advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why is it ok for Moto to bash Apple but Apple can't bash Moto?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 29, 2010 12:09PM
Motorola rolls out another rip on Apple. When Apple replied, there were some on here that said Apple was acting like M$. So are you saying it is ok for Moto to bash on Apple but Apple shouldn't point out the death grip happens on their phones too?

[www.engadget.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 12:12PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why is it ok for Moto to bash Apple but Apple can't bash Moto?
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: July 29, 2010 12:29PM
I agree with you to a point.

People's view of Apple affects how that exchange is perceived.

When Apple was "beleaguered" and "doomed", Apple was often viewed sympathetically as the underdog.

Apple's seen as the big boy now, and some of its actions are seen as arrogant and bullying.
Posted by: pinion
Date: July 29, 2010 12:31PM
What bothers me is Apple is defending their crappy design by saying "Look, a bunch of other phones have the same problem!" I don't care, I'm not buying those other phones. I'm buying Apple and I expect nothing short of the industry best in design, usability, and functionality. Dropping calls by shorting out an antenna with my finger is unacceptable and putting a case on it and pointing the finger at other phones is not what I expect from Apple. Period.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 29, 2010 12:38PM
pinion
What bothers me is Apple is defending their crappy design by saying "Look, a bunch of other phones have the same problem!" I don't care, I'm not buying those other phones. I'm buying Apple and I expect nothing short of the industry best in design, usability, and functionality. Dropping calls by shorting out an antenna with my finger is unacceptable and putting a case on it and pointing the finger at other phones is not what I expect from Apple. Period.

Do you actually own the phone and experience that problem, or are you just repeating what you read?

I own a Toyota Prius, I've never experienced any problems with the floor mats or gas pedal, and don't know anyone else who has, but the press reports about it were similar to what I'm reading about the iPhone.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 29, 2010 01:34PM
Apple is the big guy now and is the target. That's a good thing as it keeps Apple on their toes and dammit, They're The Big Guy Now. It's what those of us buying Macs in 1996 could only *dream* of.

That said, I see the antenna issue on an iPhone 4 I'm testing. Put it in my original iPhone 2G silicone case and no signal drop.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 29, 2010 11:01PM
pinion
What bothers me is Apple is defending their crappy design by saying "Look, a bunch of other phones have the same problem!" I don't care, I'm not buying those other phones. I'm buying Apple and I expect nothing short of the industry best in design, usability, and functionality.

And that's what you get.

Dropping calls by shorting out an antenna with my finger is unacceptable

Yes, it would be, if it happened to you.

Here you go, pinion:
Norway's largest paper: iPhone 4 Antennagate is a US problem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 11:27PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: July 30, 2010 06:55AM
Wow, I almost feel personally attacked here. I do own the phone and I have had it happen to me. More frustrating than that though is the fact AT&T signal doesn't seem to get in my building here at work. If I stand by the window I can get a signal but I have to make sure I don't touch the magic spot to use it.

GGD, ArAcc: Do either of you have the phone? I can see your need to call me out and defend Apple and maybe I should have followed up my post with this. I love Apple. I love my iPhone and Macs. I won't stop buying their stuff. I'm loyal to the brand and that's why if I'm dissappointed I feel like I should be able to rant in a forum geared towards other people who are of like mind. I'm not going over to the Droid forums and bashing Apple. I'm talking about people who should understand the occasional frustration.

99.7% of the time this phone is awesome and I do believe it is the best out there. But I also see that this whole thing with the iPhone 4 that's not even a big deal most the time for most people has really hurt. Many of the people I know are getting an Android based phone because they don't want the trouble they've heard about with the iPhone or with AT&T. It's hard to argue with them when I drop my call at work.

And really my main complaint out of everything isn't that my phone will drop calls in the one spot at work where I can actually get a signal. It's that Apple is defending themselves by attacking other phone makers. That's the same as getting in trouble when you're little and pointing at your brother and saying, "He was doing it too!"

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: July 30, 2010 08:45AM
Thanks for the feedback.

pinion
Many of the people I know are getting an Android based phone because they don't want the trouble they've heard about with the iPhone or with AT&T.

Exactly, and won't they be surprised when their new Android phone also drops calls! Dropped calls on cell phones in general are a fact of life.

Despite that, as you have illustrated, competitors' FUD has done its job and a certain set of people will miss out on the best mobile experience available because of it. Too bad.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 30, 2010 10:36AM
That ad does NOT fall within my definition of bashing.
Poking, yes. Bashing, no.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 30, 2010 01:56PM
Go home and massage the S/O's hot spot now, kay ?

All's fair in love / war / phone competition.
Date: July 30, 2010 03:38PM
Date: July 30, 2010 04:58PM
And yet one more (video, CTV Canada):

Reviewing the newly released iPhone 4

So, Norwegian, Australian, and Canadian reviewers say there are no antenna issues. I'm beginning to see a pattern here...
Posted by: JJ
Date: August 01, 2010 01:21PM
I am also unhappy that Apple hasn't designed the best phone antenna. Add that to the lack of product availability in the UK and I am now considering staying with my original iphone or looking into and android phone.

Apple innovates and I like that, but I am not going to stay with them if they can't deliver the goods.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own an iPhone 4 yet. As mentioned in my post they are difficult to get in the UK.

JJ
Date: August 02, 2010 06:58AM
JJ, the man who turned me onto Macintosh and Apple, considering going Android. What has this world come to?

Date: August 02, 2010 10:07PM
JJ
I am also unhappy that Apple hasn't designed the best phone antenna.

You should be even more unhappy that you been misinformed, JJ.

Yet another:

[www.pcmag.com]
"I have been inside similar testing facilities in Japan, Korea, and the
Midwest. Apple's setup was that most sophisticated I have ever seen. This
fact was driven home for me when an executive from another handset
company told me that, at first, his company was elated that Apple had made
such a 'misstep' with the iPhone 4's antenna.

"However, once the company realized that Apple had actually created a real
breakthrough with its latest antenna design, the joy was short-lived. That
fact became even more clear during subsequent conversations with two
other top-notch antenna designers. They told me that Apple's antenna is
best-in-breed and predicted that other manufacturers will be forced to try
to match it in the future."
Posted by: JJ
Date: August 05, 2010 11:02AM
I am not misinformed Article Accelerator. Apple has obviously not designed the best phone antenna.

That is what I said and that is what I meant.

I agree with Steve Jobs when he says "We are not perfect".

Perhaps you can agree that Apple's antenna is not "the best"?

JJ
Date: August 08, 2010 11:15PM
I'm not qualified to make that judgement, JJ. If we can believe the hearsay quote in the blog article I cited, some that are qualified think the iPhone 4's antenna is the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020