advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
mea culpa mea culpa: Macresource Literary and Inside Straight Club oversight!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 23, 2010 12:06AM
I totally forgot about the Macresource Literary and Inside Straight Club because our niece got married and we were traveling on a Bolt Bus the day I theoretically would have posted. I'm very sorry. In lieu of a witty announcement perhaps we can use this as a half-@#$%& version of same.

I just finished "Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. I think it's safe to say it would not be everybody's cup of tea but I tore through it. One reviewer called it John Waters combined with David Sedaris and I am going to second that motion. Burroughs was sued by the family he wrote about (he used a fake name for the family) because they said he fabricated a lot of the story, but if the article in Vanity Fair regarding the family's objections was any indication I think it was more about money than about any legitimate complaints. The thing that seemed to upset one sister the most is that Burroughs had mentioned something that actually happened. Two of the examples they gave of his "lies" were not even acccurate representations of what was written in the book. The suit was settled out of court but the book still says "memoir" on the cover so it would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall for that trial.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: mea culpa mea culpa: Macresource Literary and Inside Straight Club oversight!
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: July 23, 2010 07:51AM
I am finishing up "Night Soldiers" by Alan Furst and moving along to some beach trash, "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella. Since my body is already fried by the heat and humidity, I figure my brain might as well join the party.
Re: mea culpa mea culpa: Macresource Literary and Inside Straight Club oversight!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 23, 2010 08:20AM
re-reading Hopscotch.

slowly, like all of the books I read.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 23, 2010 08:23AM
Truth be told... I just finished "Dear John" by Nicolas Sparks getting ready to reread the "The Divide" by
Nicolas Evans.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 23, 2010 08:37AM
Reading "Willie Mays, The Life, The Legend".

Fascinating anecdotes, great sense of the turmoil of the times, as well as insights to the man himself.
Posted by: microchip
Date: July 23, 2010 08:48AM
I just finished Fight Club. Great book, works very well with the movie. I'm sort of disappointed it didn't go into even more depth about Project Mayhem, but *sigh*, oh well.

Currently reading "Can I Change Your Mind".
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 23, 2010 09:03AM
Recently finished JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy by L. Fletcher Prouty. Former military liaison to CIA with nothing but insider info on Vietnam/military industrial complex and how it eventually led to JFK's murder. Highly recommended if you like historical/political nonfiction. A little repetitive at times with some of the info, but engrossing. It was mostly about Vietnam and how the CIA turned a peaceful, rural nation into a war zone and murder-for-profit center. A simply fascinating read. The author was played by Donald Sutherland in Stone's JFK movie.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 23, 2010 10:10AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I finished one book and started another. Since $tevie originally suggested this, I finally finished the biography of Julia Child that I'd been making my way through slowly. It was good, and there was ample opportunity to drool at the images of the food, but it also dragged in a number of places. Sometimes I got the feeling the author was trying too hard to document the shift in the entire culinary world as she talked about Julia Child. Granted, Julia played a huge role in that, but it got a bit heavy on name dropping in places. I'm glad I read it, but I won't cry when it leaves to go back to its shelf in the library.

The book I finished yesterday was "Isaac's Storm". It went into print in 1999, and I'd heard about it, but this is the first time I read it. It detailed the devastating hurricane in Galvestine, TX in September of 1900. I'd recommend it, but maybe not to our friends in hurricane land right now.

Erik Larson, who wrote "Isaac's Storm" also wrote "The Devil in the White City." I've heard about this subject, and I might have read an abridged version somewhere, and I'm anxious to start this one. Inside the front cover: "(Erik Larson) tells the spellbinding true story of two men, an architect and a serial killer, whose fates were linked by the greatest fair in American history: The Chicago World's Fair of 1893, nicknamed "The White City."

Sounds good, huh? smiling smiley

Oh, and I'm still working on the Joan Rivers' book, "Murder at the Academy Awards." I'm only about a third of the way into it, but it's pretty easy to put down. I will say, though, that I can almost hear Joan Rivers narrating this thing, so maybe there's some kind of writing gift in that. It's not a bad book, but it definitely falls into the light reading category. It's also a paperback, so it'll be going with me to the doctor today. Hardbacks have to stay home.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 23, 2010 10:20AM
I just picked up a copy of Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine".
Date: July 23, 2010 11:28AM
AlphaDog
Erik Larson, who wrote "Isaac's Storm" also wrote "The Devil in the White City." I've heard about this subject, and I might have read an abridged version somewhere, and I'm anxious to start this one. Inside the front cover: "(Erik Larson) tells the spellbinding true story of two men, an architect and a serial killer, whose fates were linked by the greatest fair in American history: The Chicago World's Fair of 1893, nicknamed "The White City."

