advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Tighten the nuts on your garage door hinges.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2010 02:44PM
A few are a little loose. A couple are very loose. You'll probably need a 7/16" wrench or socket.

Important: Don't over-tighten, or you'll pull the carriage bolts through the door. Even if you don't, you'll probably pull a couple of them through a tiny bit, causing the paint to break and have to re-paint over them. Corollary: You needed to re-paint the door anyway.

Bonus points will be awarded if you add lock washers or some kinda Locktite so that you don't have to do this again.

What you'll gain:
The door will travel up and down smoother and eliminate that weird "clunk" midway through you couldn't identify, after looking at the roller and track and finding nothing amiss there.

Extra credit:
1) If your springs are old they will eventually break, possibly ruining the door opener motor. Adjust or replace as necessary. Extension springs are easy to service and replace without much effort; don't mess around with torsion springs yourself unless you know exactly what you are doing.

2) Replace or oil pulleys. It's available in a spray lube. Again, those of you with drums (torsion spring systems) may need a pro.

3) Replace the rollers with nylon rollers, but after you've done all of the above you may not be interested anyway—it'll already be quieter perhaps. Make sure you get good ones if you do replace them; something with ball bearings.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Tighten the nuts on your garage door hinges.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 09, 2010 02:48PM
I'll have the chauffeur do that when he waxes the Bently.
Posted by: jardster
Date: August 09, 2010 02:49PM
Thanks. What time you coming by to fix my door?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 02:49PM by jardster.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: August 09, 2010 02:59PM
Someone should develop an app/cloud service, so that like those fancy remote controls the Harmony (with its ease of learning your system), one could bring home a product (such as a garage door, or lawnmower, etc) Scan in the barcode, and it would access the manufacturer's website and populate your iCal (appts or to-dos) with the suggested maintenance schedule of tasks.

more stuff could be populated, too, like linking to site, subscribing to alerts/recalls, update/automatically scheduling service with your local provider, etc.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: August 09, 2010 03:20PM
Not so very long ago I had to repair a garage door where the hinges pulled away for the door frame, the wood split and splintered. Elmers' Wood Glue, shims and longer lag bolt/Screws saved the day... *(:>*

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2010 03:23PM
Haiku- Been there, done that. And the real fun, when you're working in a door and one of the old school springs fail. Sucker blew past my head at seemingly just below the speed of sound, putting a hole in the garage drywall 20 feet downrange. I shudder to think of the damage if it had hit me.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: August 09, 2010 03:32PM
Yeah I am thinking of the damages you could cause to that spring as hard headed as you are *(:>*
Mentioned with affection and the knowledge you-r still here making us smile *(:>*rolleyes smileythumbsup smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2010 03:33PM by haikuman.
Date: August 09, 2010 03:39PM
That was part of my recent motivation for working on the door. It had developed a weird sag, and appeared cockeyed in the tracks. Would go up noisily but not down unless we held the button all through the down cycle (which apparently bypasses the auto-reverse mechanism.)

One spring was OK but the other one was visibly weaker, with 3 stretched areas in it. No safety cable. $30 and 30 minutes later I had new springs and safety cables up.

Overall I saved a bunch of money; originally I thought I'd have to replace the door (it suffered our van hitting it and we repaired it with 3 stout steel bars. That's about the only advantage of a wood door IMO.)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2010 03:39PM
Oh yeah. Would have broken my glasses, spilled my beer !

And it almost went through my wife's car windshield, and THAT would have produced more *personal* damage to yours truly as a result. She loved that car....
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2010 04:10PM
If it's the nut turning and not the carriage bolt ( and not humidity instability) a nut lock is fairly easy to fashion from a small piece of tin.
You can also buy them.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 09, 2010 05:06PM
a drop or 3 of LocTite is even easier.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2010 05:21PM
....this is a euphemism for.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 09, 2010 05:24PM
And I thought this thread was going to be about self-massage... angel smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 09, 2010 07:43PM
PSA: If your garage door has a torsional spring, please pay a professional to repair or replace it. They're very dangerous and we've had enough bad news on this forum the last few months.
Date: August 10, 2010 09:02AM
Racer X
a drop or 3 of LocTite is even easier.

And, I'm thinking, a better solution here. A locknut or lock washer would still require extra effort to tighten down, and it's possible the carriage bolt would pull through before the lock took hold. At least in my experience. smiling smiley
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 10, 2010 09:07AM
If you don't have safety cables running through extension springs, go to HD/Lowes/hardware store, buy a set (~$10), and install them. Today.

They can save your life. They can save you from a lot of other damage, too.

They are very, very easy to install. Just do it with the door up (no tension on springs).

I bought nylon ball bearing rollers on eBay - much cheaper, work great, really quiet, came with a "free" can of spray lube. Easy to change, makes a great deal of difference in noise level.

Lastly, if you need one new spring, replace both at the same time. (And add the safety cable!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020