advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pumpkins
Posted by: kap
Date: July 28, 2010 08:49PM
My potential patch of pumpkins! These are barely 3 weeks old.

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pumpkins
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2010 09:00PM
May they grow to Great Pumpkin size !
Date: July 28, 2010 09:06PM
We are, too, hoping that there will be many fruits. They will be for a small group of young children to enjoy.
It's my first attempt ever. If successful, I switch career ;)

SoCal for now.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 28, 2010 09:16PM
you'll have pumpkins in December!

(I keed, but not much)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:55PM
mrbigstuff
you'll have pumpkins in December!

(I keed, but not much)
Ok. Pumpkin pies for Xmas then. Not that we know how to make one grinning smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 28, 2010 11:45PM
Be careful, some turn feral if you don't raise them right. I'd hate to read in the paper that you were gourd to death while gardening.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 29, 2010 10:10AM
Last years' "seasonal display" pumpkin in our garden lasted intact through the winter (South Carolina coastal region), then rotted in early spring. I threw away the husk, but the innards got mulched over. Many seeds sprouted (50-100 I'd guess) and most bloomed. Not ONE set a fruit. Are the commercial pumpkins sterile hybrids?
Posted by: billb
Date: July 29, 2010 10:38AM
stressed plants can sometimes have just male flowers (the upright ones ) instead of both

I'm having that problem with zuchinis - nice healthy green plants with just male flowers. 2 zuchinis from 12 plants and that was three weeks ago. A few feet away the Summer squash are doing fine.

I added blood meal to raise nitrogen content because a soil test indicated extremely low and I also added a lot of compost that was really low on nitrigen.
I'm thinking the zuchini may have prefered the nitrogen weak soil.
The Summer squash are in non-amended soil...
Date: July 29, 2010 11:45AM
How do we test the soil?

SoCal for now.
Date: July 29, 2010 12:07PM
I've used several like the ones reviewed here: [www.waynesthisandthat.com]

I agree that they are only relatively useful and only as good as he sample you take.

The other test is to stick some seed in the ground and see what you get.

----------
That's going to be a bunch of roots all competing over the same nutrients and moisture and maybe even sunlight bunched up like that.
Are you planning on thinning them out a little ?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 29, 2010 12:31PM
billb

I'm having that problem with zuchinis - nice healthy green plants with just male flowers. 2 zuchinis from 12 plants and that was three weeks ago. A few feet away the Summer squash are doing fine.

i planted a summer squash and so far it has produced only one gourd for all the space it is taking up! i just told my son i'm half inclined to pull that low producing slacker up. OTOH, the cucumber plant right next to it has been going gangbusters. i can't figure it out.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 29, 2010 01:56PM
billb
stressed plants can sometimes have just male flowers (the upright ones ) instead of both

I added blood meal to raise nitrogen content because a soil test indicated extremely low and I also added a lot of compost that was really low on nitrigen.
I'm thinking the zuchini may have prefered the nitrogen weak soil.
The Summer squash are in non-amended soil...

hey, how did you avoid the white mildew? Mine are covered in it. I sprayed a mixture of baking soda and soap onto the leaves and that seemed to eliminate it. On the top. When I looked at the bottom of the leaves after a week of spraying, I found it covered in mildew. Ugh.
I did get one nice fruit and then nothing. I see yesterday that a couple have started. I'm not sure how long the plants will survive, however.
Date: July 29, 2010 02:24PM
No mildew yet.
maybe the hilled plants, maybe the heat and dry weather, maybe the sunniest spot in the garden

pretty sure I've got late blight kinda early on the tomatoes, though.

I am trying sterilize a patch of garden soil with clear plastic.
I think it's not gettting hot enough to sterilize though, the crabgrass is pushing the plastic up. I don't think that's supposed to be happening.

Luck with some things this year, no luck with others.

I'm on my fourth planting of carrots, beats and spinach.
The seeds don't sprout well and a damned rabbit gets in past the fence some how and eats the tops of those that do sprout.

Got a friggin squirrel eating my pears, too.
Spits out all the chewed fruit to get the seeds.
Sits on the fence post and spits the pear meat out on the top of the summer squash leaves.

Hoping to get nets on them this weekend to see if that deters them/ it. They can be persistant little buggers, though especially if they are hungry. Will chew through a net.
I had a jumper jumping 30 feet onto my bird feeder.
I cut all the branches off the tree me and my 28 foot ladder could reach.
Next step was to install pointy spikes on top of the feeder.
Ouch.

I have a havahart trap somewhere.
Date: July 29, 2010 03:25PM
Gosh, that much work just for small garden? No wonder the price of fruits and vegs are always so high.

SoCal for now.
Date: July 30, 2010 09:19AM
kap
Gosh, that much work just for small garden? No wonder the price of fruits and vegs are always so high.
Yeah , back yard fruit and vegetable production can be a rather expensive hobby.
Even with the really cheap labor.
I freeze quite a bit and when I figure the cost(s) the only advantage left is I know what has been sprayed and not sprayed on them.

Every year is a new challenge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020