Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $567.77 ( +43.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Clearing a main line clog (slow drain)
Posted by: norse
Date: May 10, 2006 10:30PM
My 25' snake does not reach the clog. No closer clean out.
Plunging does not work.
I've tried a bottle of main line cleaner (enzyme) by Roebec.

I don't have a truck to rent a larger snake.

Anything else before calling a plumber at $140?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Clearing a main line clog (slow drain)
Posted by: Phy
Date: May 10, 2006 10:46PM
Yes, try several kettles full of boiling water. Pour down the drain one after another. This always works for me!
Date: May 10, 2006 10:57PM
OK, now to find 4 large pots for the 4 burners on the stove.

Does boiling water affect (melt) the PVC pipes?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: May 10, 2006 11:59PM
As handy as plastic pipe is, sagging waste lines are common, and getting commoner. It's possible you'll have a clog every four or five years, so it might be time to think about buying some heavy duty gear.

Boiling water could affect your pipes, I guess. If you stick ABS in boiling water, it will soften. But it doesn't melt like PVC. (If your waste line is white PVC instead of ABS/Schedule 40, you've got big problem.)

Anyhow, lots of people do use boiling water and I've never heard of it causing a problem with ABS. Bleach can also help if you let it sit overnight -- think of how a little bleach can disintegrate a kitchen sponge.

Be careful with a snake. Some snakes, especially older ones, are aggressive and can chew up the inside of a plastic pipe.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 11, 2006 12:12AM
Home Depot rents trucks for like $20 or $25. Or if you have no HD, check your local car/truck rental place; negotiate the price to $20-25. Some money to them is better than no money. If the larger snake rental is affordable, and since you know what you're doing, I'd go that route if I were you. And yeah, I'd try the enzymes,and the boiling water...just don't use any liquid plumr crap. Seems like you already know that.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 11, 2006 06:43AM
I don't think anyone needs a truck for a large snake from a rental. My friends own tool rentals and they have plenty that you can toss in your car. Unless, of course, you are saying you don't want one in your car. But that's your decision. You could try gallons of drain cleaner first.

see, this 50' is not a large item:
[www.rentalhq.com]

Look at these dimensions:
[www.amazon.com]

should fit in everything but a girlie miata or s2000. smiling smiley

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 11, 2006 08:15AM
Plastic Piping

[www.cheresources.com]

I don't think you're going to melt PVC with boiling water not according to this:

MSDS pdfs available here:

[www.charlottepipe.com]

The melting point of PVC is 390 degrees F.

The melting point of ABS is 400 degrees F.

Virtually eveyone I know uses PVC schedule 80 pipe for like
4" drain lines and schedule 40 for smaller stuff. Boiling
water doesn't even melt the little thin plastic tailpipe out
the bottom of a sink.

Grateful11
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 11, 2006 09:13AM
What's wrong with liquid plumr? It's always worked well for me, but it's usually been small hair clogs near the sink....
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 11, 2006 09:34AM
What about that disgusting ad on TV with the hair glog landing in
someones plate from the air blast drain cleaner?

[www.liquid-plumr.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

The last time I had a bad clog in the bathroom sink it was
just hair wrapped around the stopper lever.

Grateful11
Posted by: jesse
Date: May 11, 2006 10:24AM
We rented a power snake a few monthes ago, it would have easily fit into a car (trunk or hatchback). My husband had to haul it up to the roof, since that is where our clean out is.

jesse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 04:59PM by jesse.
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: May 11, 2006 03:58PM
We call any one of several Rotor-Rooter type concerns. They usually charge something like $60. And they have 50'+ snakes.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 11, 2006 03:59PM
Liquid Plumbr stuff is caustic and if it doesn't get the clog out, it rots your pipes. This from more than one certified plumber. The enzyme stuff, used regularly as preventive maintenance, is the best bet.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 12, 2006 03:13PM
I am curious about these enzyme cleaners but Googling for Roebec didn't pan out.

I'm a little late to the party, but can you or maybe SteveO or someone else tell me about enzyme cleaners? Recommended brands?

norse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've tried a bottle of main line cleaner (enzyme) by Roebec.
Date: May 12, 2006 06:41PM
>>If you stick ABS in boiling water, it will soften. But it doesn't melt like PVC. (If your waste line is white PVC instead of ABS/Schedule 40, you've got big problem.)

Actually I probably have ABS pipes and not PVC.

>>Home Depot rents trucks for like $20 or $25.

I thought about this and then renting a power snake. Somewhat of a hassle to do two rentals and then finding out it doesn't work or I screw up the pipes.

>>I don't think anyone needs a truck for a large snake from a rental. My friends own tool rentals and they have plenty that you can toss in your car.

Small trunk in my Saturn. Not sure 50' is enough. Plus it's dirty!!

>>We call any one of several Rotor-Rooter type concerns. They usually charge something like $60.

$60?? They want $160 over the phone.

>>I am curious about these enzyme cleaners but Googling for Roebec didn't pan out.

I may have the wrong spelling on Roebec. Try Googling with "pipe clog enzymes".

I'll try the boiling water this weekend and see what rental would cost me. Or pay the bucks for a professional.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll post results.
Date: May 12, 2006 10:06PM
>>Liquid Plumbr stuff is caustic and if it doesn't get the clog out, it rots your pipes. This from more than one certified plumber.

I was told that Drano or Liquid Plumber won't work because they become too diluted by the time it reaches the clog.

I was just at Walmart and they had a product by Scotch similar to Drano/Liquid Plumber for $10. It is for main line and lateral lines. It's a gallon bottle that had a 100% money back guarantee. I'm not sure if I want to try it or not if the boiling water doesn't work. Nothing to lose except for possible damage to the pipes as SteveO said.

The product description and directions sound much stronger than the other products.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login