advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Trolling for Southerners - It's Too Hot in Minnesota
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 09, 2010 01:56PM
93 degrees with 48% humidity today. I break into a sweat with little or no effort whenever I step outdoors. Although I like it for short periods of time, I don't know how people live like this for weeks or months at a time. smile smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trolling for Southerners - It's Too Hot in Minnesota
Posted by: Ironhorse
Date: August 09, 2010 01:57PM
And I don't know how you guys stand the snow all Winter.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 09, 2010 02:25PM
Simple... Air conditioning. Unfortunately mine took a hit from a power surge that came in thru Time Warner's cable on Friday night. Took out my TV, cable modem, router, and e-net port on my Sawtooth. The cable comes in through the brick wall where the low voltage AC wires come in too, right next to the outside box with the AC compressor. All low voltage components got zapped and the compressor won't turn on. The AC system is over 20 years old, probably should just replace it. 2K deductible on the house insurance, but better than 4-5k total cost (I'm guessing, my AC guy should be here today). Anyways, it's 94 outside with 70% humidity (a storm is brewing again), and 89 with similar humidity inside. Iced coffee, no shirt, and a paper towel to mop my brow. I going out for dinner, thats for sure, right after my third shower today.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 09, 2010 02:39PM
Central Arkansas here; been at or over 100 for most of the last few weeks, with a daily heat index between 106 and 115. As always, it's the humidity (75% or higher) that gets you.

Back in SE Louisiana, it was like walking through a thick atmosphere some days -- temps near or over 100, with near 100% humidity.

But I agree with Ironhorse; I couldn't live with all that snow. Near Little Rock, we get just enough snow. Usually a few snow-days for the kids a year. Not a fan of ice storms, though it was fun sledding down the street by my house. (Happy I work at home those days, and current days, at least when the A/C is working.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 09, 2010 02:43PM
neophyte --

I hear ya. Had my A/C go out about three weeks ago; it was murder. It was hot as hell in the house -- upper 90s in some rooms according to the little thermostat. Bought a cheap (under $100) window unit from Walmart but it couldn't keep a single room cool enough; it was just too hot outside. Took about 4 days to replace the compressor and get things rolling again.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 09, 2010 02:44PM
>>Usually a few snow-days for the kids a year.

heh, as if all snow days were created equal...

southern snow day - Holy $hit! There is snow on the ground!

northern snow day - might lose your kids in a snow drift. the more adventurous kids try to get lost in the snow drifts.

Posted by: Grace62
Date: August 09, 2010 03:01PM
Would it be rude to mention that it's 63 degrees here now?

If you need to beat the heat, a trip to the Northwest would do it. We are having one the coolest summers I can recall.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: August 09, 2010 03:51PM
Okay I'll take the bait..

iPhone snap of the dashboard temperature readout in my car at 5:00 as I am leaving work.

86% Humidity

Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 09, 2010 04:11PM
Played golf (walking 5 miles) early this morning, in MN. HOT. But remember this day in six months. I've had too much cold in my life - soon will be time for the winter migration south.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2010 04:39PM
48 % humidity is nice compared to 99% and a 73 degree dew point.

122 degrees in the desert with the convertible top down is like driving through a blast furnace with no face shield.
Posted by: jh
Date: August 09, 2010 04:47PM
Guess it is what you get use to. Cold up north and heat down south. Like it has been said, its the humidity more than the heat sometimes. Hot and humid where I am with heat index possibility as high as 110 tomorrow and above 100 for the rest of the week. Glasses fog up going outside from an AC building sometimes in the early morning. 108 to 120 on my concrete patio at the moment. Been outside working last few days and shirt gets soaked with sweat. Had heat emergency last week and air alerts also.

Growing up here with no AC in the house or cars (50's and early 60's). Them were the days. Sleeping at night was always an adventure.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 09, 2010 05:06PM
I find it interesting that people in the south can't take the snow but they'll spend 6-9 months in 100 degree heat with huge humidity. So you're basically living in tropical hell. I'll take the snow and a few weeks of bad heat.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 09, 2010 05:31PM
they'll spend 6-9 months in 100 degree heat with huge humidity. air conditioning

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 09, 2010 08:39PM
I am originally from Jacksonville, FL . . . spent 17 years in Michigan and finally gave up at the end of 2005 and moved to St. Augustine, FL. Moved to Flagler Beach, FL in 2008.

But, I couldn't get out of Michigan fast enough. Give me the heat over the cold and snow of Michigan. I KNOW it's hot down here . . . very HOT, but still, much better than the hibernating winters I endured in Michigan!!

Don't get me wrong . . . MIchigan is a GREAT place to live . . . 6 months out of the year! ! ! ! ! ! !

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 09, 2010 09:00PM
Bah! I LIVE in MI year round and the cold doesn't bother me! When the wind chill hits negative numbers during the winter, I go ouside, beat my chest and LAUGH at the cold!

Works every time. smiling bouncing smiley

However, tomorrow's forecast is 88º with high humidity and I get to spend several hours out in it cutting grass. I will NOT handle those conditions well. eye twitch smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: August 09, 2010 09:25PM
Only 48% humidity? That's practically bone dry!
It's been HOT in Birmingham for weeks & my yard has received less than an inch of rain since the 1st of July.

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 10, 2010 12:09AM
DaviDC.
Only 48% humidity? That's practically bone dry!
No doubt! Do you have any idea the depths to which I would sink, the personal degradations I would gladly endure, in exchange for 24 straight hours of 48% humidity? Whining over humidity will not be tolerated unless and until it is 80% or greater.

48% humidity? Pfft!

DaviDC.
It's been HOT in Birmingham for weeks & my yard has received less than an inch of rain since the 1st of July.
Not merely "hot" here, but STUPENDOUSLY HOT, even by local standards. Record-setting heat, in fact:
[blog.al.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: August 10, 2010 10:58AM
I'll take the cold over the heat any day.

If I'm cold, I can always add a another layer of clothing.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020