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 03, 2010 10:27AM
How big is the house and what type of roof ?

Full tear off or reroof over existing ?

I did a full tear off of three layers and roofed mine two years ago this July 4th weekend.

IIRC we putdown about 33 squares (3300 sf of shingles) and it was about $2800- $3200 for materials
which included roll off rental ($300) 30 year architectural shingles boomed to the roof, ridge caps,
drip edge, starter course, staples for air nailers, roof vents, etc ...

We did the labor but I'm guessing it would have been about $7000 to have a contractor do it.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 03, 2010 10:37AM
Putting a new layer over a current layer might come in under $2000 for a small simple bungalow. Patching damage from a storm that involves less than half a roof could be $1000.

Remove the old, new OSB sheathing, and fire resistant shingles for a 2300 sqft house + garage in the San Francisco area was almost $8000 for a friend. Second lowest of 4 estimates. That was just before the construction downturn.

in tha 510.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 03, 2010 11:47AM
Mindless ballpark estimate based on too little info:
(whole job including labor, trim, gutters, any rentals)
$2000-3500 for a new layer
$5500-$10,000 for a tear-off.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 03, 2010 01:28PM
We have about 2250 sq.ft. of living space and just had ours replaced this past winter, I know winter isn't the
best time but we got loads of rain and a couple leaks, and they removed the old ones and replaced it for
$6300. We used Owens-Corning Architectural 30 year shingles and the put down new tar paper,
a drip edge(it never had one before) and an Owens-Corning Ridge Vent on every peak. We used
O-C Oakridge series in Desert Tan color:

[roofing.owenscorning.com]

They used this Ridge Vent:

[roofing.owenscorning.com]

The only regret we've had so far is I wish I paid extra for copper flashing as they used galvanized and it's
really shiny, it'll turn eventually but I think brown patina of copper would have looked better down the
road. We've several comments that the Desert Tan narrow tab shingle look like real wood.

The people that did ours have done a lot work for us here on the farm and are fully licensed contractors.
The guy is of Amish decent and has 12 kids, at one point they had some of the girls on the roof handing
out shingles in their long dresses and hair up in bun or whatever you call it. There's a lot fly-by-night
roofers out there so be careful. We also had a roof put on my late FIL house, the old farmhouse, and it
has a steep 12/12 pitch, now that was something to watch. The shingles on that one were over 30
years old but didn't look too bad but you could tell they were very brittle when they were taking them off.
I don't suggest leaving an old roof on, tear the old one off.

I'm just glad we finally found someone we can trust to get the job done, we've dealt with some real flakes in this area.

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 03, 2010 05:27PM
Our 1150 sq ft house with a hip roof, needed a tearoff, was a bit over $6k for a 30-year composite roof, in Eastern Washington, late 2009. I'd heard really great things about the roofing contractor we'd hired, so we didn't even get estimates. No regrets.
Posted by: DaveS
Date: July 03, 2010 05:37PM
An OLD by-the-seat-of-the-pants estimate system was:

A. price of shingle/per sq. = 1/3
B. tear off = 1/3 based on A.
C. install new shingle = 1/3 based on A

Example:
$50.00 shingles/sq
$50.00 tear off per/sq
$50.00 install per/sq.
equals $150.00 per square

Note A: (close)
Posted by: Grateful1
Date: July 03, 2010 01:28PM
We have about 2250 sq.ft. of living space ....they removed the old ones and replaced it for $6300.

Note B: (not so close)
Posted by: lost in space
Our 1150 sq ft house with a hip roof, needed a tearoff, was a bit over $6k
Posted by: lipskidder
Date: July 03, 2010 06:13PM
Thanks everyone. Now I am really anticipating the estimate. I never knew they re-roofed over older shingles! Really? I always thought it was a take out the old and put in the new. I am not certain of my square footage up there but the roofer who I have worked with in the past should be able to verify what the adjuster measured. But based off of the prices you guys are throwing out there I won't have enough for the paint he also included in the estimate. Can't wait until Tuesday to get things started so I can see what I have to get done and what will be left over or left under.
Posted by: dreed2
Date: July 03, 2010 06:14PM
It cost us a little over $4,000, but we had to have two layers of old shingles removed.
Posted by: dreed2
Date: July 03, 2010 06:19PM
In our town in Massachusetts, you can only have two layers of shingles. After that, you need to remove the old layers before installing a new roof. We, unfortunately, already had two layers, so they had to come off before the new rood was installed. We have a small house that is ~800 square feet and an enclosed porch. Darned roof was leaking, so it had to be done. Good luck with your estimate!
Posted by: h linamen
Date: July 03, 2010 07:21PM
Just got an estimate for a 1900 SF house, but with 3 car garage and roofed over patio the total SF was a little over 3000SF. $10,200 to remove shingles and start with new paper... 30 year architectural shingles. I had been anticipating about $7,000 and it came in $10,200. When I questioned this reputable contractor he said these shingles were $39 per square five years ago and are now $86.
Date: July 03, 2010 07:22PM
Just another quick observation for you about shingle types - traditional 3 tabs vs architectural/dimensional shingle.
This was pointed out to me by my friend that helped me roof mine (he's a contractor)

