Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $517.96 ( -3.72 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
twins? one Down syndrome, one not?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 25, 2010 07:51PM
I know someone with 2 kids that appear to be the same, age. I think they're twins, but I am not sure. One is normal, one has Down syndrome. So is it possible that twins, one comes out normal, one with Down syndrome?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: twins? one Down syndrome, one not?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 25, 2010 07:59PM
If they are fraternal twins I don't see why that couldn't happen. Same as how you can have twins that are one boy and one girl.

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 25, 2010 08:06PM
It could happen with identical twins, too, if the trisomy happens after the zygote splits into twins.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 25, 2010 08:18PM
Mike Johnson
It could happen with identical twins, too, if the trisomy happens after the zygote splits into twins.

Mike, not exactly -- the trisomy is usually a result of nondisjunction during meiosis of the egg or sperm, which happens before fertilization. However, just like with anything, there can be rare cases where ANYTHING can happen...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 25, 2010 08:21PM
I know a pair of twins where one brother has Chrone's, ADD, Asperger's and is bipolar. (this has all been diagnosed, and is being treated with our tax dollars) The other twin is about 6" taller and completely normal.

Why a 45 yo woman with a meth-tweaker BF thinks having a baby is a good idea, is beyond me. And then its twins.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 25, 2010 09:06PM
PeterB
Mike, not exactly -- the trisomy is usually a result of nondisjunction during meiosis of the egg or sperm, which happens before fertilization. However, just like with anything, there can be rare cases where ANYTHING can happen...

If it's possible, could you repeat this in English, please?confused smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: July 25, 2010 09:14PM

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 09:15PM by Black.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 25, 2010 09:22PM
Keep in mind DD children often have abnormal growth patterns, so unless you know for sure the two are twins,the difference in size might just be a reflection of the condition.

I saw something bizarre on the news within the last week. The woman is currently pregnant with two children who are not twins. She's one of an exceedingly small number of women who have two uteruses (yes, I know that word is probably misspelled but I don't care at this minute.) She did get pregnant at two different times, so there are two due dates.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 25, 2010 09:32PM
AlphaDog
I saw something bizarre on the news within the last week. The woman is currently pregnant with two children who are not twins. She's one of an exceedingly small number of women who have two uteruses (yes, I know that word is probably misspelled but I don't care at this minute.) She did get pregnant at two different times, so there are two due dates.

I can't even imagine how weird that must be. To think that she will deliver one and then have to go back later and deliver the other, well that just boggles my mind completely.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 25, 2010 09:39PM
would she need 2 cervical caps for proper birth control? How is her monthly menstrual bleeding?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 25, 2010 09:50PM
PeterB

Not only could it happen, it has.

Monozygotic twins with discordant karyotypes: a case report

Colm P.F. O'Donnell, MRCPI, MRCPCH, Mark D. Pertile, BSc, FHGSA, Leslie J. Sheffield, MBBS, FRACP, Amanda Sampson, MBBS, FRANZCOG
Received 18 December 2003; received in revised form 11 May 2004; accepted 4 June 2004.

A monochorionic twin pregnancy had normal male karyotype on chorionic villous sampling. At delivery, one twin presented as morphologically normal, the other as trisomy 21. A twinning event and chromosome division error shortly after conception resulted in monozygotic twins with discordant tissue karyotypes and blood chromosome chimerism for trisomy 21.

There's other cases out there but I don't feel any urge to look them up. Like I said, it could happen. I stand by that "exactly."

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 25, 2010 09:53PM
rgG
AlphaDog

I can't even imagine how weird that must be. To think that she will deliver one and then have to go back later and deliver the other, well that just boggles my mind completely.

Saw the same story the other day. Fortunately the calculated due dates are only a few days apart, so both will probably be delivered at the same time.
Date: July 25, 2010 11:23PM
Mike Johnson
PeterB

Colm P.F. O'Donnell, MRCPI, MRCPCH, Mark D. Pertile, BSc, FHGSA, Leslie J. Sheffield, MBBS, FRACP, Amanda Sampson, MBBS, FRANZCOG
Received 18 December 2003; received in revised form 11 May 2004; accepted 4 June 2004.

A monochorionic twin pregnancy had normal male karyotype on chorionic villous sampling. At delivery, one twin presented as morphologically normal, the other as trisomy 21. A twinning event and chromosome division error shortly after conception resulted in monozygotic twins with discordant tissue karyotypes and blood chromosome chimerism for trisomy 21.

There's other cases out there but I don't feel any urge to look them up. Like I said, it could happen. I stand by that "exactly."

"Could" does not in any way equal "likely". Just making that clear...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 11:25PM by PeterB.
Date: July 25, 2010 11:33PM
Ammo
PeterB

If it's possible, could you repeat this in English, please?confused smiley

Translation ... during the formation of sperm and egg, the cells and chromosomes divide. One copy of each of a pair of chromosomes (for example, chromosome 21) should separate and each go in one "direction", so that the sperm or egg only has one of each chromosome... but rarely, rather than each of a pair going in one "direction", both of the pair go in the same direction, resulting in a sperm or egg than has two copies of a given chromosome, rather than one. If that sperm or egg is used for fertilization, then another of that same chromosome will be provided by the partner's sperm or egg, resulting in three copies of that chromosome rather than two... referred to as trisomy of that chromosome. [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 11:34PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 26, 2010 12:54AM
Mike Johnson
PeterB

Wow, that's even quirkier than it seems at first glance: both twins are mosaic in their blood DNA -- meaning that both twins have both normal and trisomy 21 cells circulating in their blood. This is not so strange in a pair of monochorionic twins, but it does raise the question of whether any other tissues might be mosaic in one or both of the twins as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 12:55AM by Janit.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 26, 2010 03:14AM
Think zebras.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 26, 2010 07:27AM
space-time
I know someone with 2 kids that appear to be the same, age. I think they're twins, but I am not sure. One is normal, one has Down syndrome. So is it possible that twins, one comes out normal, one with Down syndrome?

Identical is relative.

and, yes.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 26, 2010 11:26AM
Speedy
Think zebras.

Are you referring to hoofbeats outside your window? winking smiley

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login