Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.02 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Foam Gutter protection - does it work?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 31, 2010 11:52PM
I was in Costco and saw this large-cell foam for rain gutters. Couldn't find it on Costco's site, but this looks like the same stuff at Ace Hardware, only twice as much. Supposed to let the water through, but keep out leaves and junk. It would be great to not need to get up a on a ladder twice a year to clean out the gutters. Any of you folks used it or heard anything about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2010 11:54PM by lost in space.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Foam Gutter protection - does it work?
Posted by: LyleH
Date: August 01, 2010 12:33AM
I installed the stuff from AceHdwe. over about a year's time. The reason I did this was to see how well they would work on each section of the gutters. Its easy to put up, and if the rods that hold up your gutter are 4 feet apart, you can easily install full pieces without cutting between the gutter rods. Then at the ends that are less than 4 feet you just need to cut the gutter stuff with a scissors to size it to fit. Or you can slip the gutter stuff under the rods as I did in several areas.

I just did one gutter at a time so I could figure out if it was worth the trouble. I did not put any on the second story gutters, because I just let the debris that goes into them flow down the downspouts to the lower gutters. I don't have a screen on the downspouts of the upper gutters to drain the gunk to the lower gutters. For me, not as much debris goes into the upper gutters. But I might do them sometime.

I have 3 fir trees that shed needles and little pinecones like mad, and the gutter stuff keeps the debris out of the gutters. About a month ago I cleaned off the tops of the gutter stuff, and I expect to do that once annually. So I believe there is some maintenance.

For me they're effective. About 2 weeks ago I saw at AceHdwe. that they were selling the 4-foot sections individually for $9.99. I paid $15.99 apiece, and this current price was the first decrease I've seen in about 2 years. I have no idea how long they will last.

LyleH
Date: August 01, 2010 12:57AM
Posted by: Mr645
Date: August 01, 2010 07:58AM
I have been thinking about this product

[www.rainhandler.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 01, 2010 10:34AM
Consumer Reports reported on gutter guards this month. Of the various homeowner-installed versions, the 6 highest ranked were screens. The highest rated was Gutter Glove Pro (at $8.95 per foot) with an overall score of 89. The second through fourth were all Amerimax verions; Amerimax #85198, a plastic one (at $0.30 per foot) and a score of 86; Amerimax #85246, a metal one at $3.95 per foot and a score of 84; and Amerimax #85404, a metal one (at $0.40 per foot) and a score of 80. The two cheap Amerimax versions got "Best Buy" checks. They didn't show a picture of the expensive Amerimax, so I don't know how it differs from the cheap ones.

The various foam inserts all scored much lower, with overall scores of 46, 46 and 44. The lowest scores on the foam inserts all came from the category of "buildup" with "fair" scores on that category. The 2 cheap Amerimax versions both got "very good" scores in the "buildup" category. The best score on "buildup" in the homeowner-installed versions was the Gutter Glove Pro with an "excellent" score. No other homeowner-installed version received an "excellent" score on "buildup." But, the Gutter Glove Pro was also difficult to install and is much more expensive than the cheap Amerimax verions. "Buildup" is what you'd expect it to be--how well does it keep out debris.

Not all screens are the same. There is an Amerimax (#85270) that got a "fair" score on "buildup" and a Raingo (RW115) screen that got a "fair" score on "buildup."

Several of the professionally-installed versions got "excellent" scores on "buildup," but their overall scores maxed out at 86 largely because they don't do great with "severe flow" (runs over the top to the ground). They also cost $20-$30 per foot to install.

We installed something that looks just like the Amerimax #854054 20 years ago that I bought at Home Depot. We have half a dozen oak trees and a couple of hickory trees around our house. The screen does a fine job, although small debris gets caught at the roof-side edge of the guard where there are trees directly above the roof. I've cleaned that off maybe a half dozen times over the years. The areas that are not directly below a tree have never needed cleaning.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: August 01, 2010 02:02PM
Had the gutter foam installed 2 years ago, have lots of tree debris around my place. They seem to be working well, no complaints so far.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 02, 2010 12:37PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login