advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Loading OS 9 on Quick Silver....
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 09, 2010 02:19PM
I have a QuickSilver Dual 800 MHz G4, 1GB RAM. In the following list there are two QuickSilver models listed, this is not the QuickSilver (2002). For fun, I would like to play around with OS 9 on the QuickSilver.

[support.apple.com] QuickSilver Specs, Dual 800 MHz

According to the list in link below, I can run 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 on my QuickSilver. I have an OS 9.1 install disk, and I have both .smi updates for 9.2.1 and 9.2.2. According to the link below, my QuickSilver originally shipped with 9.2. Since I got this machine second had for use with OS X, I never got the 9.2 disks with it.

[support.apple.com] OS 8/9 Machine Compatibility

This is what I have done so far:

(1) I was using this machine as a Server running OS 10.5.8 (using Leopard Assist). I removed all the harddrives and SATA host controller card for use in another computer.

(2) Without harddrives installed in QuickSilver and power disconnected. I removed battery and pushed the little CUDA switch. Then I powered up my machine and Zapped PRAM. Not sure if this bought me anything, but I did it.

(3) Attached small 160 GB FireWire drive to QuickSilver, previously formatted for booting PowerPC machines. (Thought was to possibly install OS 9.1 onto the FW drive, for now. No other harddrives are installed internally at the moment.)

(4) Powered up QuickSilver, and inserted the OS 9.1 disk into the optical drive. I was hoping the machine would boot from the Install Disk (while holding down "c" key), but it doesn't. Nor is there a "compatibility check mark" for OS 9.1 for the QuickSilver at link above.

QUESTIONS

Do I need to start out with an OS 9.2 install disk? Is there such a beast?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 02:43PM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Loading OS 9 on Quick Silver....
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 09, 2010 02:45PM
I suspect that it'll need 9.2.x to boot up. Do you have another Mac that runs Classic? If so, and you have an internal HD available to install on the Quicksilver, put it in and boot in Target Disk Mode. Then run the OS9.1 installer on the other Mac and install it on the newly installed HD, followed by the 9.2.x updaters.
Posted by: Doc
Date: August 09, 2010 02:45PM
[www.lowendmac.com]

LEM says that Mac requires 9.2 or later and they're usually right.
Date: August 09, 2010 02:59PM
Doc: Surfing through the Google cloud, I came to same conclusion, OS 9.2 or later to boot. (I got the computer from brother-in-law. Might be a slight chance that he has install disks.)

neophyte: I do have a drive that I can put internal to the QuickSilver. I have a Wallstreet G3 PowerBook. Will that work with the setup you suggest? Not sure how to setup target disk mode, but I will figure it out. But, if both machines need FireWire, then the Wallstreet not up to task. LOL...
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 09, 2010 04:13PM
Target Disk mode requires Firewire on both ends.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Date: August 09, 2010 07:40PM
SKYLANE
I have a Wallstreet G3 PowerBook.

What OS is on the Wallstreet?

Do you have Toast on the Wallstreet?

If you've got 9.2 on the laptop, you should be able to make a bootable copy of 9.2 by simply burning a copy of the System Folder onto CD with Toast using the "make bootable" option.
Date: August 09, 2010 07:49PM
Doc: If I am not mistaken, I have 9.2.2 on the Wallstreet. I have a zip drive on there. I can get the data off, put it on my MacBook Pro and then burn to DVD via TOAST... but will that System installed on a Wallstreet boot up a QuickSilver? I could actually try and boot from external USB ZIP Drive?

By the way, I thought using a system installed on different hardware lacked drivers for specific peripherals? Enablers?

If I could put the OS 9.2.2 from Wallstreet directly onto the QuickSilver from the Wallstreet, I would be very happy. But, is that even possible to do hardware-wise. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.... winking smiley
Date: August 09, 2010 07:56PM
System enablers went out with System 7.5.

Yes, you can make a bootable Zip cartridge. Just copy the System Folder onto the Zip and confirm that the folder has been blessed. (It should display the unique System Folder icon.)

I think the 9.2.2 ROM file from a late G3 should be able to boot a G4. If it works, you probably should run the 9.2 updates on it while booted from the G4 to get any processor-specific stuff that might be missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 08:05PM by Doc.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 09, 2010 09:01PM
You are lucky, some late PPC Macs shipped with Mac OS 9.2.2. The only installation media that worked on these devices was the original system discs. There was no "retail" copy of 9.2.2, only 9.2.1.

Nathan
Posted by: decay
Date: August 09, 2010 09:12PM
the hard drive must be formatted with the box checked make os 9 bootable

---
Date: August 10, 2010 03:49AM
Addendum to the note about bootable Zip cartridges: You should initialize the Zip cartridge, copy the System Folder -- and bless it if necessary -- while booted from OS 9.
Date: August 10, 2010 12:06PM
Doc...

I got the pieces off my Wallstreet on to some ZIP disks. I am going to re-assemble the pieces using the MacBook Pro onto an external 120 GB drive (MiniStack). Then I plan to attach the external drive to the QuickSilver via FW first, then USB if necessary. To see if it will boot from that System Folder. Will let you know later how it goes...

I will be re-formatting the MiniStack assuring that it has Apple Partition with the OS 9 Button checked...

By the way, the system I am bringing over from the Wallstreet is 9.2.2. So, if it does install on the QuickSilver, I will attempt to run the 9.2.2 updater on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2010 12:12PM by SKYLANE.
Date: August 10, 2010 03:13PM
SKYLANE
Doc...

I got the pieces off my Wallstreet on to some ZIP disks. I am going to re-assemble the pieces using the MacBook Pro onto an external 120 GB drive (MiniStack).

"Pieces?"

Did you test-boot from your Zip using your Wallstreet? If you copied the System Folder onto a Mac formatted Zip then it should be able to boot the Wallstreet just like the OS on it's HD does. It should show up in the Startup Disk preferences.

If you move the System and Finder under OS X, the resulting System Folder will probably not be blessed.

You may be able to burn a bootable CD from the Zip using the MacBook if you do a Disc Copy (as opposed to burning a data disc) from a bootable Zip cartridge.

The QS doesn't have a Zip drive? Then I wouldn't rely on the MacBook.

I'd try to burn a bootable CD from the Wallstreet if possible.

Does your model have a burner in it? Do you have an old copy of Toast around? I think the "make bootable" option was present in every version of Toast up to v5.0.x.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020