The cost of using a dimensional may seem a lot higher at first but there is far less waste then with three tabs.
This is especially true if you have a hipped roof. The dimensional have a solid layer back and more
randomness in the pattern so you can end up using nearly all of it so you will buy less.

When we did my moms house (a hipped roof) with three tab shingles we threw away a lot of cut offs because
they would not fit the pattern. When we did my house (hipped roof) we used dimensional (the same OC's that
Grateful11 posted) and had nearly no cut offs left. Very material efficient so I got a better roof for
about the same money.

Date: July 04, 2010 04:28AM
h linamen
Just got an estimate for a 1900 SF house, but with 3 car garage and roofed over patio the total SF was a
little over 3000SF. $10,200 to remove shingles and start with new paper... 30 year architectural shingles.
I had been anticipating about $7,000 and it came in $10,200. When I questioned this reputable contractor
he said these shingles were $39 per square five years ago and are now $86.

If my memory serves me correct that's about right, $25 to $30/bundle it takes three bundles to make a
square. They went up with the price of crude when it when it hit a peak a few years ago and naturally they
never dropped the price back down. For many years it was nothing to see shingles for $10-12/bundle.
Sorta like motor oil I paid $1/qt. for most brands of Dino oil for 25 years but not anymore.

Grateful11
Date: July 04, 2010 08:21AM
Grateful11
h linamen
Just got an estimate for a 1900 SF house, but with 3 car garage and roofed over patio the total SF was a
little over 3000SF. $10,200 to remove shingles and start with new paper... 30 year architectural shingles.
I had been anticipating about $7,000 and it came in $10,200. When I questioned this reputable contractor

If my memory serves me correct that's about right, $25 to $30/bundle it takes three bundles to make a
square. They went up with the price of crude when it when it hit a peak a few years ago and naturally they
never dropped the price back down. For many years it was nothing to see shingles for $10-12/bundle.
Sorta like motor oil I paid $1/qt. for most brands of Dino oil for 25 years but not anymore.

The top end 40 year shingles are also 4 bundles to the square instead of 3 bundles.
FWIW I paid about $30 a bundle on sale at Menards. It's also hard to go by square footage
of the house because it is dependent on roof type (hip, gable, pitch, overhang size, etc ...)
Two houses of the same square footage can vary greatly on number of squares on the roof.

Date: July 04, 2010 10:51AM
lafinfil
Grateful11
h linamen

The top end 40 year shingles are also 4 bundles to the square instead of 3 bundles.
FWIW I paid about $30 a bundle on sale at Menards. It's also hard to go by square footage
of the house because it is dependent on roof type (hip, gable, pitch, overhang size, etc ...)
Two houses of the same square footage can vary greatly on number of squares on the roof.

I had the guy price 40 year shingles and decided against them. If I can get 30 out mine I'll be close to 80
if I live that long. You're right about the sq. footage thing, we've got way more hips and valleys than I
care for, out roofer rolled out a thin rubber membrane in our valleys in addition to the tar paper. I'll try
to snap a photo of ours today.

Grateful11
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: July 04, 2010 02:06PM
We replaced our roof two years ago. Ripped off two layers and then installed new paper, ridge vent, ice guard, etc, with owens corning 30 yr shingles for $6500. 2000 square foot two story house - low pitch, easy roof.

Nothing like bending over and putting on a new roof!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 04, 2010 08:07PM
I'm guessing no or it already would have been mentioned, but has anyone gotten a metal roof?

Erie Construction advertises them all the time here but I don't know anyone who has one and don't even have a ballpark on how much more it would cost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014