advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions on a new router?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 10, 2010 12:23PM
I need to replace my Buffalo WYR-54G router (lightning surge thru the cable, killed the modem and 2 computer ethernet ports too, gonna get a cable surge protecter too, you betcha). Anyway, I need at least 2 ports and wireless. I liked the Buffalo router, leaning towards the Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 150N on Amazon. Anyone using one of these?

There are probably many opinions and experiences with different routers. I'm open to all suggestions.

BTW, the 2 computers with dead ports are a B&W G3 and my everyday Sawtooth G4, both running OS 10.4.9. My old Farallon ethernet cards (1995-1996 vintage) won't do OSX (no drivers anywhere that I know of). I usually buy my Mac stuff from the sponsor of this forum, but the ethernet card for a plain PCI slot is kind of pricey (I don't want wireless for these). Headgap seems to have the best price on refurbs of any Mac-centric webstore I've looked at, but I haven't seen them all, I'm sure. Again, any suggestions appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions on a new router?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2010 12:29PM
Buffalos have always been the best in my book.

You could go wireless on both of those macs for $14 each.

Apply coupon code "MLC216279080930NL1" to drop it to $13.99. With free shipping

[www.meritline.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2010 12:35PM
that buffalo looks like a great choice, go for it!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2010 12:36PM
you should be able to find ethernet cards for those machines dirt cheap. perhaps someone on the forum will know the specs supported but i'm certain that generic cards will work.

Posted by: Cary
Date: August 10, 2010 05:53PM
DLink DIR-655 - rock solid, great throughput, great test results on anandtech and smallnetbuilder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020