A friend of mine read "The Devil in the White City" and loved it. It's another book in my pile on the nightstand. Maybe I'll pull it up to the top of the pile. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 11:28AM by $tevie.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 23, 2010 12:02PM
microchip
I just finished Fight Club. Great book, works very well with the movie. I'm sort of disappointed it didn't go into even more depth about Project Mayhem, but *sigh*, oh well.

After seeing the movie I was convinced the author had been influenced by the San Francisco Suicide Club.

From wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

"The Cacophony Society is “a randomly gathered network of free spirits united in the pursuit of experiences beyond the pale of mainstream society.” It was started in 1986 by surviving members of the now defunct Suicide Club of San Francisco."

and

"Possibly the most widely known Cacophony member is novelist Chuck Palahniuk, who has mentioned his experiences with the Society in his writings, notably the bookFugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon. He used the Cacophony Society as the basis for the fictional organization Project Mayhem in his novel Fight Club. Palahniuk himself was pranked by a gang of Cacophonist waiters at one of his book readings in San Francisco.[1]"

Todd's keyboard
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 23, 2010 12:13PM
Like Gutenberg, I've been reading Alan Furst. Just finished "Spies of the Balkans" his latest. A very good book about the prelude to the German invasion of Greece. I read the last 30 pages or so in one tense sitting, waiting to see how the story would end.

All of Furst's novels about the beginnings of WWII are very good. He concentrates on the stories of more or less ordinary people as they get caught up in clandestine activity.

Now I may make another stab at "Against the day" by Thomas Pynchon. That sucker is a thousand pages long and kind of daunting. At my age, you start to wonder if you'll live long enough to finish something like that.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:14PM by blooz.
Posted by: laarree
Date: July 23, 2010 12:32PM
$tevie
I just finished "Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. I think it's safe to say it would not be everybody's cup of tea but I tore through it. One reviewer called it John Waters combined with David Sedaris and I am going to second that motion. Burroughs was sued by the family he wrote about (he used a fake name for the family) because they said he fabricated a lot of the story, but if the article in Vanity Fair regarding the family's objections was any indication I think it was more about money than about any legitimate complaints. The thing that seemed to upset one sister the most is that Burroughs had mentioned something that actually happened. Two of the examples they gave of his "lies" were not even acccurate representations of what was written in the book. The suit was settled out of court but the book still says "memoir" on the cover so it would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall for that trial.

I've read all of Burrough's tragi-comical non-fiction books (RWS, Dry, Magical Thinking, Possible Side Effects, A Wolf at the Table) and his brother John Robison's memoir too ("Look Me in The Eye" ) . Powerful stuff. The brothers came from a very gifted and deeply troubled family. Let's not forget that our recently departed dear comrade, MacGurl, had this Burroughs quote in her signature in recent months: "I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions." (from "Magical Thinking" ) .

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 12:33PM by laarree.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 23, 2010 12:50PM
AD and $tevie,

I've read both Isaac's Storm and The Devil in the White City. Both were excellent. If you enjoyed those and like Larson's style of writing, mixing two plot lines, you should read Thunderstuck, which I think is his most recent book.

I read a few years ago that Tom Cruise bought the movie rights to The Devil in the White City and wanted to play the main character (the doctor, not the architect). I haven't heard anything about that since.
Posted by: laarree
Date: July 23, 2010 01:11PM
I just finished an enjoyable novel named "Satan Wants Me" by Robert Irwin. devil smiley Structured in the form of a diary, a counter-culturally inclined sociology graduate student in London c. 1967 dabbles his way deeper and deeper into a serious involvement with an occultist lodge which is a spinoff of the sect spawned by Aleister Crowley. Very creepy, well-written, unpredictable and set amidst an evocatively illustrated world of the acid-dropping, rock-and-roll infused, new age dawning subculture of late-60s England and its overlap with old-school British mysticism.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 01:27PM by laarree.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: July 23, 2010 01:19PM
$tevie
A friend of mine read "The Devil in the White City" and loved it. It's another book in my pile on the nightstand. Maybe I'll pull it up to the top of the pile. smiling smiley

Excellent book! Pulled an all-nighter on that one last summer.

I just started "So Brave, Young and Handsome" by Leif Enger. (Author of Peace Like a River.) It's on my son's required summer reading list, so thought I'd join him.

