advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Q to the Selfish Elitists re your iPad (you Pigs!)
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: July 27, 2010 11:38AM
I've owned MBP, MBAir, iBooks, but still have only logged a few minutes a few times trying out an iPad. Initial impression was of a highly portable nice screen that's a pita* to write much with.

Now that you've lived w/it for a while, and gotten wealthier, more educated, more self-centered, less charitable, and fatter with every use, how would you rate your comfort level w/it's functionality? As compared for example to a laptop you may own or prev owned which was probably a 10 out of 10 in ease of use.

I haven't used an iPhone either, so I'm inexperienced w/the whole OS, which in it's foreign-ness to me, seems klutzy cf to the keyboard shortcuts etc I'm used to. I don't intend to type a novel on one, but would appreciate comments re your regular daily note-taking, cut/pasting, etc stuff.

*(I struggled w/even a few paragraphs and the inevitable typo editing, sometimes it seemed unable -unwilling?-to allow me to select at the exact spot needed to cut...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 11:38AM by Psurfer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Q to the Selfish Elitists re your iPad (you Pigs!)
Posted by: billb
Date: July 27, 2010 11:44AM
I've only seen one iPad in the wild so far and the user was feverishly typing with his thumbs.
60mph down the highway in a pickup truck , steering with his forearms.

How hard can it be ? :-)
Posted by: kap
Date: July 27, 2010 11:48AM
iPhone and iPad are over prized toys to me. Gimme a BookAir any day thumbsup smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: hotdogthemovie
Date: July 27, 2010 11:54AM
I pre-ordered the WiFi 16GB model, with the thought that I had about a month to cancel the order if I decided I did not want it. Well, by the time I made the decision to cancel the order, it had already shipped earlier that day!

Initial impressions were that it was nice, but only a bit more handy than my iPod Touch. Since then, I have sold a MBP and a MB on CL, and the iPad is now my portable computer that I use exclusively when I travel. I have a Mini HTPC with all my pics, movies, etc, and the iPad moves with me to the couch, bed, patio.

I rarely miss my laptops...
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: July 27, 2010 01:13PM
I just got one over the weekend and I agree that typing on it is ... different. I have to get used to typing on it. But it's an amazing piece of technology. It's much handier to read news and articles on it than my iPhone. I haven't really played all that much with it but it looks pretty amazing so far. I'm planning on getting rid of my MB and getting an iMac to replace it since the iPad is now my primary portable.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: July 27, 2010 03:33PM
Saw at least a dozen in the wild traveling this summer. I love my for that purpose--great for anyone stuck on planes or waiting in airports. To me, it's a Kindle/Ipod/portable movie player/handheld crossword puzzle that also goes online. I teach online and use the Blackboard app to type discussion board responses and email, and I have little trouble doing so, although I take the Air for longer trips (for paper grading) along with the iPad.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 27, 2010 04:19PM
I'm able to type on it quite well using four fingers on each hand. A few mistakes, but nothing that I couldn't edit.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 27, 2010 04:23PM
My daughter, who has small hands, tried the iPad but much prefers her iTouch for texting. All thumbs and such.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 27, 2010 07:47PM
My family loves this iPad. Fantastic entertainment device during traveling and surfing.

I think it's a totally new product category.

When I travel for work, I use this MBP for long web surfing work and other office-related tasks.

But I use the iPad for short-term internet needs - like quick emailing or surfing.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 28, 2010 11:50AM
I think my wife's iPad is great. I've said before get a Pogo Stylus and things are way easier. I two finger type
anyway so no biggie for me.

Posted with iPad
Posted by: abevilac
Date: July 28, 2010 03:03PM
My husband just started to take his to work and he is loving it; I get to play w/ it when it comes home from work each night and sits in his briefcase by the door. Even though I have a Mac Mini / HDTV in the living room, I much prefer to use the iPad for surfing and even watching some videos like TED videos.

Great little machine. We may get another one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020