advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What PC companies / retailers take best care of their customers?
Posted by: stephen
Date: August 04, 2010 06:19AM
My aunt wants to buy a new laptop during this weekend's SC sales tax holiday. She'll probably go Windows. She is not tech-savvy.

I've offered to sell her my old MBP, but I understand if she wants something new.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What PC companies / retailers take best care of their customers?
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 04, 2010 07:16AM
Here is one data point - My nephew got an HP laptop a couple years ago when he went to college and has been very happy with it.
His dad was wise enough to purchase the Super Duper Extra Special Warranty® on it which more than paid for itself due to events
like books jumping off of shelves on it and breaking keyboards and other mysterious college events.

In each case the laptop was repaired and returned in 48 hours. The real payoff came last year when he had a problem with the screen
just a few weeks after the Super Duper Extra Special Warranty® had run out. My bro-in-law sent an email to arrange a repair and
just mentioned that he had been very happy with the HP but was a bit disappointed in the screen problems. HP stepped up and
provided free repair and paid for shipping.

Second (and third and forth) data point from same bro-in-law. He is on his third Dell laptop in four years. These were not bottom of the line
but expensive models that are supplied by his company (a large international) His IT people have reached the point that they
just junk them and give him a new one and don't even try to get repairs because it is not cost effective for them. He also has a
"nice" upper line Dell desktop that has been a POS since he got it and Dell has been absolutely no help. He is getting an iMac next year.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 04, 2010 08:12AM
Whenever I see how inexpensive those Windoze Laptops are....I want one. Then I start using one. That's a good cure. Clunky, ugly and difficult to use.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 04, 2010 08:33AM
Ya know - if you convince her to buy a low end Macbook, she can just use it to run windoze - and she will have Apple service -and can buy Applecare.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 04, 2010 08:50AM
vicrock
Ya know - if you convince her to buy a low end Macbook, she can just use it to run windoze - and she will have Apple service -and can buy Applecare.

Running windows on a Mac is not near as good as running windows on a PC. The bootcamp drivers are full of holes and leave a lot to be desired as far as functionality and speed of devices. In particular, clamshell mode doesn't work worth a crap nor does extending or mirroring work reliably. If she wants a PC I would get her a PC. I used to recommend running bootcamp on a Mac for PC people, but it is to much of a PITA working around all the little bugs in bootcamp.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 04, 2010 11:07AM
I have not kept up enough on long term customer service, so I really can not recommend any company. HP has tons of horror stories about their laptop support but I expect that is squeaky wheels rather than the norm.

How I would rank
HP, Dell
Toshiba, Acer
ASUS

The real problem with $400 to $600 laptops is that they screw with the features. You need a decent checklist to put the all through to make sure you do not run into a "gotcha" in 3 to 24 months, where the user finds out the computer won't do something they expect it to. There are more, but this is a quick list from what I remember.
# accept 8 GB RAM (some are stuck at 4 GB, not fully 64 bit clean hardware)
# SD card slot
# 3 USB ports
# minimum graphics Intel HD 4500 (Nvidia 9400 or Radeon 42xx are better)
# 10/100/1000 ethernet (way too many only have 10/100)
# HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, DVI or Mini DVI

Nice to have for future proof
# USB 3 or eSATA

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 11:09AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 04, 2010 12:44PM
C(-)ris
Running windows on a Mac is not near as good as running windows on a PC. The bootcamp drivers are full of holes and leave a lot to be desired as far as functionality and speed of devices. In particular, clamshell mode doesn't work worth a crap nor does extending or mirroring work reliably.

Are those the "holes" and 'loss of functionality' you're talking about? Do you think those things would be important to a "not tech-savvy" person?

...it is to much of a PITA working around all the little bugs in bootcamp.

Not for most people. Those "little bugs" you mention are hardly noticed alongside the bug that is Windows .
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 04, 2010 12:52PM
costco + american express would get her a 2 yr extended warranty and costco's return policies of 90 days on computers. Better than dealing with any company warranty generally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 12:55PM by michaelb.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 04, 2010 01:27PM
Dont get a Dell. Charger is going to give her problems. Going through four chargers in two years.

I would recommend HP and Toshiba
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 04, 2010 10:36PM
Article Accelerator
C(-)ris
Running windows on a Mac is not near as good as running windows on a PC. The bootcamp drivers are full of holes and leave a lot to be desired as far as functionality and speed of devices. In particular, clamshell mode doesn't work worth a crap nor does extending or mirroring work reliably.

Are those the "holes" and 'loss of functionality' you're talking about? Do you think those things would be important to a "not tech-savvy" person?

...it is to much of a PITA working around all the little bugs in bootcamp.

Not for most people. Those "little bugs" you mention are hardly noticed alongside the bug that is Windows .

Anybody who is used to docking their laptop would be pissed as hell that it doesn't work in bootcamp. I know plenty of PC idiots who dock their laptops in their fancy docking stations immediately upon getting to work or their home office. They are completely non tech savvy and get pissed off if clamshell or spanning doesn't work right for them without messing around.

Also, try doing some network and file transfer tests. The drivers for those devices are S L O W compared to when you are booted in OS X.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 10:37PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 04, 2010 11:09PM
Thanks for the elaboration, C(-)ris. I've noticed those same reactions too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020