Please keep the recommendations coming...
Posted by: dmann
Date: July 23, 2010 04:50PM
Devil in the White City was practically required reading here in Chicago when it came out. Excellent read and I always think about it now when I drive around the parts of the city highlighted in the story.

Just finished "Sarah's Key", Holocaust fiction focusing on a French roundup of Jews that was done by the French police, not the Nazis. It was interesting but not fantastic.

Am torn between starting "Cutting for Stone" which has been VERY highly recommended by several people and was a b-day gift and "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Will pick one or the other before the night is done.

DM
Posted by: Black
Date: July 23, 2010 06:42PM
$tevie
AlphaDog

I've started it a few times . . . wish I had the patience to finish it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: July 23, 2010 06:44PM
$tevie
I totally forgot about the Macresource Literary and Inside Straight Club because our niece got married and we were traveling on a Bolt Bus the day I theoretically would have posted. I'm very sorry. In lieu of a witty announcement perhaps we can use this as a half-@#$%& version of same.

I was part of a book club (which subsequently exploded in drama but I did take away a good friend) about 6 years ago that read this.
As I recall, it was an easy read . . . a little difficult to swallow as a true story in places though.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Grace62
Date: July 23, 2010 07:06PM
dmann
Devil in the White City was practically required reading here in Chicago when it came out. Excellent read and I always think about it now when I drive around the parts of the city highlighted in the story.

Just finished "Sarah's Key", Holocaust fiction focusing on a French roundup of Jews that was done by the French police, not the Nazis. It was interesting but not fantastic.

Am torn between starting "Cutting for Stone" which has been VERY highly recommended by several people and was a b-day gift and "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Will pick one or the other before the night is done.

DM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is horribly violent and shocking,
I was going to read that too but was warned off by several people whose opinions about books I respect...They didn't think the overall plot was worth enduring the traumatic violence. Reader beware.
Posted by: dmann
Date: July 23, 2010 07:16PM
Grace62
dmann

DM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is horribly violent and shocking,
I was going to read that too but was warned off by several people whose opinions about books I respect...They didn't think the overall plot was worth enduring the traumatic violence. Reader beware.

Thanks for the heads-up. I generally don't go for violence at all and had heard it was a very tough read. My stepmom, who usually doesn't go for that genre either really liked it, so I said I'd give it a try. We'll see how far I get with it.

DM
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 23, 2010 09:27PM
Just finished Hunting Eichmann by Neal Bascomb (2009). Good account of the tracking and capture of the Nazi master of deportation of Jews to concentration camps during WWII. Like all such endeavors, serendipitous discoveries meant the difference between success and failure.

Also finished Fatal Terrain by Dale Brown (1997). Just escapist reading.

Alas, my vacation is over. Not much time for reading during the year.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2010 11:01PM
reading a bunch of Jules Verne books. There has been a movement over the past 2 decades to re-translate from his original manuscripts, which are in french.

Almost everything printed in english are multi-generational translations, and some are VERY poorly done. The original Verne French manuscript version of "20,000 Leagues" is 23% longer. They tossed out complete chapters.

Look for versions done by Walter James Miller. Vice Chairman of the North American Jules Verne Society.
Date: July 23, 2010 11:26PM
Racer X
reading a bunch of Jules Verne books. There has been a movement over the past 2 decades to re-translate from his original manuscripts, which are in french.

Almost everything printed in english are multi-generational translations, and some are VERY poorly done. The original Verne French manuscript version of "20,000 Leagues" is 23% longer. They tossed out complete chapters.

Look for versions done by Walter James Miller. Vice Chairman of the North American Jules Verne Society.
\

This is very interesting. I had no idea!

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 24, 2010 12:24AM

reading a bunch of Jules Verne books. There has been a movement over the past 2 decades to re-translate from his original manuscripts, which are in french...

I've enjoyed revisiting some of these as well. A few years ago I listened to Patrick Tull read Around the World in 80 Days and it was splendid, much better than I remembered--wonder if it was a Miller translation? Audible.com has some of Verne's books narrated in Italian!

For summer reading, I just finished Teatime for the Traditionally Built, one of the Botswana stories (cozy) by Alexander McCall Smith. Am almost done with Passage by Connie Willis (not so cozy).

Plus, I'm listening to the Harry Potter series (just began H.P. and the Order of the Phoenix) narrated by Jim Dale, who does a wonderful job with so many different voices. I'd love to hear one of the Stephen Fry versions, though.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 24, 2010 02:00AM
Perhaps we should also have a day for just listing favorite authors, even short reviews, of books mindless or otherwise *(:>*

One observation I have found true:

"stuff that some may define as mindless may be the key to a life of reading"

Rudie *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020